Satellite Camps

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Harbaugh blasts NCAA for barring out-of-area football camps

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/sports-cfb/20160413/NCAA-Harbaugh/?cid=featuredsports_media_harbaugh

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Jim Harbaugh has fired back at the NCAA.
The Michigan coach says, ''the incompetence of the NCAA has reared its ugly head yet again,'' in a story published Tuesday by Sports Illustrated.
Harbaugh was reacting to Friday's decision that bars football coaches from having camps or clinics away from campus or facilities that schools regularly use for practice or games.
The NCAA sided with the Southeastern and Atlantic Coast conferences' proposal to stop Harbaugh's so-called satellite camps.
The envelope-pushing coach, whose sweeping tour of the South last year created a stir, already had stops lined up in Florida and Alabama this year.
Harbaugh says, ''this is going to affect thousands and thousands of people,'' and adds, ''I suggest we drop the term `student-athlete' for consistency.''

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Jim Harbaugh said:
''I suggest we drop the term `student-athlete' for consistency.''

Then Mr. Harbaugh better be ready to start sharing some of his millions with the whatever he intends to call the University of Michigan's newest employees.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Harbaugh says, ''this is going to affect thousands and thousands of people...''
Ol' Jim just wants a recruiting foothold in the talent rich South. Football camps are a major part of recruiting and when kids cannot afford to travel hundreds of miles to an out-of-state camp, they don't go.

I'm not really sure where the downside is for college football other that the programs in the South losing a tiny bit of their geographical advantage in relation to recruiting. Can somebody explain to me how this hurts kids or the game?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm in favor of having satellite camps....with a cap. I think it certainly gives HS players the opportunity to drive to their State U's (or I's in our case) as opposed to having to spend money on hotels and flights to make it to certain schools. They get to interact with coaches they wouldn't normally have access to. My nephew went to quite a few camps when he was in HS, but he was fortunate that he had the financial ability to go all over the place. Not all kids are that lucky.

At the same time, I understand from the coaches perspective that they don't want to have to compete with another coach and use their time to travel to another school's camp to keep up with the recruiting race.

That's why I think there should be a cap on satellite camps. Allow either 1 or 2 satellite camps per year, and you can't return to that state for a satellite camp for 4 year cycle. I think that's a fair compromise because at the end of the day you want to do what's best for the HS kids who need the exposure, and college coaches who have to give up time in the offseason to do it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Camps are supposed to be an opportunity for kids to improve their skills. This developed into an opportunity for coaches to get eyes on a specific recruit and actually "work him out." That has moved into a situation where the coaches are now barnstorming around the country to get an opportunity to work these kids out and get a good evaluation of their abilities. I am 100% against satellite camps. Camps are there to help the local kids improve. Everything else is just a farce.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Camps are supposed to be an opportunity for kids to improve their skills. This developed into an opportunity for coaches to get eyes on a specific recruit and actually "work him out." That has moved into a situation where the coaches are now barnstorming around the country to get an opportunity to work these kids out and get a good evaluation of their abilities. I am 100% against satellite camps. Camps are there to help the local kids improve. Everything else is just a farce.
It was also an opportunity to send some money to HS coaches and athletic departments.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cant have big money and maintain the student-athlete concept. At least the concept where the person is required to be more than a student of the sport he is playing. I agree with Harbaugh .... "drop the term `student-athlete' for consistency." It's a farce at most schools.

While this avenue of camps may be slowed, there will be other ways to increase recruiting and exposure to the HS kids.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Regional combines? Interesting idea. I wonder how much that would impact the Nike, Rivals and the like camps. I don't know if coaches are allowed to attend those camp so the impact on them may be none but I think the combine scenario has merits. Schools could still hold camp as they used to be, instructional.
Summer camps began as instructional then turned into a recruiting gold mine then turned into a recruiting invasion.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It appears the NCAA Board of Directors has overturned the April decision to ban satellite camps. CPJ is going camping.

Georgia Tech gets into satellite camp game

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

Georgia Tech will get into the satellite camp game. Coach Paul Johnson said Monday that the team will have a coaching presence this summer at three satellite camps, in Jacksonville, Fla., Birmingham, Ala., and Stockbridge.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It appears the NCAA Board of Directors has overturned the April decision to ban satellite camps. CPJ is going camping.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

Georgia Tech will get into the satellite camp game. Coach Paul Johnson said Monday that the team will have a coaching presence this summer at three satellite camps, in Jacksonville, Fla., Birmingham, Ala., and Stockbridge.

CPJ doesn't seem to understand that the point of the satellite camps is not to see hidden gems but to employ local HS coaches with the expectation that the good will earned by the remuneration will come back later in recruits.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Gonna be interesting reading comments from the posters who slammed satellite camps...