Seems like our defense almost never gets turnovers this year

MountPGT1990

Banned
What has happened? I think we had two against BC. Some backups might have gotten one against Vandy.

The only turnover we got against Clemson led to one of the most bizzare plays I've ever seen giving them a safety for two points and I'm pretty sure we didn't get one against Miami. Bend don't break with no turnovers is a recipe for disaster. The ol bend don't break D worked in 2014 because we led the country in getting turnovers. This year we have to be near the bottom of the NCAA in turnover margin this year.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The lack of getting turnovers is killing us. If we don't create any in the next few games, we will continue to struggle. Hopefully Roof and CPJ will visit the idea of getting more aggressive on D to create some opportunities. I remember in 2014, CPJ having to publicly "point out" that our corners were playing too soft, until we saw a more aggressive D in the second half of that season that led to many turnovers. Not sure why we are still not seeing that this year.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
This is bugging me too. Some of it is just bad luck (Austin's interception against CU turning against us, for example), but we really are not doing well in the turnover battle...specifically in the things that are not just dumb luck. The turnover disparity exacerbates every other problem the team is facing right now, so I hope that somehow we can find the right ju-ju to fix this. Does anyone have a live chicken that they are willing to sacrifice? ;)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nothing would make me happier than a pick or strip 6 next Saturday (well almost nothing). But that isn't what has caused us to lose the 2 games we lost. Everyone wants to ***** about the bend but don't break or whatever style of defense you want to call this but it has worked and isn't our issue right now.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not a hater of our D but a lack of turnovers is a huge problem. And though I think the D is improving, they are a part of why we have lost the last two. Even against UM, I think they played good enough to win, but the O would have had to play near mistake free. If they had held UM to one less TD I'd be much more inclined to exonerate them to a large degree. But they did not.

We have to play better in every phase, and maybe at every position, if we want a sure win.

I liked CPJ electing to receive after winning the toss. I think playing from the start with the lead would be very healthy for our psyche.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
We need TOs. It can't always be about perfect execution for 80 yards. Our D has been decent but there is no stronger predictor of a win or loss than TOs.
Hey--what's all this about "not saying another word", and then saying another word anyway? If things go south this weekend on the turnover front, I'm blaming you. ;)

Represent for @YJAlleyCat and me at the Coach's show, next week...sorry we can't be there!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Most QB's aren't bad enough to throw interceptions under zero pressure and no defender in front of the first down line.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Jimmies and Joes from what I can tell. Talent seems to be getting worse every year.

Disagree. Cerge-Henderson, Glanton, Simmons, Adams, and St Amour are all young guys who look like they are going to be good players.

DL is not a quick fix because physical development is huge. Experience and technique are important too. We have been recruiting better on the front 7 since Roof got here but those guys are just now getting in ballgames. IMO all are showing flashes as well as taking lumps.

I'd agree if those DL guys werent showing me anything.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For new guys
I restate my position since coming on swarm
Early in year when weather is HOT, we should be super aggressive on D.
1. We get extra reps on offense early in season so we are ckicking on all cykinders by mid season.
2. In the heat opponents defense gets tired in second half allowing us to overcome mistake we make being agressive.
3. Early in year offenses are less prepared for agressive defense (reference fcs upsets).
Midseason we dial back but still blitz etc to keep them off balance.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/team/255/turnovermargin/split.html

We are at -3 this year. In 2014 we were +11. Turnovers are worth about 3.5 points on average. Unfortunately JTs two turnovers last week were worth 14.

Given how well matched overall we are compared in most of our games, turnovers make the difference. I predict who ever wins the non-trash time turnover battle this weekend will win the game. (Pitt is +5)

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Are we not teaching a rugby style tacking technique now (like the Seahawks)? Wrap up low and roll to the ground as opposed to hitting in the numbers? It is effective, but does not lend itself to stripping the ball out since your hands are in a different place.

Interceptions...I would say we have played some good QBs that can hit their receivers when they are not rushed. And we are not rushing them.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I've seen too many "trying to strip" tackles were the runners get extra yards. Let the secondary or tertiary defenders go for the strip.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We are at -3 this year. In 2014 we were +11. Turnovers are worth about 3.5 points on average. Unfortunately JTs two turnovers last week were worth 14.

Given how well matched overall we are compared in most of our games, turnovers make the difference. I predict who ever wins the non-trash time turnover battle this weekend will win the game. (Pitt is +5)

I agree. So...are we overthinking this? Isn't turnover margin simply one indicator of how "good" a team actually is? In other words...with our body of work to date... aren't we simply not as good as we were in 2014?

I appreciate everything I read in this forum; but its pretty clear we have the full spectrum of opinions on how good the 2016 version of this team is...and how easy or difficult it will be to right the ship after 2 conference losses. I'm not an 'in the weeds' analytical expert on our football team (or any football team). At this point, I just get same feeling I get every season with this team. We have a very difficult time overcoming mistakes (turnovers a huge one)... the margin of error with our offense is razor thin. When it works... it looks like 60 minutes of 15 on 10 football. When it doesn't work, it looks like 10 on 15 football. When our defense generates a turnover or 2... that's a couple extra possessions we desperately need helping making up for any mistakes.