Sims Injury?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This issue is we were all told how much better Sims was. His accuracy, understanding of the offense, etc all vastly improved. Then he trots out against a bottom feeder defense and misses 60% of his passes, some wide open. Scores ZERO points in 20-25 mins.

The back up, you’d think would have had less reps particularly with the starters, comes in and engineers a 97 yd, 18 play TD drive. Manages 3 TDs in 35-40 mins.

There was ZERO controversy until the performances were what they were.
I'm starting to not believe much of anything Geoff Collins says any more.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wake quarterbacks really hold that ball a long time in the mesh which as I think you meant to say "freezes" the linebackers. I don't know though if our quarterbacks want to trust their life and limb to an offensive line that has way too many matador blocks.
yep. freezes the LB. Wake doesn't recruit any better than we do.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I quickly rewatched some of Sims' play via the condensed game on youtube. Maybe it's just me grasping for some hope but, I don't think he looked quite as bad as some of y'all are painting the picture. Yes, he definitely had some bad throws but he also had some harrassment in the pocket that he shouldn't have had to face going against NIU. One play where he took a sack I think Minihan just fell down and their tackle was right in Jeff's face. That play was highlighted by the announcers that if he got it out a bit quicker it would've been a homerun play. If Minihan bought him an extra second it would've been.

And another play where they blitzed a LB right where our TE was leaving on a route and no one picked up the blitz and they got to his legs untouched. He got it out but it wasn't a good throw and probably not the right read. The throw he had right before the fumble/injury was a nice easy completion like some of y'all called for. It was a good pickup. I haven't given up on Sims yet.

And there were a couple of comments I saw immediately after the loss about Gibbs being "below average"....those are very dumb comments.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I quickly rewatched some of Sims' play via the condensed game on youtube. Maybe it's just me grasping for some hope but, I don't think he looked quite as bad as some of y'all are painting the picture. Yes, he definitely had some bad throws but he also had some harrassment in the pocket that he shouldn't have had to face going against NIU. One play where he took a sack I think Minihan just fell down and their tackle was right in Jeff's face. That play was highlighted by the announcers that if he got it out a bit quicker it would've been a homerun play. If Minihan bought him an extra second it would've been.

And another play where they blitzed a LB right where our TE was leaving on a route and no one picked up the blitz and they got to his legs untouched. He got it out but it wasn't a good throw and probably not the right read. The throw he had right before the fumble/injury was a nice easy completion like some of y'all called for. It was a good pickup. I haven't given up on Sims yet.

And there were a couple of comments I saw immediately after the loss about Gibbs being "below average"....those are very dumb comments.
The only glaring problem I saw was that some of the passes were off by a lot - not even close. I don't know enough about it to say why they were off, but he's just simply off target.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer

Sims looked very good running read option. We were getting more than 10 yards a play RUNNING the ball before he got hurt. The issue is we started to throw then got into 4th and long then decided to kick. If we just ran the ball and didn't throw and didn't kick we would have been up 14-0. I don't think they would have stopped us.

I understand we need to throw. I am not advocating we run like the prior regime. But, go up 14-0 against an opponent you should beat and the pressure comes off the passing game.

For me this is much less about Sims and way more about the playcalling (and play caller).

Also, this might be unpopular, but I would start Mason. Let him bang the defense a bit and bring in Gibbs once the D has lost a half step due to the pounding. I think Gibbs has the ability to put up video game numbers. I'd also like to see Gibbs running the ball on the outside, not just up the middle.

Hopefully Sims comes back 100% and is ready to take the next step.

/

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sims looked very good running read option. We were getting more than 10 yards a play RUNNING the ball before he got hurt. The issue is we started to throw then got into 4th and long then decided to kick. If we just ran the ball and didn't throw and didn't kick we would have been up 14-0. I don't think they would have stopped us.

I understand we need to throw. I am not advocating we run like the prior regime. But, go up 14-0 against an opponent you should beat and the pressure comes off the passing game.

For me this is much less about Sims and way more about the playcalling (and play caller).

Also, this might be unpopular, but I would start Mason. Let him bang the defense a bit and bring in Gibbs once the D has lost a half step due to the pounding. I think Gibbs has the ability to put up video game numbers. I'd also like to see Gibbs running the ball on the outside, not just up the middle.

/
Gibbs needs to be more involved in the passing game as well. If he gets 3 catches for 17 yards against a bad team then we didn't use him very well.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The FSU game from last year actually has me wondering. He went 12/16 in the first three drives of that game, 15/23 in the first half. He actually looked much better than he did against NIU. How is it that he performs so much better in his first college game, with little real prep time against a talented defense than he does against a pretty bad team in year two with plenty of prep time? Hopefully its just a one game thing and not a confidence issue.
i was actually thinking of that game, imo a big key to his success that night was all the easy throws throws he completed in the first few drives

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was disappointed in Sims passing on Saturday, but I temper that with the fact that he played less than a half. I am hopeful that he just had a bad quarter and will come out and show improvement moving forward.
I hope so, too. If he hadn't had trouble with accuracy in the short-to-medium range last year, there wouldn't be nearly as much concern. Looks like he's going to start Saturday, so we'll see what happens. I sure did like Yates' performance...

slugboy

Staff member
i was actually thinking of that game, imo a big key to his success that night was all the easy throws throws he completed in the first few drives
He wasn't really making reads or running the offense in that game. He was doing what he did in High School, throwing where he thought someone would be open.

Like in baseball, your rookie start can be great, but you have to be able to perform when "your opponents have the book on you"--which they did after FSU. That's why you have to use the offensive scheme, at least a little bit.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I hope so, too. If he hadn't had trouble with accuracy in the short-to-medium range last year, there wouldn't be nearly as much concern. Looks like he's going to start Saturday, so we'll see what happens. I sure did like Yates' performance...
Maybe I have a bad memory, but I seem to recall people being pretty pleased with his short and medium passing game last year. It was the deep balls people thought he couldn't throw, often comparing him to Graham who could only throw the deep ball to Ahmarean Brown.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This issue is we were all told how much better Sims was. His accuracy, understanding of the offense, etc all vastly improved. Then he trots out against a bottom feeder defense and misses 60% of his passes, some wide open. Scores ZERO points in 20-25 mins.

The back up, you’d think would have had less reps particularly with the starters, comes in and engineers a 97 yd, 18 play TD drive. Manages 3 TDs in 35-40 mins.

There was ZERO controversy until the performances were what they were.
I have to disagree. Tons of pressure on starter. Not much pressure on backup. Sims came out jittery. He would have calmed down (probably watching a series). We'll never know. I've always been comfortable with Yates as a backup.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree. Tons of pressure on starter. Not much pressure on backup. Sims came out jittery. He would have calmed down (probably watching a series). We'll never know. I've always been comfortable with Yates as a backup.
Coming in down 14-0 in the first game of the season against a team you are supposed to be beating easily is a decent bit of pressure.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If this is what we get out of the QB position after all the hooprahs/compliments BS on HOME field vs the 110th!!!! team in nation,then this program is SUNK.Collins is dead and maybe GT football at the P5 level.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

/

This. I said as much in chat during the game. From what we hear Sims was red hot the last two weeks of practice and our OC thought he'd be able to hit the guys he imagined would be running free (and did in fact run free).

That said when you are picking up chunk yardage running the ball and they can't stop there is no reason to do anything else but pound the ball. I was yelling at my screen when those plays happened. Drive killers. Yes, I know it's conservative. But hell it's the first game. Let's pound on 'em some, get their hands on their hips, get a lead, and THEN start hitting the passes we've set up with the runs. I know they started to load the box and the passes were there. But if they load the box and you still run all over them that's even more reason to keep running. Especially first game.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks to WreckinGT, UGA BLows, and others for reminding me of that Florida State game. I remember thinking, "Wow! We have a quarterback who can throw! How long has it been?" Sims' setup and delivery were smooth, and he even showed good touch.

I am ready to quit puzzling about Sims. I know he can throw the ball. I'm sure the OC is working very hard on figuring out what he can do to help him throw the ball in the game as well as he does in practice.

I'm tempted by the idea of running a whole bunch and getting a dang win, but I don't see how Sims is gonna ever get in a passing grove unless he keeps throwing it.

That said, I'd keep Yates handy just in case.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
If this is what we get out of the QB position after all the hooprahs/compliments BS on HOME field vs the 110th!!!! team in nation,then this program is SUNK.Collins is dead and maybe GT football at the P5 level.
Well, I personally wouldn't go that far. It's an awful small sample size for Sims to play 1 quarter of football and to say he is sunk. It's pretty common for a young QB to start a game tight or hopped up and then loosen up and play better as the game progresses. It may be that Sims hasn't developed. I just can't tell from a single quarter.

As for Collins and the program, yeah there are some troubling signs. FG we missed 40+yarder and dude slipped on a shorter kick. Then a low trajectory 60 yarder was blocked. Could well be the unit will suck all year. Or not. Again small sample size.

More concerning is regularly beating teams statistically but losing on the scoreboard. Bad clock management, confounded by tempo, late game collapses, etc

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The FSU game from last year actually has me wondering. He went 12/16 in the first three drives of that game, 15/23 in the first half. He actually looked much better than he did against NIU. How is it that he performs so much better in his first college game, with little real prep time against a talented defense than he does against a pretty bad team in year two with plenty of prep time? Hopefully its just a one game thing and not a confidence issue.
He's now thinking about it instead of just playing, just wonder if the 13/13 has gotten to him? Throwing it into the ground looks like fear to me. Coach P. said he just needs to play and I agree with that. He does not have anticipation of his receivers movements and seems late throwing the ball, at least that is how it appears to me, but I could be wrong about that.