Sims=Bilbo

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sims is very athletic and can do a lot of things on the football field. He is also pretty raw still and needs a lot of coaching. I’m not sure our quarterback coach/offensive coordinator knows how to do that.
Maybe Sims should try to get Yates' position coach since Yates has improved a lot?

Both Sims and Yates are better than last year, so the shots at CDP are unwarranted in that respect, imo.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't track the statistics as a teenager/young man back then, but I do know "we lost a lot of good men" down there on North Avenue "back in the day" for me to be worried about my graduation until maybe my late junior/early senior year. A lot of my buddies in Techwood Dorm were paid "a visit by the Turk" so to speak and left with bags packed. Or else stayed in school by switching to the M train.

Hopefully by switching and changing the culture a bit it may lessen that feeling of seeing the guy or gal on your left and right as someone trying to take your spot in the graduation line. I know this - I am friends, colleagues and neighbors with quite a few SEC alums. When they speak of their undergrad experiences, they do so fondly and with warm memories that I don't hear from my GT buddies. Mind you, we all are glad to have matriculated at the "I" and wouldn't change a thing. But it IS a different experience than the one your golfing buddy who went to Auburn or Ole Miss or the like went through. All anectodal data here of course.
I think this is overblown. I was in school in the 80s before Tech started to care about retention rates. My time at Tech was an absolute blast. My grades weren't great, but they were acceptable for the time. Yes, i knew people who busted their butts and still struggled, but i also knew a ton of people who couldn't have partied any harder at other schools and they still got out. Maybe their grades would have been better at other schools, but they still got out of Tech.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this is overblown.
Perhaps. However, in speaking with my peers who went elsewhere, I think the biggest difference between GT and other schools (from what I gather), especially back then, is that the fear of flunking out simply didn't or doesn't exist at most (not all) schools. This is especially true now that retention (read $) is a key metric for everyone. But in the space of typing this I can think of at least 7-8 guys in my freshman dorm (the infamous Techwood) who were "processed" early on. And these guys had the credentials to be admitted. Did i have a good time? Yes when time permitted but I also busted my rear end as well and was especially conscious of the opportunity cost of having a good time as was discussed in a previous thread on this topic. But I am relatively sure I might be the dumbest guy to ever get out. I was too stupid to quit or give up.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
That game sucked big hairy balls
It did. Fresno state had a major playmaker Safety that ended up going to the league. He played for the Chargers for a long time. I just remembered his name but going to see who else can remember. I’ll wait a couple hours and give another hint.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps. However, in speaking with my peers who went elsewhere, I think the biggest difference between GT and other schools (from what I gather), especially back then, is that the fear of flunking out simply didn't or doesn't exist at most (not all) schools. This is especially true now that retention (read $) is a key metric for everyone. But in the space of typing this I can think of at least 7-8 guys in my freshman dorm (the infamous Techwood) who were "processed" early on. And these guys had the credentials to be admitted. Did i have a good time? Yes when time permitted but I also busted my rear end as well and was especially conscious of the opportunity cost of having a good time as was discussed in a previous thread on this topic. But I am relatively sure I might be the dumbest guy to ever get out. I was too stupid to quit or give up.
I was in Brown Hall and pretty much every guy in the group that I hung out with flunked out. It was definitely the party crew. I switched over to the M train after flunking out but ended up matriculating through…eventually. Living in ATL on my parents dime was the greatest time of my life.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in Brown Hall and pretty much every guy in the group that I hung out with flunked out. It was definitely the party crew. I switched over to the M train after flunking out but ended up matriculating through…eventually. Living in ATL on my parents dime was the greatest time of my life.
I was very immature and my parents pretty much paid for everything. lol. It was awesome. I never really worried about flunking out. I just needed my grades to be good enough. My metric was GPA/time studying - summa cum laude.

edited to add: I was the only one of their kids to go to an in state school.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
It did. Fresno state had a major playmaker Safety that ended up going to the league. He played for the Chargers for a long time. I just remembered his name but going to see who else can remember. I’ll wait a couple hours and give another hint.
Initials are E.W.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
QB at uga backup to starter but has started with their number 1 out 5 year guy.

If that's the case, which I have no doubt in the accuracy of your post, then I would have to say that it's a good thing for us Tech fans in that you can't win a natty without a Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrows or Vince Young or Cam Newton or similar type QB. The national championship QB's are household names/Heisman Trophy Candidates. I have never heard of their guy before this thread. When you get into those last 4 teams, it's QB play that differentiates them. It's similar to the NFL now with the new rules.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They seem to be the same inconsistent players.
Yates should get the last drive.
Disagree with the comparison to Bilbo. They are not the same kind of player. I know Sims can be maddeningly inconsistent and he went a long stretch of missing receivers and not making first downs in the Duke game but with the ball game on the line, he and Sanders made the plays. Cut chose to kick field goals, Tech scored TDs. The holding call left a crack and the Jackets kicked it wide open.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He had more than those two. Off the top of my head there was the sideline pass to sanders, the seam route to Carter, the post corner to McGowan.

I think the reason Sims is so polarizing is that we see him hit passes like the above while trying to force stuff like the comeback pick. I think if he can settle in and learn to take the sack or get rid of the ball, he can really elevate his game. That is one area I think Yates has him beat.
That post corner route run by McGowan was a thing of beauty.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t Worrell’s name Cam?
Eric Weddle is the guy I’m talking about. BUT…he played for Utah. That was another embarrassing bowl game. Was it the Silicon Valley bowl? I could look it up but I’m trying to find out who is playing the Braves in the NLCS right now.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Eric Weddle is the guy I’m talking about. BUT…he played for Utah. That was another embarrassing bowl game. Was it the Silicon Valley bowl? I could look it up but I’m trying to find out who is playing the Braves in the NLCS right now.
You were killing me. I couldn’t figure it out, then I broke down and resorted to an internet search of Fresno St NFL players and could find no EW. I admitted defeat and was waiting for you to answer.

Utah was the “nut bowl”. Aptly named as we were in SF. You can catch that TD pass in the corner of the endzone but be ready to eat the OF wall!!!!

sonngy

Georgia Tech Fan
Sims should try to emulate his play similar to Matt Corral (Ole Miss). Seeing him play gives me hope for what Sims could be in the future

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Sims should try to emulate his play similar to Matt Corral (Ole Miss). Seeing him play gives me hope for what Sims could be in the future
Yesterday, when Kiffen was being pelted by Tennessee fans by golf balls among other things, he was asked by a sideline reporter after the game what gave him confidence and comfort (or words to that effect) his answer was "Matt Corral". Ole Miss is elite on offense, but in Duke territory on defense. Tennessee nearly drove down for a winning TD in the last minute. Giving new meaning to the old Yogi Berra quote "It isn't over...until its over"

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The refs blew that fourth down spot. Replay should have been used to correct it. May still have been short but that was poor officiating. Fans still haven't forgiven Kiffin. I was at a UT GT game in Knoxville in 1965. I was in their student section and our RB broke off a long run up the middle. We were behind a couple of touchdowns. I stood up cheering and about 3 empty whiskey bottles went just over my head. Probably hit some of their own fans.