Sims Injury?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, I personally wouldn't go that far. It's an awful small sample size for Sims to play 1 quarter of football and to say he is sunk. It's pretty common for a young QB to start a game tight or hopped up and then loosen up and play better as the game progresses. It may be that Sims hasn't developed. I just can't tell from a single quarter.

As for Collins and the program, yeah there are some troubling signs. FG we missed 40+yarder and dude slipped on a shorter kick. Then a low trajectory 60 yarder was blocked. Could well be the unit will suck all year. Or not. Again small sample size.

More concerning is regularly beating teams statistically but losing on the scoreboard. Bad clock management, confounded by tempo, late game collapses, etc
We keep hoping the troubling signs and failings are anomalies, but as they mount the odds become stronger that they are not.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
For a positive note to this, Joe Hamilton struggled for a long time and ended up being in the run for the Heisman. Joe Burrow was a nobody QB his first few years in college and won the Heisman.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
What troubled me about Sims was the unforced fumble. He has a season under his belt, and needs to step up and reduce turnovers.

CDP is committed to Sims, so I do not expect to see Yates again unless Sims is injured again. No matter the performance by Sims.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Sims is a turnover machine. The sample size just keeps growing. We all hope he turns the corner but so far he’s played a little over a quarter this season with 1 turnover. The stats don’t lie.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
With Sims we ran the ball great those first few drives. I’m not sure what happened on that pass to Gibbs, but there were three other open passes he missed in that first quarter that were either first downs or TDs. Sims is good enough to hit those passes. I’d definitely start Sims, but if he isn’t showing signs of improving on the first few drives, I wouldn’t hesitate to bring in Yates and let him sit the rest of the game if Yates performs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What troubled me about Sims was the unforced fumble. He has a season under his belt, and needs to step up and reduce turnovers.

CDP is committed to Sims, so I do not expect to see Yates again unless Sims is injured again. No matter the performance by Sims.

The snap came in an inch off the ground. IMO, that fumble is the fault of the center.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This ^^
I thought the OC could have helped him out here.
Anyway Sims had a bad game. That happens. Sims also took GT to Tallahassee & WON. He wasn’t the sole reason for losses last year. People need to calm down and stop being prisoners of the moment. I like Yates, but Yates couldn’t beat out Graham nor Sims in now three summers so relax.
"...prisoners of the moment..." I like that. It pretty much describes how I am after a Tech game. Probably more so if I see the game in person, an increasingly rare event these days, and then watch it at home two or three times. The "moment" as it were becomes extended much to the displeasure of my wife.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Watch how WF runs their QB mesh. He holds the ball when the RB is moving into the hole and pulls it out the last possible moment which frees the LB. We seem to make the handoff from a standing start with an early read. I would have thought we would be better at that play with the backs we have.
Yeah, there’s something off putting about the way our mesh works. It feels like the quarterback and the RB huddle a few moments behind the line and then the QB says, “OK, here’s the ball, now you run it.”

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The only glaring problem I saw was that some of the passes were off by a lot - not even close. I don't know enough about it to say why they were off, but he's just simply off target.
In a superficial sort of way, it reminded me of when the much heralded "X Man" arrived at FSU to much fanfare. He was a Parade All American in both football and basketball as well as being named the much coveted "Mr. Football" for Florida. I only saw him play once against UNC and he actually played pretty good and his athletic ability and talent were obvious. Yet, in the fourth quarter when his team needed a winning drive he threw four straight passes away, three of them to wide open receivers at their feet. His first name was Xavier but I never saw him play again. When the lights come on, the sheep are separated from the goats pretty quick.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well, I personally wouldn't go that far. It's an awful small sample size for Sims to play 1 quarter of football and to say he is sunk. It's pretty common for a young QB to start a game tight or hopped up and then loosen up and play better as the game progresses. It may be that Sims hasn't developed. I just can't tell from a single quarter.

As for Collins and the program, yeah there are some troubling signs. FG we missed 40+yarder and dude slipped on a shorter kick. Then a low trajectory 60 yarder was blocked. Could well be the unit will suck all year. Or not. Again small sample size.

More concerning is regularly beating teams statistically but losing on the scoreboard. Bad clock management, confounded by tempo, late game collapses, etc

LB,
I actually was looking for us to look much better statistically but lose "in some way" a lot this season going 4-8.I would be relieved if we could do that now.
btw- to me,FGs are one of our least problems given that we can not sack ANYONE nor pass much in a pass-crazy era

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
If we had won Saturday, I’d say start Yates. We lost, so we should start Sims. It would be a good idea, however, to call some easy to complete passing plays during our first possession to help boost his confidence.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He's now thinking about it instead of just playing, just wonder if the 13/13 has gotten to him? Throwing it into the ground looks like fear to me. Coach P. said he just needs to play and I agree with that. He does not have anticipation of his receivers movements and seems late throwing the ball, at least that is how it appears to me, but I could be wrong about that.

Coach working with Sims in practice another week and and letting him watch Yates from the sidelines this weekend might be a good prescription for his development.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

**** happens. Maybe the RB squeezed a little too hard. How many QB's fumbled last week?

I don't understand our fans. Seriously.

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we can win this game no matter who starts at QB. For that reason, I say go w Sims if healthy. We will need him to continue to develop moving forward. No one in the ACC looked like world beaters week 1 so a bowl game is still on the table. Extremely unlikely based on our week 1 performance so we need sims to get all the experience he can moving forward

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
AJC reports Yates expected to start.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
AJC reports Yates expected to start.

As long as he protects the ball, moves the chains, and puts the ball in the end zone I’m good with it. This gives Sims time to heal up and Yates gets more live snaps.