Sims is gone.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to beat this to death nor do I wish to offend anyone, but here's the thing:

Freshman year, my girlfriend went on academic probation after her first quarter. Flunked out her second. I think she sat out a quarter then gave it one last try. After that, she never went back.

Now, is she TECHNICALLY, by definition, an alumna? Yes. Do I think of her as a Tech alum? Just because daddy paid three quarters' worth of tuition for her?

I guess I'm both in the minority and in error. But words do have connotations, and it just doesn't seem right to call someone an alum - a title of honor, IMO - without going the distance and walking across that stage.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just skeptical that "trained to put up with arbitrary bull****" is such a great thing GT instills in students. In Sims' case, it wouldn't just be the BS - and having development hindered under Collins for too long without the school pulling the trigger is something I'd put in that category - it would also be putting up with other people's scorn and vitriol.

Maybe he graduated, maybe he didn't, but if he didn't because he was tired of being hung out to dry by poor coaching and tired of hearing about the **** a bunch of much-older fans would toss around online... I don't think that reflects so poorly on him as much as it does on everyone else involved.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't want to beat this to death nor do I wish to offend anyone, but here's the thing:

Freshman year, my girlfriend went on academic probation after her first quarter. Flunked out her second. I think she sat out a quarter then gave it one last try. After that, she never went back.

Now, is she TECHNICALLY, by definition, an alumna? Yes. Do I think of her as a Tech alum? Just because daddy paid three quarters' worth of tuition for her?

I guess I'm both in the minority and in error. But words do have connotations, and it just doesn't seem right to call someone an alum - a title of honor, IMO - without going the distance and walking across that stage.
The alumni association has their definition. If I remember correctly, you have to have completed a certain number of semester hours (or quarter hours if you go back a while). By Webster's, she's in. To our Alumni Association, she probably doesn't have enough hours to qualify.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
The alumni association has their definition. If I remember correctly, you have to have completed a certain number of semester hours (or quarter hours if you go back a while). By Webster's, she's in. To our Alumni Association, she probably doesn't have enough hours to qualify.
What’s the hours on that? I got 91 credit hours with the majority coming from tech. Joined the army instead of going back and I’m about to retire so just wondering.

Personally, I have never considered myself an alumni cuz I didn’t graduate

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
What’s the hours on that? I got 91 credit hours with the majority coming from tech. Joined the army instead of going back and I’m about to retire so just wondering.

See! I'm not alone.

But if Tech sees you as an alum, grab that brass ring if you want it! :)

slugboy

Staff member

Go to gtalumni.org and try “contact us”. They should tell you.

If they haven’t hit you up for a donation, you’re probably short, but semester hours and quarter hours are different, and I’ve long ago forgotten the conversion between them.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Go to gtalumni.org and try “contact us”. They should tell you.

If they haven’t hit you up for a donation, you’re probably short, but semester hours and quarter hours are different, and I’ve long ago forgotten the conversion between them.
I only did semester hours there.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Okay, who gives a flying crap about what makes someone an 'alumnus' vs a 'graduate?' I don't. If you root for GT you are family to me and I'm glad you are a fan (well, most of you that is. ;) )

I thank Sims for his time he contributed to GT Football, I'm glad he's part of the GT family and agree that it's likely in everyone's best interest that he look at his post GT options.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

By definition you are an Alumni member. If male you are an Alumnus. If female an Alumna.