Senior Appreciation Shawn Green #97, RS SR, Became a Jacket on 7/22/09

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Senior Appreciation: http://4te.ch/seniors2014

Mr. Green of Grayson, GA was rated a 3* Nose Tackle when Giff Smith recruited him out of Grayson HS. He chose Tech over a slew of major offers, including from FSU, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan St, Mississippi, and South Carolina.

After a redshirt season played 4 games as a reserve in 2011 before becoming the primary backup at nose tackle in 2012. He played in 14 games that season in which he tallied
22 tackles (13 solo), 3 for a loss, one interception (against Tahj Boyd!) and one forced fumble. It was after this sophomore season that Green was hit with a number of injuries and had a difficult time getting completely healthy to play over most of his junior year and some of his senior season. In 2013 he suffered from a serious shoulder injury since before the season began but was able to see action in seven games including the last 4 of the season in which he made steady progress. His best game of the year by far was the last one, a 3 tackle performance in the Music City Bowl against Ole Miss. Given off-season attrition on the defensive line his teammates really needed Shawn on the field in his senior season and he did not disappoint them, despite missing a few days of camp banged up. His linemate Adam Gotsis had this to say to the AJC before the season: “A healthy Shawn Green is someone not to be messed with. It’s kind of been unfortunate for him, he’s been pretty banged up since he got here. He’s probably had one of his best offseasons, I’d say, running-wise, lifting-wise, just getting himself in shape. I feel like he’s ready to make that impact this year.” Indeed, he was.

In the season opener against the Wofford Terriers Green had four tackles with two going for a loss, and also blocked an extra point. In Tech's second game of the season one can find evidence of the impact Shawn had in this breakdown by Ken Suguira of a crucial tackle for loss against Tulane in which he draws a double team and then when Harrell and Davis close in to occupy blocks Tulane has to release Green to a single blocker whom he quickly drives back into the runner's cutback lane and then breaks from to assist Rook-Chungong in making a tackle for a 5-yard loss. Unfortunately Green did not make it through his senior season completely unscathed as he suffered a knee injury in the NC State game on Nov.8th. His teammates stepped up, however, and put in a dominant performance in the next game against Clemson with Shawn cheering them on from the sidelines. However, Green was determined not to let injuries diminish his final season and made it back for the team when they defeated the Bulldogs in Athens, even after practicing very little in advance, again from Suguira: “He should be good to go,” Johnson said. Green, who did not practice Wednesday, has been an integral member of the defense this season, starting the first 10 games and collecting 18 tackles. Green’s role has often been to take on double teams, allowing teammates to be single blocked. “It’ll mean a lot” for Green to return, defensive coordinator Ted Roof said. “You’re talking about a guy that’s played a lot of football at a position we’re ultra-thin at already.”

Shawn assisted in two tackles against the Dawgs and is seen below celebrating the great Tech OT win with his line coach. Overall for the season he played in 12 games and started all 12, he had 22 tackles (15 solo), 4.5 for loss and 1.5 sacks and broke up 4 passes.

Like almost every student-athlete at Tech Shawn understands the value in a great education. He could have gone to many different major programs but chose the college where he could best prepare himself not just for a shot at playing in the NFL (every kids dream) but for his life after his football days are over. He will finish Tech with a degree in Business
Administration and Management, and since August of 2014 has worked as a Research Analyst at Barton Executive Search. I love the way he sells himself and describes his time spent as a Tech student-athlete on his LinkedIn web page:
Student Athlete
Georgia Tech Athletic Association
June 2010 – Present (4 years 8 months)Atlanta
"Managed a busy schedule of 12 hours of classes, 20 hours of study time, 30 hours of practice each week. In doing so, I maintained high functionality in fast-paced, stressful, changing environments while improving my athletic performance through coaching and self-evaluation. Became a valued team member while enhancing my team leadership, and communication skills through vigorous game play."

Shawn overcame injury, as well as having three defensive coordinators with accompanying changes in scheme and terminology, to indeed become a "valued team member" who entertained Tech fans with his "vigorous play" in his senior season for the Orange Bowl winning Yellow Jackets.

Career Highs
Tackles: 4, twice, last at Virginia Tech (Sept. 20)
Solo Tackles: 4 vs. Wofford, Aug. 30, 2014
TFL: 2.0 vs. Wofford, Aug. 30, 2014
Sacks: 1 at Tulane, Sept. 6, 2014
PB: 1, three times, last vs. Virginia, Nov. 1, 2014
Interceptions: 1 at Clemson, Oct. 6, 2012
FC: 1 vs. Maryland, Nov. 3, 2012
Blocks: 1 (PAT) vs. Wofford, Aug. 30, 2014

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Some pictures of Shawn.

In HS:
563639.jpg

Looking professional:
images

Scaring QBs and RBs (and being held by overpowered OLmen):
images

images

And my personal favorite, celebrating with Coach Pelton:
images

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope all of Yellow Jacket nation is thankful that SG decided to stick it out after all his injuries etc. He played solidly and his team, in reality, was going nowhere without him. This was his first season where he was healthy for the most part and boy did we need that. Thanks Mr. Green, for taking on double teams all year and making it possible for us to have a good season.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm so appreciative of what Shawn Green has done for our team. Like Perkins, Bostic, and Johnson, he could have needed his football career after the numerous injuries he has had and nobody would have thought the worse of him. I had similar injuries in high school and college and I hung it up after my freshman year in college. The pain became too much for me.

But Shawn is tougher then I am. He went through the rehab, he never lost heart, and, when he finally got a season where he remained healthy, he was a major contributor to our D. I'm so glad he stuck it out and got a chance to show what he can do.

Btw, has anybody noticed that the seniors we have been congratulating so far have all been young men who overcame really serious injuries and finally got the opportunity to contribute, big time, to the best football season we've had at Tech in 20 years? I'm betting that seeing their persistence and guts in action had a big effect on our team's internal cohesion and will to win this year. Thanks, guys! You'll all be missed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Mr -rock green,

Last winter some left - your play this year made it clear you never wavered.

Many of us on this blog watch almost exclusively play in the trenches.
I am sure many besides myself loved Your energy and unselfish play - staying in the middle - like a rock - often against a double team - allowed playmakers to "swarm" to the ball. If the play was close you made them pay. Your play spelled team and built a foundation for defense at gt to Which will soon be very special. Thanks for helping us turn the corner.
Now you can sit in the stands and --- when the defense is on the field the red shirt freshmen get up on the bench yelling to the crowd - YELLOW - we know you will join in and scream JACKETS. Thanks

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Really happy for Shawn. Graduation picture was awesome. Very happy he was able to stay healthy. Critical player on defense this year we could not afford to lose!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree whole heartedly with all the sentiments already posted. A truer personification of the term persistence cannot be found and this team is chock full of 'em. Thanks Shawn, your efforts on the flats are much appreciated and will serve you well in your future endeavors.

never-give-up.jpg