Senior Night for MGH

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought I'd post a thought on this.

I recognize that the past 4 years have been far worse than underwhelming at times. I realize people are frustrated & fed up, desperate to see BG removed.

Many fonts here & on other boards have vowed to stop supporting the team until change is made, refusing to go to another game until that day comes.

I can't say I blame you. Not one bit. The ongoing struggles have been a failure of both our staff & administration.

Having said that, I'm asking all of you, if you can possibly do it, to try and be at McCamish Pavilion for Senior Night against Pittsburgh on March 5th at 2PM.

Regardless of the results, Nick, Chuck, Adam, & James have put in great effort this year and, despite the results, that's been greatly appreciated.

That aside and despite what will be viewed as a disappointing era in GT hoops, I personally believe MGH ranks among the best to ever be the public face of our program and truly represents the "student-athlete" so many GT fans seek an example of, having been a warrior & producer on the floor for us, as well as doing pretty well in the class room.

I get that everyone is pretty jaded. Hell, I am too. However, my plea to our fans is that we fill the arena one time this season to give MGH the send-off he's earned from us.

While I won't be able to make it there in person, I'm happy to say @Peacone36 will be filling my season tickets, travelling to Atlanta for his first Georgia Tech hoops game in person.

If you can, please try & be there.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This is actually an interesting conversation.

I dont know where I put MGH in terms of GT ball players. I do however, have all the respect in the world for him. He has been basically the lone bright spot in his 4 years in this program aside from probably Daniel Miller. His style of play is not particularly pleasing to watch. He is rough and sometimes bullish in the way he plays with very little finesse but he plays very hard and will never be accused of being a guy who takes plays off. Not blessed with an abundance of natural gifts or crazy athleticism he has shown a steady progression throughout his 4 years with what i will confidently presume was a function of hard work and unlike some you never questioned where he stood or where his loyalties lie. The shot against BC was incredible and made me forget about my disappointment in the recent results the program had endured. Husband, Father, model citizen (as far as i can tell) and leaves it all on the floor for a program that did little to help him experience much of what being a P5 college basketball star has to offer and never complained and never caused drama.

He is not my favorite GT basketball player to watch, but no GT basketball player will ever receive more respect from me. We were/are lucky to have him.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
This is actually an interesting conversation.

I dont know where I put MGH in terms of GT ball players. I do however, have all the respect in the world for him. He has been basically the lone bright spot in his 4 years in this program aside from probably Daniel Miller. His style of play is not particularly pleasing to watch. He is rough and sometimes bullish in the way he plays with very little finesse but he plays very hard and will never be accused of being a guy who takes plays off. Not blessed with an abundance of natural gifts or crazy athleticism he has shown a steady progression throughout his 4 years with what i will confidently presume was a function of hard work and unlike some you never questioned where he stood or where his loyalties lie. The shot against BC was incredible and made me forget about my disappointment in the recent results the program had endured. Husband, Father, model citizen (as far as i can tell) and leaves it all on the floor for a program that did little to help him experience much of what being a P5 college basketball star has to offer and never complained and never caused drama.

He is not my favorite GT basketball player to watch, but no GT basketball player will ever receive more respect from me. We were/are lucky to have him.

Could not have said it better.

Its been awesome seeing him come in as a freshman when I did and grow over the four years we've both been here. Definitely my favorite GT athlete while I've been in school and probably my favorite ever considering I wasn't that big a fan until I came here (used to be a Mich St fan)

Really hope there's a big turnout for him because no one deserves it more

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've watched him since his JR yr in HS and his continued growth is fun to watch. He was a much better player by the end of his SR yr then even the beginning of his SR yr of HS and carried his team on his back in the state playoffs. He has continued this in college improving every year.

He has sort of what I call an old mans game. He doesn't rely on extreme athleticism, he doesn't rely on a super skill (like being a supreme shooter or ballhandler). What he does is understand what he does well and what he does not do well and plays to his strengths and doesn't try to do much that he can't (which gets alot of kids in trouble).

He is a solid shooter (not a great one - and has improved in college), an above average ballhandler (highly above average for a wing, good enough to be an adequate ACC level PG type ballhandler), a strong defender and has a high effort level. He is also very strong and has excellent body control and he uses those two traits to score alot. He doesn't have the athleticism to fly over or past people, but his ballhandling and strength allow him to bull past defenders into areas on the court where he can use his body control to take contact and make shots. He also is a good shooter when he has time to square up. Finally he is a willing and smart defender who uses his size and strength to cause opposing players issues.

i actually enjoy watching him play because he plays different than most kids today and it is fun to watch someone understand who he is and play to that.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
image.png

Ok. When you got to this part BEFORE the list started. You should have X'ed out of it and realized this guy is a ****ing clown.

Dedric Lawson is probably the top talent in the American conference.

Josh Hawkinson, Chinanu Onuaku, Gary Clark Ben Moore and Gavin Ware are 5 of the best big men IN THE COUNTRY bar none.

I am a CBB junkie and my social life suffers this time of year because Saturday I watch as many games as possible and have seen all these guys play multiple times.

Melvin Johnson not on the list? Did he not just hit 9 3ptfg..........IN THE FIRST HALF a couple weeks ago?

That list is ridiculous.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Someone needs to explain how MGH didn't make this list as even an honorable mention: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...rs-in-college-basketball-through-three-months

To play devil's advocate, he has Blossomgame from Clemson at 97 and I think there is a very good argument for Hunt being below Blossomgame at this point. You have to keep in mind that 100 players isn't that many compared to the number of players, and not being a top 100 player doesn't make you a bad player.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
To play devil's advocate, he has Blossomgame from Clemson at 97 and I think there is a very good argument for Hunt being below Blossomgame at this point. You have to keep in mind that 100 players isn't that many compared to the number of players, and not being a top 100 player doesn't make you a bad player.

And I think blossomgame should be higher than 97. To play devils advocate he has Ja'Quan Newton in the honorable mentions and I'd take MGH over Newton every time

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And I think blossomgame should be higher than 97. To play devils advocate he has Ja'Quan Newton in the honorable mentions and I'd take MGH over Newton every time

Blossomgame is better than MGH. Both are better than Newton right now. When Newton is a senior he will be one of the best in the ACC

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I wouldn't be so quick to make that judgement.

Newton is averaging 11.4, 2.7, 2.5 ppg, rpg, apg in 22.5 mpg on 48% (37.5%) shooting
Hunt is averaging 16.5, 3.2, 2.7 ppg, rpg, apg in 31.2 mpg on on 46% (35%) shooting

Statistically the difference is largely attributed to minutes played, and that is largely based on the fact that one is the number one option on a 4-9 ACC team and the other is the third guard of a 10-3 first place ACC team. We see Hunt playing with a bunch of guys he is clearly better than, and he is asked to do a ton on this team. It is hard for some people to separate what he means to this team, to what he would be on a contending team. I just don't see a "obvious top 100" player watching him. Is there an argument for it? Sure. Is it a surefire thing? I don't think so.

And of course I still think he is a very good player, and like watching him play.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be so quick to make that judgement.

Newton is averaging 11.4, 2.7, 2.5 ppg, rpg, apg in 22.5 mpg on 48% (37.5%) shooting
Hunt is averaging 16.5, 3.2, 2.7 ppg, rpg, apg in 31.2 mpg on on 46% (35%) shooting

Statistically the difference is largely attributed to minutes played, and that is largely based on the fact that one is the number one option on a 4-9 ACC team and the other is the third guard of a 10-3 first place ACC team. We see Hunt playing with a bunch of guys he is clearly better than, and he is asked to do a ton on this team. It is hard for some people to separate what he means to this team, to what he would be on a contending team. I just don't see a "obvious top 100" player watching him. Is there an argument for it? Sure. Is it a surefire thing? I don't think so.

And of course I still think he is a very good player, and like watching him play.

I don't see how this is an argument against him. He's the focus of defenses every time they play us and yet he still puts up those numbers and it's not like he's taking a ton of shots. He's shooting 46% compared to 48%, essentially equal. Not to mention the fact that he's not playing in any semblance of an offense with BG at the helm.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I agree that 100 players isn't a lot given there are roughly, what? 4000 CBB players in D1. That said. I'd challenge you to find me 100 players better than specifically the 7 I mentioned. Just because you average 13 and 9 in the Big Sky or the MEAC doesn't mean you could hold Josh Hawkinsons jock.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want nothing more than for BG to be removed at the end of the season, purely on the back of results and what our future currently looks like.

That said, I'll accept another year of him if it means MGH gets the taste of post season play that he deserves. Please be there against Pitt.

(I'd also gladly take MGH getting post-season play and BG removed anyway)

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
(I'd also gladly take MGH getting post-season play and BG removed anyway)

Honestly I think that's what should happen. But I do hope we make the NIT at least. However, it SHOULD NOT be a job-saver. Under any circumstance.