Scout Team Players of the Year

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Now, that is encouraging news! If these young men continue to develop they could be a real force for us in the future. I'm especially pleased that an OL and a DL were named. If these guys and the Austins both end up starting in the future, we'll see every sportswriter in the country doing stories on them.

Oth, a lot of the people who played this year would have been contenders for STPOY in the normal course of things. So this might be like a Ms. America contest in 1790; easier to win because there are only 13 states. Hope not.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wait a minute....Scott plays DT. Brian plays OL. Wouldn't they neutralize each other on every play?!!

All kidding aside, I think Scott will be a really good DT for us. We haven't mentioned him that much when doing our player predictions for next season, but he's physically ready to contribute.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Wait a minute....Scott plays DT. Brian plays OL. Wouldn't they neutralize each other on every play?!!
Hmmm...sort-of like an electric dipole: two equal and opposite charges in close proximity. At a distance, they each mask the other by mostly cancelling the other's opposing electric field. Separate them, though, and you can see their individual fields and realize that they are much stronger than you originally thought...

[Sorry...physics-nerd moment...]
#FearTheMorgans
Yes, precisely...

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Anyone remember who the 2013 Scout Team Players of the Year were? Or even 2012? I'm sure you could find it if you went through each player's profile on the website, but I'm studying for a final... Might end up doing it anyway. Just curious as to whether this award provides an accurate prophecy.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
"although Gary is supposedly coming on now...I guess."

Who knows, we seem to get a lot of smoke blown up our asses with this sort of stuff it seems.

I think you guys have to separate scout team player of the year from all-acc potential, next year impact, etc

just because you get this award it means little for projection in the future IMO. There are many factors to why kids get this award. And when twins get it at the same time, and play two different lines, it makes you wonder even more why? Off the field character? Effort? Energy other intangibles etc.

This award is not given to the best raw talent on the scout team. Or who the coaches think will be the best next year. Or the highest ceiling. Its given to kids who do more for the scout team to prep etc than normal.

Now, I am not saying that these two may not be good.

what I am saying is just because a player or two on our team get this reward, I would read almost NOTHING into it about the future; their impact, their ceiling etc. What it shows me is both have good character and showed up everyday and played hard. So thats a start and about it. Scout teams rep a lot at 75% speed.

We have had players get this award that didn't make impact til junior or senior year...some never really did.

in other words, don't let this award become a hype train. That is not what it is.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think you guys have to separate scout team player of the year from all-acc potential, next year impact, etc

just because you get this award it means little for projection in the future IMO. There are many factors to why kids get this award. And when twins get it at the same time, and play two different lines, it makes you wonder even more why? Off the field character? Effort? Energy other intangibles etc.

This award is not given to the best raw talent on the scout team. Or who the coaches think will be the best next year. Or the highest ceiling. Its given to kids who do more for the scout team to prep etc than normal.

Now, I am not saying that these two may not be good.

what I am saying is just because a player or two on our team get this reward, I would read almost NOTHING into it about the future; their impact, their ceiling etc. What it shows me is both have good character and showed up everyday and played hard. So thats a start and about it. Scout teams rep a lot at 75% speed.

We have had players get this award that didn't make impact til junior or senior year...some never really did.

in other words, don't let this award become a hype train. That is not what it is.
And Jabari is exhibit one in your evidence file, right?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
And Jabari is exhibit one in your evidence file, right?

nah beau hankins never did anything. He eventually left due to injury, but he was in this program 4 years before that. You mentioned Jabari. IIRC Jamie Alverez got it at WR and Matt Connors at BB a while back IIRC

Kids who get this award may or may not pan out...and if they do, often takes a few years. This award is not an indication of next year impact and people want to read into it as a hype train award. So my post was simple message of good job guys, but lets not create a hype train. And it was a direct reply to someone saying something about smoke blown up our backsides. This award isn't a smoke up the backside award about potential etc. It is recognizing scout team kids who do a nice job...for the scout team. Not the best talent necessarily, although it can be in some cases.

I think my point is simple and I will stand by it. Just because you get this award, that doesn't mean the staff thinks they are the best talent on the scout team, and don't create a hype train. Some of these guys are great contributors to the ball team and are being recognized for their efforts. In many, if not most cases their big team impact is 3 to 4 years out of their freshman year....

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Award just means the player(s) worked hard to give the starters a good look. Anything else is fans reading into it. Not to diminish the award though because it helps to have scout guys who take it seriously.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the Jabari hype train was created in various degrees by these things:

1. Scout team POY
2. Shaq Mason's comments "best DL I faced all year blah, blah, blah..."
3. Spring practice instagram clips of him breaking through the OL at will and sacking/distrupting offense
4. Byerly's "fear Jabari" tweets
5. Our overwhelming need for a savior at this position
6. His raw athleticism especially at his size
7. His positive attitude during his sit out year