Should GT Schedule 2018 NMSU for football and basketball?

GTFLETCH

Banned
NMSU will be trying to schedule for 2018 soon as they go indy after 2017. Should GT schedule football game along with basketball series?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Well we have a hole in 2018...and They have a good Basketball team...so paying their Football team to come to Atlanta with a basketball deal (much like we had to do for Tennessee to play us in football in the 2017 chickfila Monday game)

May be better then paying two FCS schools for 2018..just a thought.. but our Ball team RPI would be a bit higher as NMSU Basketball is usually really good...Also with NMSU going Indy they may be willing to sign such an agreement to fill out their schedule..

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
We would get literally no benefit from doing this. If we win it's like so what, and if we lose its the end of the world until the next end of the world scenario. Sure, it's the same with the local scrubs we play but we only have to pay for a bus ride for them

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Re football, a game against NMSU -- in Atlanta -- would be a bit better than playing a FCS-level opponent, if that's the only alternative to fill a hole in the schedule, and if Tech could get them for little more than what would be paid to the likes of a Jax State, The Citadel, Mercer, etc. (Not that I mind one FCS-level opponent most seasons, it's almost a guaranteed win unless you're playing a Top 20 program from that level, and at least one game per season for everyone on the bench to get some real time on the field is fun for all the team members.)

[Interesting college football history note: Yes, for decades, NMSU has been poor to mediocre. But get this: "[F]rom 1958 to 1967 under Coach Warren Woodson, NMSU won 63 games, lost 36, had a glorious undefeated season and seven winning seasons. Woodson’s Aggies appeared in and won two Sun Bowl games. They had four national rushing champions, the only first-team All American in NMSU history, a future All Pro NFL quarterback, and more than a dozen pro players in all." Coach Woodson was a guru of the wing-T offense, NMSU churned out superb running backs and incredible rushing yardage. Woodson loved to include a "special"/trick play in games, and as a change-of-pace he also would use his empty-backfield "Space T" formation to give defensive coordinators fits.

Woodson was pushed out the door at NMSU at age 67; frankly, the program never recovered.
http://bleedcrimson.net/footballgenius_full ]

GTFLETCH

Banned
For the 2018 Schedule... We have two Non-Conf holes.. (FCS, P5) My fear is that GT will dork around and not work the schedule and end up with two G5 games that year or even worse two FCS games..... So looking at http://www.fbschedules.com/ below are the eight P5 teams left that still have holes in 2018 and 2020 (just like us), the rest have filled their schedules.

So if GT is struggling to fill their schedule, why not capitalize on New Mexico State new found INDY problem and sign them for the 2018 so we have two G5 teams instead of two FCS and get our BBall team signed up against them in Non conf... Tenn did the same thing to us, and our BBall team could us the Non Conf RPI when it comes to tourney selection... Or we can just watch GT not sign anything (P5 or G5) and signup to pay two FCS teams for 2018 home schedule to go along with Tulane and UGA as our NON CONF games!

2018/20 P5 Teams that we may be able to schedule home and home
Auburn
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Florida
TCU
Kansas
Stanford
USC Trojans
Oregon (has hole in 2018 but not 2020, would need 1 game most likely a neutral site game)
Alabama (however the home & home in 2013 & 14 was pushed back to 19 & 20 and then postponed)
http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/07/...stpone-2019-20-home-and-home-football-series/

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
You can bet that johnson will politic for 2 FCS games. He already believes that our ACC schedule along with ugag is tough enough.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You can bet that johnson will politic for 2 FCS games. He already believes that our ACC schedule along with ugag is tough enough.

Which is very smart of him, since FCS games are the only reason he has a winning record over the last six seasons.

GTFLETCH

Banned

Well if the 2018 schedule stays at 8 games that is my fear as teams are filling out their OOC games. However our saving grace may be NMSU as they will have to fill out a INDY schedule for 2018...The question will be is NMSU a better draw then Western Carolina or East Tenn from the Socon?

However I think GT is being wise if there is a chance of a ACC network by 2018 and the schedule flips to 9 ACC Conference games all we will have to sign is a FCS as I am sure GT OOC Scheduling policy will likely look like

9 ACC games

3 OOC Game
UGA
ND or 1 G5/P5 home and home series
FCS (home game)

If this becomes the schedule I will become a season ticket holders again! I am tired of two FCS games a year (have had several scheduling snaffus in recent years...Bama games canx...BYU Canx..Ole Miss games pushed back...Two FCS in multiple seasons bcuz of the above reasons).. However a 9 game ACC schedule in the CFP era may prevent two FCS games in the same year and a reason to buy Season tickets again!

Last edited: