Self-Preservation v Winning

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This thread is pretty out there. Coach is aware of the issues the team is facing, and wants to win more than any of us.

He will play the guy he thinks has the best chance of winning the game we are playing. Full stop.Any time players don’t present in live play the same way they practice, I can guarantee he is checking options. Whether through injuries or opponents adjustments, game plans change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone that doesn't believe the above needs to get a reality check.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I think some people are misinterpreting the lease misinterpretable part of what I’m saying. I believe that coach believes TM gives us the best chance to win. In fact, I also think TM gives us the best chance to win.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think some people are misinterpreting the lease misinterpretable part of what I’m saying. I believe that coach believes TM gives us the best chance to win. In fact, I also think TM gives us the best chance to win.

I agree that he gives us the best chance this year. I do think that 2014 would not have happened if JT didn’t get a lot of snaps in 2013. There is a balance between winning now and investing in the future. If I were CPJ and I thought I needed to win 6 games to keep my job I would play TQM as much as possible. If I were safe, I would play Oliver or Graham to get them ready for next year like he did JT. This is assuming one of them are likely to start next year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think we don’t have a competitive team right now. It WAS my opinion that we had the big guns to have a special year. I was dead wrong. IMO, we should start to play the folks that will help us next year. This year is in the crapper.
I understand you saying this but it's not something a coach will do, they should play the best players ( you hope ) benching a Sr that is better the man behind him would not be fair to that player , plus it's a good way to lose a team.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I agree that he gives us the best chance this year. I do think that 2014 would not have happened if JT didn’t get a lot of snaps in 2013. There is a balance between winning now and investing in the future. If I were CPJ and I thought I needed to win 6 games to keep my job I would play TQM as much as possible. If I were safe, I would play Oliver or Graham to get them ready for next year like he did JT. This is assuming one of them are likely to start next year.

Good point

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I understand you saying this but it's not something a coach will do, they should play the best players ( you hope ) benching a Sr that is better the man behind him would not be fair to that player , plus it's a good way to lose a team.

We are 1-3 and you guys are worried about losing the team? Hahahaha Trevor Lawrence is beating out Kelly Bryant do you see Clemson collapsing? Alabama benched Hurts in the NC did they collapse? Players want to win

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We are 1-3 and you guys are worried about losing the team? Hahahaha Trevor Lawrence is beating out Kelly Bryant do you see Clemson collapsing? Alabama benched Hurts in the NC did they collapse? Players want to win
You reading into something I didn't say, ( if a Sr is better than the backup you don't bench him because he is a Sr) Both of yours cases are a different circumstances , first Lawrence is a better passer , and Hurts was playing very bad in the 1st half. Now in Alabama's case I do wish CPJ would do this if a player is having a bad game.

Deleted member 2897

I saw tons of Freshmen out there today. Zamari Walton, Quinney, and others I haven’t seen in awhile like Connor Hansen, Stephen Dolphus. We either had a lot of injuries or folks got pulled for not playing well. And this of course is in addition to the other young people we’ve seen like Tre Swilling, Kaleb Oliver, Jordan Mason, etc. something just feels weird, like the players aren’t communicating or gelling. Tons of underclassmen everywhere.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I saw tons of Freshmen out there today. Zamari Walton, Quinney, and others I haven’t seen in awhile like Connor Hansen, Stephen Dolphus. We either had a lot of injuries or folks got pulled for not playing well. And this of course is in addition to the other young people we’ve seen like Tre Swilling, Kaleb Oliver, Jordan Mason, etc. something just feels weird, like the players aren’t communicating or gelling. Tons of underclassmen everywhere.
Did Tre Swilling play today ?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. He is very inconsistent, misses reads, can't pass, checks into bad plays, not on the same page with receivers...has no business being a QB and especially one in our offense. You keep TO in USF game and there's a good chance we get that win. TO should start...he is more fundamentally sound and gives us a better chance to win. CPJ will ride TQM into the sunset. Reminds of the year we had to watch Vad Lee while Justin Thomas sat on the bench.

Deleted member 2897

Disagree. He is very inconsistent, misses reads, can't pass, checks into bad plays, not on the same page with receivers...has no business being a QB and especially one in our offense. You keep TO in USF game and there's a good chance we get that win. TO should start...he is more fundamentally sound and gives us a better chance to win. CPJ will ride TQM into the sunset. Reminds of the year we had to watch Vad Lee while Justin Thomas sat on the bench.

As a reminder, CPJ was going to start Matthew Jordan over Lucas, TaQuon, Jay Jones...he is a stubborn old man.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow

I guess you don’t remember JT getting blown up at Miami. He was not ready yet. That is why he sat. Vad was the last true dual threat qb we had. We have recruited Graham but he will transfer too unless we modify the offense. That is doubtful.
That being said I agree TO is our best chance to win at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Starting next year Graham will be in the driver seat for 4 years and CPJ will get another extension. TO can’t throw and that was evident. Bailed out you the receiver on each completion.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
As a reminder, CPJ was going to start Matthew Jordan over Lucas, TaQuon, Jay Jones...he is a stubborn old man.

Im not entirely sure that would have been the wrong call. If you recall a healthish jordan gained 30 yards in 3 plays against clemson last year before reinjuring his foot. He at least had more zip on his throws.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think we don’t have a competitive team right now. It WAS my opinion that we had the big guns to have a special year. I was dead wrong. IMO, we should start to play the folks that will help us next year. This year is in the crapper.

But playing guys now, be it for next year or not, is giving them more exposure to rotten coaching.

I feel bad for all our kids, especially

Oh Lordy, 2014 again.

Not criticizing you because it ended great in 2 of last 3 games.

But if CPJ legacy of greatness is his best team losing to puke, unc, barely beating gsu, and beating clemson with # 2 & 3 qb then we have really given up on being what we should be.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ singled out the QB in post game presser as lacking fundamentals.

Let me say this, Craig Candeto was a curious choice for the job this quick, considering he needs to grow and train young QBs; and he is new himself. I wonder if this will be a change.....CPJ is less than pleased with this part for sure.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
But playing guys now, be it for next year or not, is giving them more exposure to rotten coaching.

I feel bad for all our kids, especially

Oh Lordy, 2014 again.

Not criticizing you because it ended great in 2 of last 3 games.

But if CPJ legacy of greatness is his best team losing to puke, unc, barely beating gsu, and beating clemson with # 2 & 3 qb then we have really given up on being what we should be.

I am making the argument that you would not have had 2014 if JT doesn’t play the number of snaps he did in 2013. It was a post purely about playing the#2 QB in order to make them ready for the future.

JT had the ability to perform under pressure that was honed in 2013. The GSU pass, and the plays he made early in the year probably don’t happen without those 2013 reps. I like TQM, but I think he doesn’t have that gamer ability to play under pressure like JT did. He also lacks some physical traits that JT had from a passing standpoint. However, TQM probably does give us the best chance to win Saturday.

I am not defending CPJ or promoting his demise. I personally love option football, but I am good with whatever scheme puts GT in the best position to win.

One point I will make with reference to QBs that has not been discussed in detail is the lack of development of QB#2. People talk about how complex the Clemson scheme is as well as ours. How are they able to teach it to a true freshman their scheme when we can’t teach our system to a redshirt freshman?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Once we hit loss 7 it’s time to empty the bench. First you play guys that have already redshirted, then the true freshmen in the final four games. Until then you gotta try to win to get bowl eligible and end with a winning record.

I know a lot of you don’t care about the crappy bowls, but it still does matter...if nothing else it’s better than the alternative, right?

I am making the argument that you would not have had 2014 if JT doesn’t play the number of snaps he did in 2013. It was a post purely about playing the#2 QB in order to make them ready for the future.

JT had the ability to perform under pressure that was honed in 2013. The GSU pass, and the plays he made early in the year probably don’t happen without those 2013 reps. I like TQM, but I think he doesn’t have that gamer ability to play under pressure like JT did. He also lacks some physical traits that JT had from a passing standpoint. However, TQM probably does give us the best chance to win Saturday.

I am not defending CPJ or promoting his demise. I personally love option football, but I am good with whatever scheme puts GT in the best position to win.

One point I will make with reference to QBs that has not been discussed in detail is the lack of development of QB#2. People talk about how complex the Clemson scheme is as well as ours. How are they able to teach it to a true freshman their scheme when we can’t teach our system to a redshirt freshman?
To be fair, Clemson's system is not as complicated as an option offense. BUT, you are 100% correct in not developing the #2, and part of that development is to use him when #1, no matter how hard he might try, is just not getting it done.