Scouting Tulane

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes.

Tulane played Tulsa in a sloppy game with 4 turnovers and 18 penalties. Double overtime that either team could have / should have avoided. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400547647

There will be an advantage for Tulane with the new home field for the first drive or two. The reason that Tulane is 104th after the first game is that they didn't start off high in the rankings and went down from there. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm

Our O will stomp on Tulane.
Tulane will run up the middle until we stop them. They averaged 8.5 yards a carry against Tulsa ..... I have to think we will be a good bit better.
The ST will be fine, Golden will have shaken off the rust and Butker and Rodwell will kick well.

One prediction is we win by 15. That still sounds about right to me, is that a curb stomp? I guess it is if you go into the 4th up 3 or more scores and play backups. http://www.knology.net/jashburn/football/archive/teams/tm_9.html

{There was no spread entered here when I checked : http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/}

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Tulane's coach is on the fast track. Young and good recruiter. I dont think this game will be easy.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A win by 15 sounds about right to me. And no, that is not a curb stomping, imho.

Some GT fans, on this site and others, were overly optimistic about this game, imho. I think we will win, and agree with the 15, but think it will be tight (like Wofford) for 3 quarters.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I posted a couple of weeks back that Tulane will be tough as it is the first game in their stadium, and it will be our first road game. If we don't self destruct in the first third of the game, then I think we get a grip on the game and pull out a win. O'leary said you make your biggest improvement between the first and second games. I saw a lot of improvement on the O between the first half and second half, and expect to see that much or more between the two games. Hope to see some improvement on D, but expect Tulane to score in the 20's. If JT's passing yesterday wasn't a fluke, then I expect us to score in the 30's (given reasonable amount of turnovers and penalties).

GSU will be tougher still, but if we wind up 3-0 after 3 tough games, we go to VT a better team and not likely to panic.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. Early on I poo-pooed this date on the schedule, but it now looks like genius. Tulane will provide a good test without a serious threat for a loss (I hope). Watching them last night I saw a team like Duke of past years. A team with some capable athletes, but not a complete team.

I buy that. Hoping to make corrections from Sat and come to play. Looking forward to seeing live.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tell the players to stay off Bourbon Street, and don't eat the oysters on the buffet bar. Should beat Tulane, but Tulane will be fired up to open a new stadium. I'll be happy with the 38-19 score we had against Wofford.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have that game recorded and have watched a total of about a quarter. It looked to me like there wasn't a whole lot of talent on the field, for either team. As always, we will need to play well, but I feel strongly we will be the more talented team.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
If Tulane misses as many tackles and take bad angle like they did against Tulsa, it will be a long day for them. I think our D will step up and I think some of the issues from this past weekend was due to the type of O. Now I know what it is like to watch your d play an option team. I think one of the keys will be to get up early and take the crowd out of the game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Weather projected way out next Saturday is high of 88 and possible thunderstorms. It should cool down by game time a bit but humidity will be there all night past the end.

The reason I bring up temperature is this last game of our had very limited substitutions in blistering hot conditions. THis has to have taken a big toll on many of our players, especially the OL and DL. They may have lost 15 pounds for some. The big guys had to be dying. It was not only hot; they were sprinting and with their body fat they are well insulated.

As a side note, if not for the game day experience for the fans, CPJ should push for these non-relevant (to TV viewing) games to be in the evening to put less fatigue on the players. The Woffard game took far more out of our starting team than I expected.

(I used to race bikes / triathlons and would go from 158 to 152 in three hour races despite drinking all I could so I sympathize. I would feel the dehydration effects in my body for a few days as a general lethargy. And that was in my 30's and I was in much better cardiovascular shape than the football players.)

Mack

Helluva Engineer
The greenies have some talent and a guy who can chuck it..they are very young no doubt but they do hustle after the rock.I think we play well but not so sure we will blow them or anybody out this year..We should be better than they are but its a football game not a physical make up

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Weather projected way out next Saturday is high of 88 and possible thunderstorms. It should cool down by game time a bit but humidity will be there all night past the end.

The reason I bring up temperature is this last game of our had very limited substitutions in blistering hot conditions. THis has to have taken a big toll on many of our players, especially the OL and DL. They may have lost 15 pounds for some. The big guys had to be dying. It was not only hot; they were sprinting and with their body fat they are well insulated.

As a side note, if not for the game day experience for the fans, CPJ should push for these non-relevant (to TV viewing) games to be in the evening to put less fatigue on the players. The Woffard game took far more out of our starting team than I expected.

(I used to race bikes / triathlons and would go from 158 to 152 in three hour races despite drinking all I could so I sympathize. I would feel the dehydration effects in my body for a few days as a general lethargy. And that was in my 30's and I was in much better cardiovascular shape than the football players.)
Agree the noon time will absolute kill you if you are over 60 plus...went to NCS few years ago and will never and I repeat never go to a noon game in august.....cold weather yea but not in this heat.Y:eek:u are right substituion is very important in this heat.

If Tulane misses as many tackles and take bad angle like they did against Tulsa, it will be a long day for them. I think our D will step up and I think some of the issues from this past weekend was due to the type of O. Now I know what it is like to watch your d play an option team. I think one of the keys will be to get up early and take the crowd out of the game.
There is a coach-speak axiom that teams make their biggest improvement between Game 1 and Game 2. Here's hoping our improvement is greater than Tulane's improvement.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
There is a coach-speak axiom that teams make their biggest improvement between Game 1 and Game 2. Here's hoping our improvement is greater than Tulane's improvement.
I agree but I think that improvement is more of scheme (Run fits/ pass coverage) more than techniques. Maybe a better way of saying it is you can improve between the ears. I think the only way to improve tackling is to do more of it and I don't think that is going to happen in one week. At least I hope it doesn't.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Agree the noon time will absolute kill you if you are over 60 plus...went to NCS few years ago and will never and I repeat never go to a noon game in august.....cold weather yea but not in this heat.Y:eek:u are right substituion is very important in this heat.

Mack:
Me and my daughter were there also. I just went back and checked and that game was the last weekend in September. That makes it worse. :)

Farmer's Almanac says the high in ATL on Sept 26 that year was only 93. Felt like 103 didn't it?