SEC Network replay official from our game was a UGA grad/fan

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I assumed that part of this fellow's job is to provide the angles available to the replay officials (who I'm not sure are in fact ACC). That would have an impact on how the replay is handled.
The replay system presents all the angles that the TV cameras cover to the officials. There is no editorial discretion by anyone besides the officials in the booth. This dude was probably just doing gameday ops for the stadium audio.

People are trying to find a conspiracy when incompetence is the much easier explanation. The officials on the field were far too slow with the whistle, and then the replay crew (rightfully) said that they could not see anything with the cameras that definitively showed something different than the call on the field, due to the ball (and Justin) disappearing into the pile of bodies.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
There hasn't been a single official asked about the pump fake that said they wouldn't have called a fumble.

Does "the tuck rule" not apply in college? Or, how is what JT did any different than the Tom Brady play? Brady was clearly pump faking, not throwing it to anyone, but it slipped out going forward. That, by rule in the NFL at least, is an incomplete pass:

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
The NCAA rulebook does not have the "tuck rule".

The other issue is that the ball didn't really go forward after it left his hand, so the other way to look at it is as a lateral.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys, while passionate about obvious biased officiating, are failing to point the most eggregious and most injurious "no-calls". Eggregious - goes to dip sht worthless LOS ref who didn't flag personal foul on two blocked kicks when same UGag thug went right over defenseless long-snapper (blatant penalty at all levels of football Due to huge safety issue) - did it twice after CPJ bitched. Injurious - goes to the late whistle and extracurricular tackling throughout game - on every Days run and then on Smelter tackle resulting in ACL - thanks #35 thug - suggest you change your jersey number before next years *** whipping.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
The replay system presents all the angles that the TV cameras cover to the officials. There is no editorial discretion by anyone besides the officials in the booth. This dude was probably just doing gameday ops for the stadium audio.

do you know this for a fact? I have heard other reports or instances in games where officials claimed they did not have an angle available that was available to the masses. Or at least it has to be requested.

Also there are 3 prescribed people in the booth, the official, the communicator, and the technician. If the guy is in the replay booth, he's part of the replay review team, and most likely the technician.

Last edited:

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA rulebook does not have the "tuck rule".

The other issue is that the ball didn't really go forward after it left his hand, so the other way to look at it is as a lateral.

Interestingly, in looking at the actual language of the "tuck rule," it looked like the NFL repealed it in 2013 anyway. That is certainly what I was yelling at my TV though!

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
The only bad call in the game was the "fumble" near the goal line. There hasn't been a single official asked about the pump fake that said they wouldn't have called a fumble.

Aren't you taking this Ron Swanson persona a bit far? :) Double negative or not...it is understandable.
What does Ron Swanson have to do with it? I don't understand what he wrote. The first sentence says that the fumble was a bad call and the second says that every ref they asked said that they would call it a fumble. So, which is it? Bad call or good call?

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
What does Ron Swanson have to do with it? I don't understand what he wrote. The first sentence says that the fumble was a bad call and the second says that every ref they asked said that they would call it a fumble. So, which is it? Bad call or good call?

He's talking about a different play. He is saying the bad fumble call was the 99 yrd return for a td fumble. The JT pump fake is a good call in his mind.

Does that help?

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
He's talking about a different play. He is saying the bad fumble call was the 99 yrd return for a td fumble. The JT pump fake is a good call in his mind.

Does that help?
Thanks. I saw a two sentence paragraph and I assumed that both sentences were talking about the same fumble.

The replay officials for the game were ACC. Given this guy's other job descriptions he was probably doing audio work for the UGA AA, not replay. Also, "replay technician" is probably more like "sets up the monitors and audio system", not "looks at video and makes calls" since that job would be more appropriately called "instant replay official".

The only bad call in the game was the "fumble" near the goal line. There hasn't been a single official asked about the pump fake that said they wouldn't have called a fumble.
I think I remember the announcers on TV expressing surprise that it was called a fumble. And Johnson pretty much said it was not a fumble, since his arm was in motion.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
It was not a fumble, it was an incomplete pass or intentional grounding at worst. Thomas was even in the air when it happened, he was jumping up and forward at the time fully indicating he was trying to see downfield over the defenders to Waller. Whether he was pump faking or had no intention to throw to Waller does not matter. The intention behind the arm motion is irrelevant. The ball came out on the forward arm motion, not on any "tuck." Refs rewrote the rule book to favor UGA all game long but they just could not rewrite it enough to stop the better team from winning the game.

CPJ never forces a replay of a call. He never risks a timeout to challenge. The fact that he did so this one time is enough to prove to me that the refs blew the call. The fact that this a5ehren dude has barely posted here and I do not recall him at all and then he is posting to try and call us unreasonable and defend blatant miscalls by an SEC officiating crew only further verifies to my thinking that I will side with our coach's opinion over his.

This rivalry series has been impacted in UGA's favor by bad officiating far too often over the years to be coincidence. Bad calls happen but they do not happen with such frequency in any other yearly rivalry games that Tech plays. nor so routinely in favor of one team.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The second sentence is where you called foul for the double negative, correct? If so, then double negative or not, I understood that sentence.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
The second sentence is where you called foul for the double negative, correct? If so, then double negative or not, I understood that sentence.
I apparently understood the double negative. I missed that he was talking about two different fumbles, not one.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
.....and another thing while we're at it. There weren't even any chop block calls on us so the refs must have sucked. Seriously - this crew should lose their gigs in FBS

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow

Wrong... the most egregious non-call was on the fake field goal by the dwags. I'm surprised more people didn't notice it. The "block" that freed the kicker to get the first down was the best tackle by the dwags all day. Number 87 grabbed the front of Jamal Golden's jersey in full view of the sideline ref. It was action besides the kicker in that whole area of the field. The ref swallowed his whistle hoping for a ugag TD. Forward to the 2:25 mark on video.