Shaq Mason gives GT a good mention during Dallas game

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure how many of you watched the NE vs Dallas game but there was a play where Shaq pulled and led the running back downfield for about 40 yards. Cant remember who the play by play announcer was but gave Shaq and GT a great mention. Man Shaq can sure move for his size.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Obviously was a great player for us - makes me wonder. What would be happening if he were still here this season? Asked in another way, what is the net effect of losing him? It is really hard to know. How much of a difference can one guy make? Apparently quite a bit, based on the difference in level of play. Was he really the heart and soul or is there a different reason?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Couldn't remember it was Nantz and Phil Simms doing the call yesterday?

Anyway, I think it was Simms who mentioned Tech and its rushing offense as Shaq pulled to lead Blount downfield. Shaq didn't have anybody to block. Reminded me of him leading Laskey into the end zone against the Mutts.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think you see the effect when we gotta get a yard or 3. We don't have a get behind Shaq play at the moment. He was probably responsible for 20% of our 3rd down conversions last year. We don't get stopped on 4th and goal with Shaq.

Shamire will be that player if he stays healthy.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I agree Shamire can be, however getting low enough has been a challenge in short yardage. Shaq didn't have that problem.

:D 6'6" versus barely 6'1", makes a big difference getting low. Shaq's low center of gravity was never a detriment in my mind at guard. Shamire will get there. We all known how strong he is!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how many of you watched the NE vs Dallas game but there was a play where Shaq pulled and led the running back downfield for about 40 yards. Cant remember who the play by play announcer was but gave Shaq and GT a great mention. Man Shaq can sure move for his size.

Along with his athleticism, and brute strength...it's why some schools rated him higher at DT than on the line. The guy had 20+ sacks his senior year playing on the DL.

I've always wondered what his fate would have been had be played DT instead of OG. Obviously, his career on the OL turned out well.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Along with his athleticism, and brute strength...it's why some schools rated him higher at DT than on the line. The guy had 20+ sacks his senior year playing on the DL.

I've always wondered what his fate would have been had be played DT instead of OG. Obviously, his career on the OL turned out well.

Techster I was fortunate enough to see him his jr and sr years as a prep. He was a beast as a DL but I always felt OG was his natural position.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Techster I was fortunate enough to see him his jr and sr years as a prep. He was a beast as a DL but I always felt OG was his natural position.

Thanks...always good to get insight from a source that's actually seen it in person. All we see are the 20+ sacks and wonder out loud!