Sims and Turnovers

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
It could be he has small hands. There's no coaching for that issue. It's not a coincedence that over the years, players with a larger hand span hold onto the ball and rarely fumbled.

Last edited:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
After six weeks Sims leads the nation in fumbles (6), fumbles lost (4) and is second in the nation in interceptions. It’s hard enough to win when you turn the ball over, but if you add to this that we have a historically bad defense it’s near impossible. He’s got to clean this up or we may not win again.

Some of the tipped balls weren’t his fault, but there’s plenty of poor decisions mixed in as well. Dropping the ball on snaps is just concentration and needs to get corrected quickly.

Youth comes into play here, but what can coaches do to help a young guy having this problem?
Not to mention, at least twice he fumbled the ball on attempted passes by just simply letting go of the ball. I have never seen that outside of peewee ball. Seriously. Never in high school. Never in college games.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, Patenaude said this was pretty much Sims worst read all year. Said it was a very easy read and he went to the wrong guy. It was also right after he had taken a couple big hits and they were concerned if he was good to go still. After that bad read is when they decided he probably wasn't and needed to sit. They brought James in because of the feel of the game and they had some stuff for James that they thought would work well against BC's defense. So that explains both why Sims was pulled to start and why James came in instead of Tucker at that point.

He should not have been in that position at the goal line. Run the ball.

He should not have been in that position at the goal line. Run the ball.
I think after re watching the Gm, I think that Sims took a Sack on the previous series and had his helmet slammed into the turf, after seeing that I thought he should have been in the Concussion Protocol and never should have been on field to make that throw

What really pisses me off is that the Punt returner let the ball bounce and roll and we ended up pinned deep instead of the ball at the 20ish yd line

It pisses me off that Guys on the team don't understand that we have guys on offense that can do some damage (Sims, Gibbs, Malachi & the WRs) if the rest of the team can just show some damn GRIT and give those guys some help, the friggin Punt Returner didn't help us at all in that sitch

slugboy

Staff member
I think after re watching the Gm, I think that Sims took a Sack on the previous series and had his helmet slammed into the turf, after seeing that I thought he should have been in the Concussion Protocol and never should have been on field to make that throw

What really pisses me off is that the Punt returner let the ball bounce and roll and we ended up pinned deep instead of the ball at the 20ish yd line

It pisses me off that Guys on the team don't understand that we have guys on offense that can do some damage (Sims, Gibbs, Malachi & the WRs) if the rest of the team can just show some damn GRIT and give those guys some help, the friggin Punt Returner didn't help us at all in that sitch

Patenaude made a comment about that in his presser that it took the coaches a bit to realize how affected Sims was, and they pulled him out afterwards.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Meh, it was a big mistake but McCollum is a true freshmen who was playing in I think his first game, not a huge concern for me at this point. We've had seniors make equally dumb or dumber mistakes returning kicks in the past.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck

I want everyone to go look at BC offensive run play at the 2:05 mark of the video. It basically shows our defense in a nutshell. And why we it's so easy for teams to move the ball on us.

- 4 Man front/2lb/ looks like cover 2 with a nickel at the start

At the snap:
-2/3 DL gets no push and blown back off the ball, #94 actually creates some penetration, which is great, but cant get off a block to make the play, their OL creates the LOS 2-3 yards toward our side of the ball for the most part.
-AC is unblocked and responsible for any cutback/reverse action toward the backside of the play
-Curry is on a blitz that ends up being on the opposite side of the play, he gets washed trying to come back to the play side, watch how he just stands behind our DL getting blocked, almost trying to look over him to see where the ball is, there is no reason for him to be waiting on the backside of the play when AC is standing there unblocked, he needs to be doing everything humanly possible to get over to the ball
-Watch Quez let the OL run out to him 4-5 yards downfield and just get absorbed by the block and out of the play, instead of running to the hole and at minimal, causing traffic in the hole and forcing the RB to redirect or go around, hopefully possibly beating the OL to the hole and making a play at the LOS
-Juanyeh is coming up on sort of a delayed run blitz from the Safety position and other safety looks like dropping in cover 1, he is just dancing around looking for the RB and basically doesn't make the tackle until 8-9 yards downfield for a first down.

There are so many bad things we do, but this play is glaring showing how poor our LB play is especially and in general, IMO, outside of 1 guy on the DL, terrible effort and look lethargic. No one is exploding to the ball and making a play. Overall, we have terrible football instincts at our LB and Safety positions.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention, at least twice he fumbled the ball on attempted passes by just simply letting go of the ball. I have never seen that outside of peewee ball. Seriously. Never in high school. Never in college games.
I'm not saying it's excusable, but you've really never seen this? It's the reason the tuck rule exists in the NFL

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude made a comment about that in his presser that it took the coaches a bit to realize how affected Sims was, and they pulled him out afterwards.
It looked like CGC was having him "how many fingers" as he was coming off the field one time. Can't remember what time in the game it happened.

slugboy

Staff member
I want everyone to go look at BC offensive run play at the 2:05 mark of the video. It basically shows our defense in a nutshell. And why we it's so easy for teams to move the ball on us.

At the snap:
-2/3 DL gets no push and blown back off the ball, #94 actually creates some penetration, which is great, but cant get off a block to make the play, their OL creates the LOS 2-3 yards toward our side of the ball for the most part.
-AC is unblocked and responsible for any cutback/reverse action toward the backside of the play
-Curry is on a blitz that ends up being on the opposite side of the play, he gets washed trying to come back to the play side, watch how he just stands behind our DL getting blocked, almost trying to look over him to see where the ball is, there is no reason for him to be waiting on the backside of the play when AC is standing there unblocked, he needs to be doing everything humanly possible to get over to the ball
-Watch Quez let the OL run out to him 4-5 yards downfield and just get absorbed by the block and out of the play, instead of running to the hole and at minimal, causing traffic in the hole and forcing the RB to redirect or go around, hopefully possibly beating the OL to the hole and making a play at the LOS
-Juanyeh is coming up on sort of a delayed run blitz from the Safety position and other safety looks like dropping in cover 1, he is just dancing around looking for the RB and basically doesn't make the tackle until 8-9 yards downfield for a first down.

There are so many bad things we do, but this play is glaring showing how poor our LB play is especially and in general, IMO, outside of 1 guy on the DL, terrible effort and look lethargic. No one is exploding to the ball and making a play. Overall, we have terrible football instincts at our LB and Safety positions.
I looked through it a couple of times. It’s a YouTube video, and the cog/gear will let you set the playback speed to 1/4 (0.25) speed for slo-mo. If I could have run it slower, I would have.
Instead of using “right” and “left” I’ll talk about the top of the screen and the bottom.
Pretty much agree with your description.
72 from BC completely takes Quez out of the play, and Quez was the guy who was in the best position to make it. Quez is almost lined up exactly where the run is going. He got pushed several yards out of the play. 72 dwarfs him, and Quez’s one advantage should be to commit faster and beat his man to the spot so that he whiffs.
BC’s entire OL slants to towards the top of the screen. I’m not sure what we were trying to do, but if Curry is blitzing along the bottom edge (and he did), then I’d think most everyone else on the DL should be stunting towards the top of the screen. Not only did BC’s line blow our guys off the ball, but they easily got to their spots first. It hardly seems like our DL was stunting—in comparison, it looked more like they were going straight. From an offensive point of view, that’s how you draw the play up, but you hardly expect it to happen that solidly.
The blitz looks uncoordinated, like we were guessing that BC was running towards the bottom of the screen. Curry is blitzing towards the bottom edge of the line. Juanyeh is lined up towards the bottom of the screen, starts later from his spot, and is blitzing to a spot near where Curry is blitzing. It looks like someone is filling the wrong gap—maybe multiple players.
To Juanyeh’s credit, he makes the tackle 6-8 yards downfield.
BC was going to get 3-4 yards just from the line surge, unless Quez makes a play.
I’m just learning the 4-2-5 scheme, but as I understand it, the key idea is to bring more speed and disrupt the other team before they can make a play. BC executed much faster than we did, and they were bigger as well.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

At the snap:

yep---I re-watched the game and our DL is weak (expected) but our LBing is just bad.Neither Curry nor Quez have speed nor agility. Scary that we have an ex-running back on 2nd string LB and DOESN"T play.Next yr what happens?Where are are super FR? alsoC.Thomas needs to play more even though he can't cover passing either but he seems better than Kaleb.
It would help A LOT if J.Thomas could tackle to make up for LBs a bit.
Just a mess .The stats and film don't lie.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
and the cog/gear will let you set the playback speed to 1/4 (0.25) speed for slo-mo. If I could have run it slower, I would have.
So, if you're comfortable opening up chrome or firefox dev tools, it is pretty easy to adjust the video speed of youtube videos.

You just need to run this in the console (0.1 would be 1/10 speed, adjust to whatever):

document.querySelector('video').playbackRate = 0.1;

There are also some chrome extensions that allow for this to be done with a UI widget (I personally use Video Speed Controller which allows me to 2x speed all online videos, and I think it allows for customizing the speeds available). Anyways, sorry for the detour, but I thought it would help.

slugboy

Staff member
So, if you're comfortable opening up chrome or firefox dev tools, it is pretty easy to adjust the video speed of youtube videos.

You just need to run this in the console (0.1 would be 1/10 speed, adjust to whatever):

document.querySelector('video').playbackRate = 0.1;

There are also some chrome extensions that allow for this to be done with a UI widget (I personally use Video Speed Controller which allows me to 2x speed all online videos, and I think it allows for customizing the speeds available). Anyways, sorry for the detour, but I thought it would help.
If I hadn’t watched on a tablet, it might have been an option. I’ll tuck that tidbit away for later, though

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I'm not saying it's excusable, but you've really never seen this? It's the reason the tuck rule exists in the NFL
The reason for the tuck rule is different from what I recall seeing twice from Sims. The ball just popped out of his hand and not while in the midst of a throwing motion...as if he has trouble holding on to the ball.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The reason for the tuck rule is different from what I recall seeing twice from Sims. The ball just popped out of his hand and not while in the midst of a throwing motion...as if he has trouble holding on to the ball.
Pretty sure the instances youre referring to happened when Sims changed his mind about making a throw and was trying to pull the ball back down. Like a pump fake gone wrong.

It happens in baseball more than a few times throughout a year with outfielders who change their mind about where to throw the ball mid throwing motion. The old “slippery soap” play. It happens to QBs as well, it’s not nearly as rare as you’re implying it is. That issue will get cleaned up as Sims becomes more decisive with the ball and more confident in his reads. Will become a non-issue before Sims is done at Tech

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Pretty sure the instances youre referring to happened when Sims changed his mind about making a throw and was trying to pull the ball back down. Like a pump fake gone wrong.

It happens in baseball more than a few times throughout a year with outfielders who change their mind about where to throw the ball mid throwing motion. The old “slippery soap” play. It happens to QBs as well, it’s not nearly as rare as you’re implying it is. That issue will get cleaned up as Sims becomes more decisive with the ball and more confident in his reads. Will become a non-issue before Sims is done at Tech
I’ll meet you have way. At least one of those two (if not both) was not not from pulling the ball back down. The ball just popped out of his hand.