Shaq Mason highlights

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
So, I just watched this highlight package while we were having breakfast. My wife said, "The thing about Shaq has been not only how powerful he is--but you look up at a first down or touchdown and he's right there with the runner. Helping them up. He moves way down the field on every play, it looks like."

Okay. So, she didn't use "second-level" terminology, etc. But, yeah. My wife gets it.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know who the D/L that matched up against Shaq in the GA and duh U games but the clubhouse guy had to use extra bleach to get the grass stains out of the rear of their uniforms because that's where they were the majority of the time after the pancakes!!!!!!!!!!

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know who the D/L that matched up against Shaq in the GA and duh U games but the clubhouse guy had to use extra bleach to get the grass stains out of the rear of their uniforms because that's where they were the majority of the time after the pancakes!!!!!!!!!!
When you watch the UGA game highlights--the one with their radio broadcast overlay-- you hear Eric Zeier lamenting exactly that. I think the way he put it was that Ga Tech had the UGA d-linemen "on skates" all afternoon. And, he called it a "dominating performance by the Ga Tech offensive line."

Celebrating Shaq (and his linemates last year) this all reminds me of something I heard Mark Richt say live on the radio during his game week presser. "We try to simulate the Ga Tech offense on scout team. You can run their plays. But, you can't really simulate it at anything like the speed they run it. I try to tell my guys that if they take ONE play off--that can be the one they'll take to the house. Those linemen get up on you so fast, and they can get you on the ground faster than you understand. They were always known for having smaller than usual linemen. But, now they'll go about as big as anyone we face. Yet, it's all at the same speed."

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
So, I just watched this highlight package while we were having breakfast. My wife said, "The thing about Shaq has been not only how powerful he is--but you look up at a first down or touchdown and he's right there with the runner. Helping them up. He moves way down the field on every play, it looks like."

Okay. So, she didn't use "second-level" terminology, etc. But, yeah. My wife gets it.
Were do you get a wife like that? I need me one of those.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just a few clips of how great Shaq Mason was as a Yellow Jacket.

Thanks for posting this. What can you say? I find myself searching for the right words. I have always appreciated Mason, from his very first start as a freshman. I have seen him repeatedly play well on replay studies I do. However, even after four years, I still haven't appreciated his FULL impact until watching this compilation. Folks, you can watch a lot of film and let any OL player you want put together their highlights, but you will never see anything more dominant than that, in terms of run blocking. You have to keep in mind, those results, those plays, were all against the very best that CFB has to offer. He wasn't going against directional U. Half those plays looked like something out of the movie "Blindside" they were so exaggerated in terms of their dominance. I am speechless. The best part is, he handles himself like a gentlemen out there while crushing people. No funny business. No running his mouth. No after the whistle antics. Nothing, but a pure fighting gentlemen. I don't know about you guys, but I am bursting with pride right now and I am starting to tear up just writing this.

Thanks Shaq Mason: For the sheer entertainment value of watching you play, for the example you set for those around you, for representing GT in the best possible way, for being a great teammate, and finally, for just making me feel the way I do right now while pounding the keys.

It will be interesting to see how Shaq stacks up in the NFL. Even in that pass happy league, pretty much every team will have a hard time finding somebody who can get up under people with as much leg drive, quickness and balance. Something tells me he will prove himself.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting this. What can you say? I find myself searching for the right words. I have always appreciated Mason, from his very first start as a freshman. I have seen him repeatedly play well on replay studies I do. However, even after four years, I still haven't appreciated his FULL impact until watching this compilation. Folks, you can watch a lot of film and let any OL player you want put together their highlights, but you will never see anything more dominant than that, in terms of run blocking. You have to keep in mind, those results, those plays, were all against the very best that CFB has to offer. He wasn't going against directional U. Half those plays looked like something out of the movie "Blindside" they were so exaggerated in terms of their dominance. I am speechless. The best part is, he handles himself like a gentlemen out there while crushing people. No funny business. No running his mouth. No after the whistle antics. Nothing, but a pure fighting gentlemen. I don't know about you guys, but I am bursting with pride right now and I am starting to tear up just writing this.

Thanks Shaq Mason: For the sheer entertainment value of watching you play, for the example you set for those around you, for representing GT in the best possible way, for being a great teammate, and finally, for just making me feel the way I do right now while pounding the keys.

It will be interesting to see how Shaq stacks up in the NFL. Even in that pass happy league, pretty much every team will have a hard time finding somebody who can get up under people with as much leg drive, quickness and balance. Something tells me he will prove himself.
I agree with all you said. After seeing these high lights our potential at BB will be more related to who is going to fill the shoes of Mason. Many times he is blocking two people. That along with the TO objective to isolate a free DB or OL and option off him gives us a two man advantage.

Our guards have big shoes to fill.. I hope they are inspired to reach the level that Mason set.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We have some good players coming back on the O-line and it should still be a team strength. Shaq is the best I've seen in a long while. And it may be a while before we see his equivalent again. Great player, great Tech man.

I'm not a huge fan of the NFL. I mostly watch it to track our guys in the league. Looking forward to seein Shaq dominate at the next level. Barring injury he will.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I know it's a team game etc etc, but Shaq Mason might have been the guy most individually responsible for our success than anyone else on the team in 2014.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Man, how do you get a wife like that?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Anyone remember the block he had in the Sun Bowl vs USC out in space. Pulled, engaged his man high, worked his head to the outside hip as the defender disengaged and then went low and cut the guy before he could release. It was perfect from a technical standpoint.

Guy just executes.