Satellite Camps

CPJ doesn't seem to understand that the point of the satellite camps is not to see hidden gems but to employ local HS coaches with the expectation that the good will earned by the remuneration will come back later in recruits.
You don't seem to understand that CPJ knows more about "the business" than either you or I or probably anyone else on these boards.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You don't seem to understand that CPJ knows more about "the business" than either you or I or probably anyone else on these boards.

Do you dispute my suggestion that coaches are using satellite camps to recruit coaches as much if not more than their players or do you have a source where CPJ refers to this?

Of course, CPJ knows more about the business than I or you etc. However, I haven't seen any comment from him on camps that makes reference to access to, and use of, high school coaches. I have seen this from other coaches when talking about camps. So, I was making a comment on what SEEMS to be the case about his use of camps.

I intended it more as an attack on what motivates many of those pushing for camps than an attack on CPJ. I agree with him that HUDL etc makes it less likely that the real issue is seeing kids.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Whatever each coach's motivations for these satellite camps, the fact remains the NCAA allows them. Some schools/coaches may not like it, but it doesn't erase the fact that it exists and other schools/coaches are utilizing it to their benefit. If it helps recruiting in any way, a school should utilize it. If school does not, they're just hurting themselves.

It reminds me of the social media debate a few years ago. CPJ and GT were to slow to take advantage of it, while other coaches and programs utilize it to their benefit. If the NCAA give you a weapon to use, why keep it in the bag? Use every one of them within the letter of the law because other programs sure will.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A satelite camp just announced for Lee County in S. Georgia. Michigan and UCLA among the bigs to be here.
That would be exciting, I would think, for young athletes in the area. Wonder what anyone thinks the long term impact of camps like this will be on Georgia recruiting?

Tech needs to run a camp in California. :D

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There was enough content in the Official Offseason Thread to spawn off a new one for satellite camps.

Buford satellite camp a win-win for coaches and players
North Carolina State head coach Dave Doren and the majority of his staff were on hand for the camp, as was Wake Forest head coach Dave Clawson and his coaches. A plethora of University of Tennessee coaches made the trip down as well, led by defensive coordinator Bob Shoop.

Coaches from the University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Maryland, Miami, Eastern Kentucky, Chattanooga and Alabama were among those on hand for the camp.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN: With review coming, satellite camps can be improved
While the debate over satellite camps was raging this spring and summer, a separate NCAA subcommittee was well into its second year of a "holistic review of the entire recruiting model." When the NCAA reversed course with the satellite camp ban, it asked this subcommittee to look at "potential modifications to camps and clinics participation." The subcommittee was initially asked to have these recommendations by Sept. 1, but the NCAA's Board of Directors told the group recently that it has until Nov. 1 to present its findings.
The idea of the NCAA taking over satellite camps is a definite hit with many high school and college coaches. Most interviewed agreed that a nationalized camp plan would alleviate their concerns about unregulated camps and still help kids get more opportunities to compete for scholarships. Prospects would be on board with the idea too.