Article Sizing Up The Syracuse Orange

• Highlight

Sizing Up The Syracuse Orange

NCAA Football: Pittsburgh at Syracuse
Syracuse Head Coach Dino Babers (Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports)

Believe it or not, the Syracuse Orange are now in year 5 under the reign of Head Coach Dino Babers.  And what a roller coaster it has been.

Sparked in 2018 by gritty senior quarterback Eric Dungey, who led the Orange to 10 wins and a trophy in the ACC’s 2nd slot bowl game (Camping World Bowl), the Babers’ regime has thus far failed to capitalize on the program’s early momentum.  Syracuse backfilled the 2018 campaign by putting an Elite 11 quarterback at the helm in 2019, Tommy DeVito.  Thus far, those accolades have failed to produce.

Offense

Babers has been known throughout his head coaching career as an offensive guru, starting with coaching Jimmy Garoppolo at Eastern Illinois. He followed with by replacing Dave Clawson, current Wake Forest head coach, at Bowling Green.  There he led the Falcons to a MAC championship in 2015 as part of a 10-win season where the offense produced 8 games of 40+ points. So far in 2020, Syracuse (0-2, 0-2) enters week 3 of its schedule in arguably the most dire position offensively that Babers has ever faced.

Through two games in 2020, DeVito has thrown for 144 yards total.  He has been sacked 14 times.  No, those sacks were not simply due to one bad game.  Both North Carolina and Pittsburgh tallied 7 sacks apiece.  The Syracuse offense has produced exactly one touchdown, and of course it came via the back-up quarterback who connected on play over the top for 69 yards against Pittsburgh. That play accounted for 69 of Syracuse’s 171 total yards for the game.

To make matters worse, the trying times on offense are only somewhat under Babers’ control.  Syracuse entered the preseason knowing its offensive line had razor thin depth.  Before the season started, the Orange lost starters at both guard positions as well as first-off-the-bench key reserves.  Adding to the depth disarray, the Orange lost its first and second string running back to opt-outs before game 1.

Common wisdom in baseball is that you are defined defensively by the strength up the middle (catcher, pitcher, second baseman, shortstop, center field).  In Syracuse terms, they’ve lost 2/3 of their middle from an already challenged personnel group.  As Georgia Tech experienced last year with its own injuries on the offensive line, an offensive coordinator cannot wave a magic wand to make things better.

Speaking of offensive coordinators, Syracuse has a new one in 2020 that will be familiar to Jackets’ fans.  The Orange brought in Sterlin Gilbert, previously the offensive coordinator at USF in 2017 and 2018.  In 2018, the USF Bulls racked up 35 points offensively en route to a 49-38 win over the Jackets in Tampa, FL.  Thus far, the early returns at Syracuse speak for itself, caveats previously noted.

Defense

If transition of scheme on offense wasn’t enough, Syracuse also transitioned to the 3-3-5 defense under new defensive coordinator, Tony White.  White coached defensive backs at Arizona State and was promoted to defensive coordinator in December before making the transition to Syracuse.  Thus far, the returns for the Orange have been surprisingly positive.

Despite the anemic Orange offense, Syracuse entered the 4th quarter of each of its first two games trailing within striking distance.  Against the Tar Heels on the road, the Orange trailed 10-6 entering the fourth.  Against the Panthers, the Orange trailed 21-10, the eventual final score.  Overall, not bad for a defense hung out to dry.

Given Georgia Tech’s turnover woes, it should be noted that the Orange’s best player on defense is junior safety Andre Cisco.  Simply put, Cisco is a ball hawk.  Somehow under the radar out of IMG Academy, Cisco managed to make national All-America teams his freshman year (not the freshman teams, mind you) after leading the NCAA with 7 interceptions.  He was All-ACC Second Team during his sophomore campaign in 2019.  He entered the 2020 season as the FBS Active Leader in interceptions (12) and #2 in passes defended per game (1.27). Thus far in 2020, he’s on the board with 1 pick off of Sam Howell.  He is everywhere on the field.

Special Teams

The Orange enter the game versus Georgia Tech with a decided advantage on special teams.  Based on what Georgia Tech has shown early that may not be saying much, however the comparison is most stark at the field goal kicking position.  Kicker Andre Szmyt, a former walk-on, was the 2018 Lou Groza award winner.  He is 50 for 58 for his career and has connected from over 50 in each of his first two full seasons.

The Orange also have a fairly dynamic punt returner this year in Nykeim Johnson.  At 5’ 8”, his low center of gravity and short area quickness makes him a threat to take it to the house.  He did just that against North Carolina, however the return was called back due to a blindside hit by the Orange return team that had no impact on the outcome of the play.

Keys To The Game

I’ll start by beating the familiar drum.  Turnovers and Special Teams.  If Georgia Tech can limit turnovers, I think the Jackets take this one.  Even with turnovers, it should be possible for Tech to stay in this via solid defensive play.

Of course, the injuries to the Syracuse OL has a doppelganger in Georgia Tech’s DL.  It could be argued that the Jackets will field the weakest defensive line that the Orange have faced thus far.  And you could say without argument that the Orange have a leg up on Special Teams, despite our absolute unit in Pressley Harvin (mandatory weekly shout-out).

Both Syracuse and Georgia Tech enter this game at inflection points.  Both schools, coaches and fanbases likely view this as a moment to keep the season on track.  If not, the result may lead to a spiral effect the other direction.  You never like to play a team with its back against the wall, particularly one playing at home for the first time this season. 

My prediction: Jackets 28-21.  The Jackets also need this win badly.  In the end the Syracuse offense likely remains mostly inept with few ways to overcome their issues in 7 days.  Assuming there is no starting quarterback change in Upstate NY, the Jackets will be facing a statue quarterback who generally runs only to keep defenses honest.  Because of this, even if Georgia Tech turns the ball over, it may require an opportunistic Orange defense to aid its team in the scoring column. 

Recognizing the Orange woes on offense, Collins and Patenaude can call a more conservative gameplan offensively, enabling Sims and the offense to regain its confidence and avoid the volume of unnecessary mistakes that doomed the Jackets this past Saturday. The Jackets will come back to Atlanta undefeated in ACC play and with an opportunity to use a bye week to rest up for its most daunting stretch of the season.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

I don't know if we can disparage anyone else's offensive scoring. I hope you got the score right.

You should look them up. We have about 920 yards of offense. They have under 400. They’ve scored only 1 touchdown through 2 games. We’ve scored 5.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I think GT 28 Cuse 17. Until we score more than 28 I can’t predict a score over that. We are much improved from last year and I’m very optimistic on where we are headed but through 14 CGC games we have demonstrated a glaring inability to finish drives, whether it’s turnovers or penalties in the red zone followed by missed FGs. Hopefully I’m wrong and we finally break the 28 point ceiling

GT_EE78

Banned
WE should cover ATS easily and by a few TD, however that should assumes less turnovers which isn't a sure thing.still this may be the best opportunity of season to bet GT.

Scubapro

Banned
You should look them up. We have about 920 yards of offense. They have under 400. They’ve scored only 1 touchdown through 2 games. We’ve scored 5.
C'mon man...I realize they haven't done anything regarding points. Us putting up 16 and 21 aint nothin' to write home about either.
This feels like a game we should put up some numbers. Hopefully we can see some different formations to take advantage of our running backs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am with you on this one. I wonder if we know how to put an underdog away at this point. They have played one game against an opponent considerably better than us ( UNC) and another against a team better than us ( Pitt ) . Exactly why do some think we will win easily ? Are we past making many of the mistakes we have been making ? As you said, I will have to see it to believe.
Stop with this "opponents that are better than us" crap. You don't know if either of those teams are better than us. If we don't have 6 turnovers Saturday, I dare say the outcome of that game is much different. I think as we grow up a little at some key positions, we will compete with almost everyone on our schedule (as long as we get some guys back and don't lose others).

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am with you on this one. I wonder if we know how to put an underdog away at this point. They have played one game against an opponent considerably better than us ( UNC) and another against a team better than us ( Pitt ) . Exactly why do some think we will win easily ? Are we past making many of the mistakes we have been making ? As you said, I will have to see it to believe.

I don't know that we will "win easily". I can understand that anyone watching those two games would come away with a sense of confidence gong up against the Orange. The two top running backs "opted out", their offensive line has a former tight end playing because of injuries, their quarterback is a statue, etc. That said, they are tenacious on defense running a 3-3-5 with multiple looks, they blitz a lot which may give up problems, and they have an outstanding safety and pretty good, rangy corners although Carter gets picked on a lot. Personally, if I were Coach Collins and Sims continued with the turnover binge I would take him out. We have to have this game or this season will spiral out of control. They are pretty much in the same boat so an air of desperation is warranted.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Someone may dig in a bit more than I have, but

1. Syracuse has a good group of safeties. Maybe this isn't the week that we start throwing deep: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ew-clemson-dominance-continue-else-make-noise.
2. Their offensive line was pretty bad last year, and seems to have been bad against Pitt also. If we can get some health on the defensive line, maybe this is a good week for us: https://www.nunesmagician.com/2020/...ades-vs-pittsburgh-orange-pitt-recap-panthers.
3. Their linebackers (same source) appeared to be really good against Pitt, but had trouble against the run against UNC. We'll need offensive balance.
4. Their secondary has some strong players, but also some players that can be picked apart (https://www.nunesmagician.com/2020/...th-carolina-orange-tar-heels-position-players). They slowed down the passing attack of UNC pretty well according to https://www.nunesmagician.com/2020/...h-carolina-ornge-football-tar-heels-mvp-recap.
5. The middle of the field was vulnerable against Pitt. Both UNC and Pitt picked on Ja'Had Carter.
6. Syracuse fans like their defense, but hate their offense. They hate their playcalling, are down on their QB and wide receivers (some of the good ones are gone after last year), and rate their running backs "ok".
7. They got behind the chains a lot against Pitt. (https://www.nunesmagician.com/2020/...ffense-vs-pittsburgh-acc-orange-panthers-pitt).

For us, the big questions are
1. Do we get some of our defensive linemen back and get more depth there?
2. How do our DBs do against Syracuse's WRs (who I don't think are as strong as UCFs or FSUs)?
3. Do we show up against Syracuse's OL like we did against FSU's non-starters on OL?
3a. Or do we look more like last Saturday?
4. Do we get our Tight Ends back for the red zone this week?
4a. If not, do we have a plan for some extra blocking or some other mismatch in that part of the field?
5. Is Tommy DeVito a bad QB three weeks in a row
6. Do we win the turnover battle?
7. Do we have our field goal kicking unit fixed?
8. Can our linebackers be disruptive this week?
9. Can we block better against Syracuse than we did against UCF?
10. Who else comes off the injury list for us (please)?
11. Can Syracuse steal any ideas successfully from UCF?
11a. Can we fix last week's issues?

[a lot more questions that I expected]

ETA: ESPN lists their 5 best players:
Five best returning players: FS Andre Cisco, K Andre Szmyt, CB Ifeatu Melifonwu, RG Dakota Davis, NB Trill Williams

Ifeatu Melifonwu has been showing out as a player. I'm not sure how he compares to Assante Samuel, but he's been pretty close to a shutdown corner, and their player of the game last week. Other places in the secondary seem more vulnerable.

Carter has been targeted so many times the last two weeks, it is a wonder he does not think he has a bullseye on his back.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Seems clear to me that turnovers will tell the story. I like our defense against their offense even if we still have the DEs out. And I like our offense to move the ball. But we are turnover prone through 2 games. Not going to win games regardless of competition when you’re giving up 4+ turnovers.

The program could really use a comfortable W though. Change the narrative back to “undefeated in conference play” and get into the bye week with some positive momentum to get healthy for the UL game (where we’ll really need the DL at full go).

Deleted member 2897

C'mon man...I realize they haven't done anything regarding points. Us putting up 16 and 21 aint nothin' to write home about either.
This feels like a game we should put up some numbers. Hopefully we can see some different formations to take advantage of our running backs.

I didn’t say it was. :D

920 yards of offense versus 390.
5 touchdowns versus 1.
37 points versus 12.
IIWII.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If we take care of the ball, this could be our first chance to blow someone out since Virginia Tech 2018. If we don't, it could be an ugly slap fight that could go either way.

But I think we get it done.

slugboy

Staff member
From the ACC Digital Network: Syracuse vs. Pitt, condensed to 20 minutes:

You can see Syracuse's OL being vulnerable. They can score and get behind you. Also, a good look at their defense.

In contrast, here's ours against UCF:

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
This is also the first game in the renovated Carrier Dome. Don’t know if that means anything but you never know

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again, through 2 games, I see Sims as being beyond his years in coolness, and he obviously has arm and leg talent.

With that said, I have seen nothing in the 2 games to make me feel good about his vision downfield. I am hoping he learns something watching the film to help him in this area. He must be able to see the field with his peripheral vision, and of course, he must be willing to go through his progressions (and quickly sometimes) so that he sees guys running open. Lastly, someone has to teach him 2 things that are different now than high school: 1. He probably will not make it 10 yards running on 3rd and 10, so he should keep looking for open receivers. 2. When he is in traffic running with the ball, he must learn to hold it correctly against his body with strong hands - these guys that are trying to separate him from the ball are not high school guys.

NOTE: One more thing he needs to learn - how to slide and get down to avoid taking mammoth shots - this is also different than HS.

I still have very high hopes for him, but these things will need to improve fast if we are to have a better year than 4-6 (or 4-7). (and of course, that is assuming the defense can get and stay healthy)

Last edited:

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Stop with this "opponents that are better than us" crap. You don't know if either of those teams are better than us. If we don't have 6 turnovers Saturday, I dare say the outcome of that game is much different. I think as we grow up a little at some key positions, we will compete with almost everyone on our schedule (as long as we get some guys back and don't lose others).
Well , we shall see, won't we. " IF we don't have 6 turnovers......., sure, but we did." That's why I said what I did about mistakes. Apparently most unbiased sources think they are better than us, too........UNC #11, Pitt #21.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yes. It was partly a tic aimed at you, but also has a serious element. What has happened to communications? Are we not capable of using our language correctly?
Yes, we are not. If you want proof listen to the president reading a prepared statement. He has no idea what punctuation is for. (And this is not a political post, but a comment on grammar.)

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Again, through 2 games, I see Sims as being beyond his years in coolness, and he obviously has arm and leg talent.

With that said, I have seen nothing in the 2 games to make me feel good about his vision downfield. I am hoping he learns something watching the film to help him in this area. He must be able to see the field with his peripheral vision, and of course, he must be willing to go through his progressions (and quickly sometimes) so that he sees guys running open. Lastly, someone has to teach him 2 things that are different now than high school: 1. He probably will not make it 10 yards running on 3rd and 10, so he should keep looking for open receivers. 2. When he is in traffic running with the ball, he must learn to hold it correctly against his body with strong hands - these guys that are trying to separate him from the ball are not high school guys.

NOTE: One more thing he needs to learn - how to slide and get down to avoid taking mammoth shots - this is also different than HS.

I still have very high hopes for him, but these things will need to improve fast if we are to have a better year than 4-6 (or 4-7). (and of course, that is assuming the defense can get and stay healthy)
Part of the problem for him is that defenses know he is inexperienced, so they disguise coverages, watch his eyes, etc. He will be fine. Best QB prospect we have had in a loooong time, and he has a very high ceiling. Just really learning the college game at this point.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Their OL is atrocious. I hope Thacker is dialing up the heat this game and we can end some drives with havoc plays.

Yeah, I think Collins and Thacker are salivating while game-planning for this. Even if we still have a couple of DL out, we should get some sacks.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

If we didn't fumble constantly and could kick a FG, we would easily be double digit favorites. These things have been factored into the line, I am sure.