Shaq Mason named 1st Team All American by USA Today

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I think when the Bleacher Report came out with THEIR All-2014 Team, and gave out THEIR individual "honors," they decided that they couldn't do that with the Offensive Line and just awarded the ENTIRE Offensive Line AS A GROUP to US rather than Individual Awards, saying OUR WHOLE works better than every INDVIDUAL for every other Team in America.

This says a ton about how much our guys have "bought into our system," playing like a true unit, the fact that, while they may not be as "athletically" gifted, on paper, as many on linemen, they meet our offensive needs to perfection because they can block all of our necessary schemes (cut blocks, block to the next level, and now, they are also showing they can drive block, and pass protect, effectively).

What is so encouraging to me is that Shaq is the only Senior/Starter from the group, plus we've built a lot of depth with players who actually got varsity game experience. Having the quality Offensive Line up front of a true dual-threat QB, like Justin Thomas, has proven to be a great recipie for a consistent means of pressure on opposing defenses which continue our positioning for success on the field.

I would like to add that I believe having continued success with our team was more of an issue with our defense than our offense, and that I think that Ted Roof (and his Assistants), who are bringing in their new recruits and getting their "system" fully ingrained into the "program," is beginning to bring our team to that place many of us had been praying for since Paul Johnson was hired. I think so many had been saying "if we could just hold opposing teams to just 6 or 7 less points per game (or something like that), we could win 9-10 games a year (or more) instead of 7-8. Well, my friends, I think we're almost there...

I said before the season started that I thought THIS year woud be the "transition" year with Justin taking over, and NEXT year would be the year we'd challenge for a National Championship. I stand by my thoughts.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It's amazing Washington sucked so much with those 3 players that made 1st Team. That DT is a cloned Haloti Ngata.

Still don't get the love for Kendall Fuller. Kid is winning awards off his name alone.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Shaq Mason also made the Sports Illustrated 2nd Team All American t.co/gGo0t2XtIR
@ChrisYandle: Tech's @ShaqDiesel_70 also named second-team All-American by Sports Illustrated (h/t/ @givemeglenn). Third AA honor for Mason in 5 days
This is starting to get to the point of being a ridiculous slap on the ACC when it's voting sports writers (or whomever) didn't put Mason on the first team all conference list.

Seems like a good way for ACC media to contribute to keeping the image of the league down if they cannot even handle picking out as the best in the conference those players likely to make all-American lists. Good grief! Shouldn't ACC media be working to increase the national respect for the conference as it would help their own bottom lines?

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Yeah it's really just pathetic how he was disrespected by the ACC media.

Onto a better note, how does he grade WRT the upcoming draft? One can think an NFL team would like a bulldozer like him, capable of opening gaping holes for the back.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Actually the AP All-American team validated the conference list. While Shaq was 3rd team they had Tre Jackson and Laken Thompson as 1st team. The ACC just happens to have 3 of the best in the nation, and it's tough to choose who is best accounting for differences in schedule, scheme, and surrounding talent. I think our guy is the best, but it really isn't disrespect to be behind other guys who are also REALLY good.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Actually the AP All-American team validated the conference list. While Shaq was 3rd team they had Tre Jackson and Laken Thompson as 1st team. The ACC just happens to have 3 of the best in the nation, and it's tough to choose who is best accounting for differences in schedule, scheme, and surrounding talent. I think our guy is the best, but it really isn't disrespect to be behind other guys who are also REALLY good.
Can you imagine if Tre had stuck with us?