Salute to the Coaches.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Lew Caralla
The guys looked physically bigger and played like it. The announcers (while kissing FSU rays) even made notice of how physically impressive the WR core was. Obviously the weight gain was not bad weight as Ryans gained 20lbs and was just dominant.

2. Keys
I don’t think FSU’s NFL front four got a sack without added pressure. The OLine got push and created a pocket. Didn’t look like the same OLine from last year. Jordan Williams is a Man Child.

3. Coleman & Knight
They were supposed to rely on their running game but their backs never got off. The line held with a rotation of redshirt freshmen and sophomores. 3 sacks. 90 rushing yards on 35 carries. They played vets. This a young defense and a young team.

4. Coach Patenaude
Much maligned but showed what he can do with players that fit. Created a game plan for Jeff that allowed him to thrive. Despite mistake they offense went over 438 yards on a team loaded with NFL talent. As Jeff and the offense matures the offense should be explosive. Add Gibbs to this mix, wow. Again this a young team.

UCF is fast and their QB is way more of a threat as a passer (but significantly less mobile). I’m ready to see what the coaches can cook up next week.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I agree.

The entire coaching staff was outstanding in (a) preparing the team for a tough season opener on the road against a quality team; (b) keeping the team loose and focused through two long, unexpected lightning weather delays, (c) Implementing the game plan and making the right calls and needed adjustments throughout the game when warranted; (d) keeping themselves and their players cool under great pressure when bad things happened at different points throughout the game; and (e) finishing through to the end with a well-deserved win.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
With the exception of place kicking, this team looked way better in every aspect of the game. The difference between last year and what I saw yesterday boggles the mind.

I would add that our AD is starting to look a whole lot smarter too!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am still shaking my head in disbelief we were able to handle all the adversity so well.
  • True freshman qb going against the program who said “no thanks”
  • Long delays in a visitors locker room
  • Two interceptions at crucial moments
  • Multiple blocked kicks
  • Questionable calls all night on flags / no flags / spots
  • Road game, with travel, 5+ hour game in the heat and humidity
  • All the pressure of 2020 (Covid/social justice/etc)
  • Missing key players (Gibbs, Clayton, etc)
And the boys just showed up, put the ball down and balled. This team ground out that win and I could not be more proud of them and their efforts.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's one data point, vs 12 from last year. But I didn't have issues with the offensive playcalling last night at all. I didn't agree with every single call, but CDP called a really good game for Sims and co. It may well be that when the team can execute the plays he wants to call he's not a bad playcaller.

There was only one call I really smacked my forehead on. If I recall correctly it was an attempted screen pass to Camp that got blown up. The defender got to him before the ball. The blocking WR got totally ole'd. Camp, to his credit, secured the ball and took the hit (5 yard loss). I'm all for giving Camp opportunities to get the ball in his hands. But if CDP is calling a WR screen, Camp needs to be blocking, that's his skill.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's one data point, vs 12 from last year. But I didn't have issues with the offensive playcalling last night at all. I didn't agree with every single call, but CDP called a really good game for Sims and co. It may well be that when the team can execute the plays he wants to call he's not a bad playcaller.

There was only one call I really smacked my forehead on. If I recall correctly it was an attempted screen pass to Camp that got blown up. The defender got to him before the ball. The blocking WR got totally ole'd. Camp, to his credit, secured the ball and took the hit (5 yard loss). I'm all for giving Camp opportunities to get the ball in his hands. But if CDP is calling a WR screen, Camp needs to be blocking, that's his skill.

It was Brown trying to block the screen for Camp...

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand this thread! After reading some of the comments on the chat room during the game last night, I thought all of our coaches are horrible and have shown no improvement since last year. :rolleyes:

Best coaching decision: Start Sims and play him the entire game. Unless we have an injury or a blow out game, not likely since we have no creampuffs to play, we will have 3 Qbs not seeing action.
Best Coaching: Coach LC, we are a strong looking bunch and obviously in shape.

When you hold FSU to 13 points after giving up as many turnovers as we did, 4 if you count blocked kicks....you are doing some damn good D coaching.

jacket38

Jolly Good Fellow

Both carter and Brown couldnt contain one linebacker. That's just credit to FSU on that play.

Scubapro

Banned
I don’t understand this thread! After reading some of the comments on the chat room during the game last night, I thought all of our coaches are horrible and have shown no improvement since last year. :rolleyes:
The coaches did ok...I got stepped on for calling out the fact that FSU was playing vanilla coverages waiting on Sims to make a mistake. They changed coverages and forced him to make two bad reads when we got close to the end zone but for the most part the mistakes didn't arrive like FSU needed.
Everyone is excited about Sims and we should be. Will Pnut adjust his game planning as needed? History at Temple and CC says no. OR Maybe he realized he cant skate by and he will be required to make sure the players know the plays. IDK Good players make the coaches look smart. Sims is a gamer..
The game planning on D was good...the blitzes, stunts and coverages looked well timed ...completely different from last year. Big Ups to Coach Thacker
After all this to say is was a great win over those Semi-Holes

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I will also jump on board praising the coaching staff. Well done. And kudos to Coach Collins for accepting responsibility for the lapse in the kicking game. Time to fix the special teams problems.

Folks will not be overlooking Tech for the remainder of the season.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow

I remember that play. Definitely should have switched who was catching and who was blocking.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Disclaimer: Please take this at face value and not turn this into coach vs. coach. I'm talking about CDP in a vacuum.

Yesterday was the first game that CDP had a quarterback on the GT roster that had other P5 offers for QB. Maybe he never had one at Temple either. Unsurprisingly, we looked different. Perhaps CDP isn't the best at transitioning from a prior system to what he wants to do. Maybe his version of "transition" is more akin to another's version of "rip the band-aid". Maybe he's not as clever or adaptable as people wanted last year. But maybe he's good when he has more compatible pieces in place for what he wants to do.

His improvement year 1 to year 2 at Temple was measurable. So far after one game we are night and day compared to last year. That's not just related to the QB, but the OL, TE, WR, cohesion, familiarity with the scheme, etc. Yesterday's performance probably isn't our peak for this year either, given the penalties, INTs and missed opportunities for points + field position. That's all while performing against what's expected to be a decent D.

Logically, talent + experience in system that is closer to par with our opponent makes our offense (and defense) look better. The whole "physical superiority cancels all theories" applies, whether it's square peg/round hole year 1 or more of the compatible pieces + experience in year 2.

CDP called a game that far exceeded my expectations, and I wasn't as down on him as some were last year. Yesterday we had to be able to toss the ball from the get-go as we were getting stuffed early with our RBs, and Sims was up to the task from the jump. Credit to both CDP and Sims for being ready.

In many ways the same could be said for Thacker and the D.

For both O and D, I'm still in wait and see mode for a variety of reasons. It was one game, but the team exceeded expectations for that one game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
1. Lew Caralla
The guys looked physically bigger and played like it. The announcers (while kissing FSU rays) even made notice of how physically impressive the WR core was. Obviously the weight gain was not bad weight as Ryans gained 20lbs and was just dominant.

2. Keys
I don’t think FSU’s NFL front four got a sack without added pressure. The OLine got push and created a pocket. Didn’t look like the same OLine from last year. Jordan Williams is a Man Child.

3. Coleman & Knight
They were supposed to rely on their running game but their backs never got off. The line held with a rotation of redshirt freshmen and sophomores. 3 sacks. 90 rushing yards on 35 carries. They played vets. This a young defense and a young team.

4. Coach Patenaude
Much maligned but showed what he can do with players that fit. Created a game plan for Jeff that allowed him to thrive. Despite mistake they offense went over 438 yards on a team loaded with NFL talent. As Jeff and the offense matures the offense should be explosive. Add Gibbs to this mix, wow. Again this a young team.

UCF is fast and their QB is way more of a threat as a passer (but significantly less mobile). I’m ready to see what the coaches can cook up next week.

My Florida alumni friends at church were very happy for Georgia Tech and not just because we beat the hated Seminoles. They did say that FSU continues to have problems with the offensive line and that Blackman is a different quarterback once he gets hit and his jersey is messed up. FSU they said, is a lot like Miami in that while there is plentiful talent it is uneven. Talented defensive line and secondary not so much at linebacker. Talented receivers, sometimes, not so much at offensive line and they were disdainful of Blackman. I think FSU fans lay all their offensive woes on Blackman but it is not entirely his fault. Once he gets hit he becomes a bit hesitant and is not delivering the ball on time. He was a real Jekyll and Hyde act after the first drive.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Disclaimer: Please take this at face value and not turn this into coach vs. coach. I'm talking about CDP in a vacuum.

Yesterday was the first game that CDP had a quarterback on the GT roster that had other P5 offers for QB. Maybe he never had one at Temple either. Unsurprisingly, we looked different. Perhaps CDP isn't the best at transitioning from a prior system to what he wants to do. Maybe his version of "transition" is more akin to another's version of "rip the band-aid". Maybe he's not as clever or adaptable as people wanted last year. But maybe he's good when he has more compatible pieces in place for what he wants to do.

His improvement year 1 to year 2 at Temple was measurable. So far after one game we are night and day compared to last year. That's not just related to the QB, but the OL, TE, WR, cohesion, familiarity with the scheme, etc. Yesterday's performance probably isn't our peak for this year either, given the penalties, INTs and missed opportunities for points + field position. That's all while performing against what's expected to be a decent D.

Logically, talent + experience in system that is closer to par with our opponent makes our offense (and defense) look better. The whole "physical superiority cancels all theories" applies, whether it's square peg/round hole year 1 or more of the compatible pieces + experience in year 2.

CDP called a game that far exceeded my expectations, and I wasn't as down on him as some were last year. Yesterday we had to be able to toss the ball from the get-go as we were getting stuffed early with our RBs, and Sims was up to the task from the jump. Credit to both CDP and Sims for being ready.

In many ways the same could be said for Thacker and the D.

For both O and D, I'm still in wait and see mode for a variety of reasons. It was one game, but the team exceeded expectations for that one game.

Proof is in the pudding. Over 400 yards total offense is not shabby. Leaving 7 points on the ground because of special teams is not good. The part about the game I liked the most was the tackling on defense. We were just more physical than they were. We wanted it more and it showed. Can we do it again this week against UCF? I wish we had Clayton back for that game.