Self-Preservation v Winning

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Just thinking as I was watching that ugly game: if CPJ were thinking primarily about saving his own hide, he’d have an interesting quarterback dilemma.

The coaches watch the players every day. They know, in most cases, who gives us a better chance to win at each position. We can doubt that but historically the evidence has mostly shown the head coach to be right about his quarterbacks in particular. Tevin being superior to Vad, even through the air, is a good example.

But pragmatically, might having a worse chance to win be better for keeping his job? Wouldn’t the fan base be more excited seeing Graham or Oliver, even if only in the short term? Note that I’m not talking about giving either guy “experience for next year.” I’m just talking about instant gratification for fans.

Or let me put it this way: let’s you, YOU, knew that either way our ceiling is 5 wins or something. Would you more likely to vote “yay” to keeping CPJ if he tried to hit those 5 wins with some fresh blood?

Last edited:

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I think we don’t have a competitive team right now. It WAS my opinion that we had the big guns to have a special year. I was dead wrong. IMO, we should start to play the folks that will help us next year. This year is in the crapper.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Just thinking as I was watching that ugly game: if CPJ were think primarily about saving his own hide, he’d have an interesting quarterback dilemma.

The coaches watch the players every day. They know, in most cases, who gives us a better chance to win at each position. We can doubt that but historically the evidence has mostly shown the head coach to be right about his quarterbacks in particular. Tevin being superior to Vad, even through the air, is a good example.

But pragmatically, might having a worse chance to win be better for keeping his job? Wouldn’t the fan base be more excited seeing Graham or Oliver, even if only in the short term? Note that I’m not talking about giving either guy “experience for next year.” I’m just talking about instant gratification for fans.

Or let me put it this way: let’s you, YOU, knew that either way our ceiling is 5 wins or something. Would you more likely to vote “yay” to keeping CPJ if he tried to hit those 5 wins with some fresh blood?

Short answer.

No.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Just thinking as I was watching that ugly game: if CPJ were thinking primarily about saving his own hide, he’d have an interesting quarterback dilemma.

Only if the results were better. A new qb and a bunch of fumbles is the same as we have now and would lead me to think the future is bleaker than the present.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think we’ll see Graham until gm 8-9

Im thi king the reason we havent seen him is if the season is lost by that point johnson will want him to get his reps and set up for the future. Either way i would not be surprised if we see tobias take over for bowling green with tq potentially moving back to a back for the rest of the year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If he waits too late to even give Graham a chance and he looks better than the other two, then everyone will be all over him for not playing him sooner. I will be surprised if we see him at all this year but it would be better if he did. We aren't going to blow anyone out this year so he won't get many chances.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Will be surprised if he moves TQM. He is a captain and will be easy to lose the team with older vs younger players. TM was his choice last year and he will ride him into the sunset.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This thread is pretty out there. Coach is aware of the issues the team is facing, and wants to win more than any of us.

He will play the guy he thinks has the best chance of winning the game we are playing. Full stop.Any time players don’t present in live play the same way they practice, I can guarantee he is checking options. Whether through injuries or opponents adjustments, game plans change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Bees

Georgia Tech Fan
I think he is playing the qb that he feels will help him and the team win. The sad part is that Marshall looks less confident this year than last for some reason. I would not want to put my job in Marshalls hands at this point but maybe he has not choice. That though is a statement on recruiting. Why didn't we have someone better ready to go. Also a statement on coaching. Why haven't the coaches gotten Marshall or his backups more ready to go. Anyway you cut it the problem falls on the coaches.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
As a player, how do you think that would play out?

I am asking as a guy who never saw a locker room at Tech as a student.

You think players are dumb? When they see a senior starting mlb that cant make a tackle flop and play after play look like crap guess what. They cheer the change. They want to see others as much as anyone.

Let me state this in bold. OUR STARTING MLB CAPTAIN HAD ZERO SOLO TACKLES IN THIS GAME. GET THAT. ZERO. ONLY THREE ASSISTS. THAT IS PATHETIC.

Vs pitt. He only had 3. Its sad folks

If you are telling me bjs would be worse then we have no hope in football any longer.

There are two players on our d who have no business being on the field as much as they are. 6 and 51. Sorry. Just true

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think he is playing the qb that he feels will help him and the team win. The sad part is that Marshall looks less confident this year than last for some reason. I would not want to put my job in Marshalls hands at this point but maybe he has not choice. That though is a statement on recruiting. Why didn't we have someone better ready to go. Also a statement on coaching. Why haven't the coaches gotten Marshall or his backups more ready to go. Anyway you cut it the problem falls on the coaches.

You would be "less confident" if you had that line in front of you.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You think players are dumb? When they see a senior starting mlb that cant make a tackle flop and play after play look like crap guess what. They cheer the change. They want to see others as much as anyone.

Let me state this in bold. OUR STARTING MLB CAPTAIN HAD ZERO SOLO TACKLES IN THIS GAME. GET THAT. ZERO. ONLY THREE ASSISTS. THAT IS PATHETIC.

Vs pitt. He only had 3. Its sad folks

If you are telling me bjs would be worse then we have no hope in football any longer.

There are two players on our d who have no business being on the field as much as they are. 6 and 51. Sorry. Just true

Thank you for the reply, I was trying to figure out my position here. I am still learning their defense to be comfortable on assessing roles.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for the reply, I was trying to figure out my position here. I am still learning their defense to be comfortable on assessing roles.

No mlb that starts in major d1a football in any scheme should only have 3 solo tackles through 2 games. Its so sickening to me i didnt even bother to look at his usf numbers.