Sims and Turnovers

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
change that I called him your guy into thing one and thing two if you want. The point still stands the same. You can try to start some argument saying that I am mad or bashing our players, but as usual, it is the opposite of that. I don’t know where you would come up with any of that, but I guess it is what it is. The single point of my post is that in your post it felt like cherry picking of data since you were selectively excluding part of each players data set.
I made a post defending one player who was taking his first snaps of the season and only had a few series to do anything, and really wasn't that bad. That upset you enough to respond. Again, i'm not sure why. The entire point of my post was about cherry picking data. They aren't two comparable data sets.

Deleted member 2897

I made a post defending one player who was taking his first snaps of the season and only had a few series to do anything, and really wasn't that bad. That upset you enough to respond. Again, i'm not sure why. The entire point of my post was about cherry picking data. They aren't two comparable data sets.

You have pure troll in your blood. Look at you going again mocking me and twisting words. It is what it is. Go back and look at my post – it was one single sentence basically showing how you were selectively excluding parts of data from each data set. Go look at your post again - you excluded the fact Graham was playing against backups and then excluded all of Sims’ scoring drives on the other hand. I don’t really cate who plays at QB as long as they give us the best shot to win. I just find it interesting when people go out of their way like that one way or the other..

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I think a specific qb coach on the sidelines would help sims a lot after drives when he sits down. It hurts CDP being the qb coach because he is in the press box. I’ve seen Yates kind of being a qb coach on the sideline some this year. The coach could benefit him by calming down, telling him what he sees and what to read and not read. I could Yates see being a graduate assistant qb coach since he has a lot of smarts as a qb

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Several of Sims fumbles (especially slipping out of his hand) may be that he is still trying to process too much information and the game is still moving too quickly for him. It may slow down at some point for him but until it does we should expect more of the same. Experienced QB's manage the game and don't just play the position relying on their athleticism. Once he learns to manage the game he can be exceptional.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
If Gleason does not see the field this year I would expect him to transfer. This is a free year of eligibility for Sims so he has at least 4 more years. JG has 3 more and the kid from CA will have 5 to play 4 next year. So he and Sims will be the same in terms of eligibility next year but Sims will have had a free year as a starter. We will be lucky to have any of them except Sims after next year. Yates is a mystery as to what he will do. The QB position is a log jam right now and this free year of eligibility has really complicated our situation at QB.
I know you didn't say this but this "complicated situation" is not a bad thing. Granted, our coaches have to manage the room properly...

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s very odd how Gleason went from cdp qb and being the favorite to be starter week 1 to holding snaps, to being 4th string and now his dad coming out with his opinion. Seems odd and strange
I think this was all fan speculation. I do not remember coaches stating this. I have stated before that the freshmen are in a tough spot with the loss of spring and summer. Obviously they feel Sims gives us the best chance to win. Not sure putting another inexperienced true freshman qb in the game will yield any better results.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Not even remotely in the same zip code as true.
What did I say that isn't true?

Our first 4 drives went end on downs, fumble, punt, fumble, so that is true. Sims led us to three TDs, but was also responsible for two turnovers that BC got 14 points off of, so net he earned us 7 points. Graham got 4 drives and scored 1 touchdown, with no turnovers, also earning us 7 points.

Deleted member 2897

What did I say that isn't true?

Our first 4 drives went end on downs, fumble, punt, fumble, so that is true. Sims led us to three TDs, but was also responsible for two turnovers that BC got 14 points off of, so net he earned us 7 points. Graham got 4 drives and scored 1 touchdown, with no turnovers, also earning us 7 points.

Oh, I didn’t know that’s where you were going with that. Since Graham was playing at the end of the game against back ups, I’m not sure that you can compare the two together, but fair enough. Also (and separately), as I described earlier somewhere, defensive TDs and turnovers deep in our own red zone to me cost us more than 7 points. Yes, they gave the opponent 7 points, but we also miss out on points on our own drive. When we’re averaging 2.5-3 points per drive, 3 such turnovers give the other team 21 points, but also cost us 8-9 points too. That’s why the Boston College and Syracuse games were so ugly, and that’s why the Louisville game was so ugly in our favor.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I didn’t know that’s where you were going with that.
What does that have to do with your claim that my statements were not true?

And of course you can't compare the two perfectly, its football not a lab experiment.

Deleted member 2897

What does that have to do with your claim that my statements were not true?

And of course you can't compare the two perfectly, its football not a lab experiment.

Because without any context in your original post, you said Sims only accounted for 7 points.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think this was all fan speculation. I do not remember coaches stating this. I have stated before that the freshmen are in a tough spot with the loss of spring and summer. Obviously they feel Sims gives us the best chance to win. Not sure putting another inexperienced true freshman qb in the game will yield any better results.
I don't remember the coaches saying anything only people on here.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
After six weeks Sims leads the nation in fumbles (6), fumbles lost (4) and is second in the nation in interceptions. It’s hard enough to win when you turn the ball over, but if you add to this that we have a historically bad defense it’s near impossible. He’s got to clean this up or we may not win again.

Some of the tipped balls weren’t his fault, but there’s plenty of poor decisions mixed in as well. Dropping the ball on snaps is just concentration and needs to get corrected quickly.

Youth comes into play here, but what can coaches do to help a young guy having this problem?
Coach's can give Gleason a shot to find out what he can do under pressure. This will give Sims more than talk to think about.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

If you want to be pedantic Graham only got us 6 points not 7 (although I don't think it would be fair to make that distinction).

But more precisely, saying that each turnover cost 7 points is assuming a lot. One that they would score definitely and that the defense takes no responsibility for those points when they could have held them to a FG. I don't really mind not considering this though. The more important thing though is that saying it costed us 14 assumes that had we punted instead, that we wouldn't have given up points. With our defense that isn't a fair assumption to make, and so it's likely that even without the TOs we'd have given up points on the resulting drive so the turnovers, so they overall differential in expected points given up from that drive resulting in a TO vs a punt isn't 7 points. Ironically the best argument for it being that much is that Sims was likely to drive us down to score, but that's a zero sum game for pretty obvious reasons.

But the most practical reason is that saying they played the same doesn't really address who played closer to what we need from our QB. With our current team, both defense, OL, and WR/TE groups, we need a QB who can make plays and consistently drive us down the field. Sims is just better at that. Graham doesn't turn the ball over as much, but he doesn't move the ball as much either. Basically imagine this scenario where two cases have 5 scores with the following outcomes.

case 1: 5,6,5,4,6 for an average of 5.2

Case 2: 2, 9,7,7,6 for an average of 6.2.

The averages aren't that far apart, but case 2 has he clear advantage of if you can replace one outcome, it greatly changes the average. Replacing the lowest score with a 9 would yield 6.2 for case 1, and 7.6 for case 2. That is basically where we are at now. Sims is better in ppd than Graham despite the big mistakes, and it would take less improvement to make a bigger impact. It's easier to fix a small number of high impact mistakes vs a large number of low impact mistakes.

neverquit

Georgia Tech Fan
Curry was pissed on that play. As he was jogging onto the field for the punt he was yelling at Sims.
My impression was that he was trying to get to the outside, not the sideline. That said, I agree that the first down was a sure thing had he kept going behind that block.

Deleted member 2897

Incorrect, I said he netted 7 points.

LOL. Without any context. Are we supposed to be mind readers? I could post Sims netted -2 points and defend it (because of points per drive), but if I just said that with no context you’d be like WTH?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If you want to be pedantic Graham only got us 6 points not 7 (although I don't think it would be fair to make that distinction).

But more precisely, saying that each turnover cost 7 points is assuming a lot.
Well if we are being pedantic, Sims didn't kick the extra points so he only netted us 6 too. I don't know why this was even worth bringing up.

Comparing two players will always require assuming a lot, that's just the nature of the situation. And while I agree it is easier to fix a few major mistakes instead of a lot of smaller ones, most of our coaches don't seem to be fixing any mistakes so we are still at square one.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well if we are being pedantic, Sims didn't kick the extra points so he only netted us 6 too. I don't know why this was even worth bringing up.

Comparing two players will always require assuming a lot, that's just the nature of the situation. And while I agree it is easier to fix a few major mistakes instead of a lot of smaller ones, most of our coaches don't seem to be fixing any mistakes so we are still at square one.

I don't know why you chose to respond to just that and ignore the rest.

Also, you are just wrong about not fixing any mistakes, at least when it comes to Sims. Sims went from 8 INTs in the first 3 games to 2 in the last 3. He has other issues to fix but he has addressed the INT issue to a good extent already.

GTFLETCH

Banned
If Gleason does not see the field this year I would expect him to transfer. This is a free year of eligibility for Sims so he has at least 4 more years. JG has 3 more and the kid from CA will have 5 to play 4 next year. So he and Sims will be the same in terms of eligibility next year but Sims will have had a free year as a starter. We will be lucky to have any of them except Sims after next year. Yates is a mystery as to what he will do. The QB position is a log jam right now and this free year of eligibility has really complicated our situation at QB.
Let Tucker Transfer... That is on him... We do have C. Perry coming in... Tuck has to do what is best for him.