Salute to the Coaches.

Scubapro

Banned
Chat frustrations are what they are, and you can't really hold people to what is said in the moment with a whiskey or three in them :) Most of what I remember is everyone saying "Wow! Sims feels different.'
I was one to criticize coaching in the chat and will admit it. The punt coverages where we run one guy at full speed to dive and whiff drives me nuts...did it Saturday and all last year. The field goal unit was a hot mess last year...was again on Saturday...Coach owned it...let's see if it gets fixed.
Trying to bounce it outside on a delay hand off plays into the speed of the line backers. I thought we could have tried the middle since the tackles and ends were shooting up field. We've see teams use the deep hand-off up the middle on us for years. Stopping them on 4th down and not being able to convert more than one first down. Giving them the ball with ~2 min and change felt Chan-ish last minute loss was in the works.
FSU did a good job of switching coverages inside the 20s...part of this is a shorter field and gives them more options...but they did it and it worked....it didn't work the third time though. They showed and played man where Sims burned them.
The D played very well IMO.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I was one to criticize coaching in the chat and will admit it. The punt coverages where we run one guy at full speed to dive and whiff drives me nuts...did it Saturday and all last year. The field goal unit was a hot mess last year...was again on Saturday...Coach owned it...let's see if it gets fixed.
Trying to bounce it outside on a delay hand off plays into the speed of the line backers. I thought we could have tried the middle since the tackles and ends were shooting up field. We've see teams use the deep hand-off up the middle on us for years. Stopping them on 4th down and not being able to convert more than one first down. Giving them the ball with ~2 min and change felt Chan-ish last minute loss was in the works.
FSU did a good job of switching coverages inside the 20s...part of this is a shorter field and gives them more options...but they did it and it worked....it didn't work the third time though. They showed and played man where Sims burned them.
The D played very well IMO.

It’s almost like it pains you to say anything positive about the offense and impossible to credit coach P.

You say we should’ve ran inside the tackles, but from what I remember watching the game, the only time we really had success running the ball was to the edge (see Mason’s td run).

Would it have been nice to run the clock out to finish the game after the stop? Yes. We picked up a 1st down then 5 years on 1st down. The next play Mason lost 5 due to a blitz (fuzzy memory). As Sims gets more mature and the coaches get more confidnce in him he will be able to diagnose and check out of plays.

After the loss and then false start, no coach in their right mind would call anything that could hurt the team. Take as much clock off and punt was the play. Not sure what you would’ve had us differentlt with a true freshman qb.

Some of the worst plays we had offensively Saturday won’t happen as Sims matures. I’m not talking about the picks either but the negative plays. He will get better at seeing where the blitz is coming from and check out of plays. That will take time though.

All in all, Patenaude called a good to very good game and gives me reason to believe last year was much more due to wrong personnel and us wanting to show we were different than his lack ofplay calling chops.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I was in the chat room; you were not, and nothing even remotely similar to what you just claimed is true.
Actually, Supersize, I jumped in and out of the chat numerous times. I didn't comment (for some reason my iPhone wouldn't let me), but I was monitoring the chat. Also, I'm not accusing everyone (or even a majority of the chatters) of being negative. If you took it that I was saying it was prevalent, then I must have done a bad job with my post in this thread and I apologize. Instead of saying "some", maybe I should have said "a small handful." Most of the people on the chat were excited about the way we were playing, realizing that it was the first game of the season and adjustments were being made more quickly and better than last year. There were, however, a "small handful" that posted several times their displeasure with the coaching, and these were the ones I was calling out. We would have 3-4 good plays in a row, and then one that would only gain a couple of yards or even lose yardage, and the complaints about our coaches would start. I'm one of the fans that believes that not every play is going to go as planned, and how the team reacts on the next play is truly what matters.

In a nutshell, although we still need to work on some things and we got lucky on a couple of plays (especially on defense) I was excited about what I saw from the coaches and players and have cautious optimism for the rest of the season.

Scubapro

Banned
It’s almost like it pains you to say anything positive about the offense and impossible to credit coach P.

You say we should’ve ran inside the tackles, but from what I remember watching the game, the only time we really had success running the ball was to the edge (see Mason’s td run).

Would it have been nice to run the clock out to finish the game after the stop? Yes. We picked up a 1st down then 5 years on 1st down. The next play Mason lost 5 due to a blitz (fuzzy memory). As Sims gets more mature and the coaches get more confidnce in him he will be able to diagnose and check out of plays.

After the loss and then false start, no coach in their right mind would call anything that could hurt the team. Take as much clock off and punt was the play. Not sure what you would’ve had us differentlt with a true freshman qb.

Some of the worst plays we had offensively Saturday won’t happen as Sims matures. I’m not talking about the picks either but the negative plays. He will get better at seeing where the blitz is coming from and check out of plays. That will take time though.

All in all, Patenaude called a good to very good game and gives me reason to believe last year was much more due to wrong personnel and us wanting to show we were different than his lack ofplay calling chops.
Well...Coach P is consistent. He averaged sixteen points a game last year and he is on track for that this year. TIC
I will admit it. I think he is a douche. Like I said in other posts I don't see him out coaching anyone based on his films from Coastal and Temple. I love Georgia Tech and I hope for our sake I am wrong about him. However, he has to step up his in game adjustments and game planning. He has done a great job with Sims so far but he has a long way to go. Not scoring touchdowns in the red zone will cause lots of losses. The performance on Saturday gives me a bit of hope for him but we have a razor thin margin for error.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think all of the coaches called a good game. The advantage we had in game 1 was the element of surprise....especially on the offense. No one could have expected us to have a competent short and intermediate passing game after last year. And we ran a lot of stunts on the D-Line to get pressure. UCF will have a lot more knowledge of our schemes for this year. It doesn't mean we dramatically change what we want to do. But it does mean we will have to adapt to what the other team is doing more in week 2 than we had to in week 1. So if UCF defense comes out with the intent to take away some of the short passing game, we will likely have to amp up the running game. The value we have on offense now is we have a credible passing and running game so we can definitely mix and match. But it will be interesting to see how much Sims is given the ability to audible on plays after surveying the defense. That takes experience and I am not sure how much the coaches will trust him to make those changes yet. The one big advantage of the 3O was every play to a great extent was consistent so a little easier learning curve. With regards to defense, mixing stunts and blitzes to get pressure is crucial if we get them to third and long. Bottom line is I think this will be a much better view of the capabilities of our coaching staff since I think a lot more in game adjustments will be required for us to win or be competitive.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
With regards to Coach P, you can't blame him for the 7 points we lost in the kicking game (since he is NOT the Special Teams coach). You also can't blame him for the 2 interceptions which were both bad throws (no offense to Sims since he clearly was trying to make plays). The fact that we gained over 400 yards is extremely positive and taking a shot at Coach P on GT scoring 16 points is more than unfair.

Scubapro

Banned
With regards to Coach P, you can't blame him for the 7 points we lost in the kicking game (since he is NOT the Special Teams coach). You also can't blame him for the 2 interceptions which were both bad throws (no offense to Sims since he clearly was trying to make plays). The fact that we gained over 400 yards is extremely positive and taking a shot at Coach P on GT scoring 16 points is more than unfair.
Maybe. I am not blaming him for the blocked kicks...I am blaming him for not scoring Touch downs in those scenarios. Curry's fumble recovery put us inside the 15 and we really really needed a touchdown and we couldn't do it.
I can chalk up the two interceptions to a freshman trying to make plays but it was also due to FSU changing up coverages based on what Coach P was calling.
Look I hope he coaches three Heisman trophy winners here before he retires. I don't think it's unfair to criticize him even though he had our freshman QB ready to play.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was on the chat at the beginning. Fortunately, I didn't stay on and make an *** of myself. I took a walk on the beach in the second quarter as I am on vacation and supposed to be enjoying myself. If the game isn't enjoyable at some level, best to walk away. Too much PTSD from last year(s).

That said, my biggest concern this year was Coach P calling plays that we could execute. He did that and did a good job overall (I don't have much qualification to evaluate him other than looking at the stats.)

And the D is much better tackling and flying to the ball.

And damn, our players look like their size and strength and conditioning will match up or exceed most on our schedule. Plus they just have a great attitude even when down.

I do understand ST better. The missed FGs were bothersome but somewhat understandable. Why really got me was our KO returns. On the first four I think we lost like 30 yards over fair catching. Opening the game on the ~10 wasn't cool. The few other games I've watched seem to confirm that most teams aren't taking advantage of getting the ball on the 25. Oh well.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I do understand ST better. The missed FGs were bothersome but somewhat understandable. Why really got me was our KO returns. On the first four I think we lost like 30 yards over fair catching. Opening the game on the ~10 wasn't cool. The few other games I've watched seem to confirm that most teams aren't taking advantage of getting the ball on the 25. Oh well.

Something tells me we are going to see a lot more of D. Smith on kick returns. He is a gamer with the ball in his hand. On his one return he saw a slight opening and hit that seam. The dancing from J. Thomas was frustrating to watch on the first return, but I suppose I can understand if that was more on the blocking. Much room for improvement on ST going forward.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Overall, I thought the coaches did a good job.

Our freshman QB got a game plan he could execute. The D played well, especially - a surprise - up front, though some of that could have been FSU's OL. We didn't run block especially well, but I suspect that'll come when the coaches decide to make Sims a running threat. He doesn't have to do much more then 8 - 10 designed runs or option keeps a game to be a massive worry for the opposing DCs. He would kill on plays like this:

And goto 2:00. He's just like Jesse Ertz. Both 6'3", 215 or so. Just get him to go out there and do it.

The only complaint comes - AGAIN - with special teams. Why did we have two kicks blocked? There is no excuse for that; none whatsoever. The return game and punts were ok, but there were so few plays it's hard to tell if we've improved. One thing: I would have kept Juanyeh on the field for all kickoff returns. True, he made what I'm starting to call "The Juanyeh Mistake" on his one opportunity: he ran into coverage. But, oth, he's the one guy we have who has proven he take it back all the way. That's enough for me; keep him out there.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Overall, I thought the coaches did a good job.

Our freshman QB got a game plan he could execute. The D played well, especially - a surprise - up front, though some of that could have been FSU's OL. We didn't run block especially well, but I suspect that'll come when the coaches decide to make Sims a running threat. He doesn't have to do much more then 8 - 10 designed runs or option keeps a game to be a massive worry for the opposing DCs. He would kill on plays like this:

And goto 2:00. He's just like Jesse Ertz. Both 6'3", 215 or so. Just get him to go out there and do it.

The only complaint comes - AGAIN - with special teams. Why did we have two kicks blocked? There is no excuse for that; none whatsoever. The return game and punts were ok, but there were so few plays it's hard to tell if we've improved. One thing: I would have kept Juanyeh on the field for all kickoff returns. True, he made what I'm starting to call "The Juanyeh Mistake" on his one opportunity: he ran into coverage. But, oth, he's the one guy we have who has proven he take it back all the way. That's enough for me; keep him out there.

I am also frustrated with the blocked kicks, but CGC gave a fairly straightforward explanation. We didn't get enough live action drills this offseason, and frankly the DL for FSU was scary good and made moves to affect us. We will have to see if it continues, but if it doesn't then I am not certain it deserves more attention that it has already gotten.

Deleted member 2897

Essentially 450 yards of offense to 300. That’s a pretty big beat down and absent turnovers and penalties and what-not you’d expect something like a 30-17 game or something like that.

I am very optimistic about this team because most of our problems are easily fixable - blocked kicks, stupid penalties (hands to face), a couple bad QB decisions, and some bad coverage/return decisions.

If we clean up some of the mistakes, continue to play well, and get some of our stars back like Swilling, Gibbs, Clayton, and Chimedza and I think we can win a lot of games.

It’s just really nice to look like a regular competent football team again.

Ok, about the offense:
1. First game with a Freshman Qb.
2. We left 7 points on the ground with kicking and maybe with 1 of the 2 picks we might have driven those in.
3. Don't sell the FSU D short. They may have one of the best Dlines in CFB and Samuel is a baller. A lot of those guys will be playing on Sunday.

If Coach P sticks with what he did in the second half and try to run more outside, we will score some points this year.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. I am not blaming him for the blocked kicks...I am blaming him for not scoring Touch downs in those scenarios. Curry's fumble recovery put us inside the 15 and we really really needed a touchdown and we couldn't do it.
I can chalk up the two interceptions to a freshman trying to make plays but it was also due to FSU changing up coverages based on what Coach P was calling.
Look I hope he coaches three Heisman trophy winners here before he retires. I don't think it's unfair to criticize him even though he had our freshman QB ready to play.
But it is. A freshman QB made 2 bad decisions trying to do too much. CDP calmed him down and helped him get his head straight and the problems ended. But you be you. While the rest of us are celebrating the win and looking forward to the rest of the year you can wallow in your constant whining.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow

Penalties were a big reason Sims even had those picks. I don’t fault CDP for running the ball on first and goal but you can’t have an illegal hands to the face call in that situation. I have full confidence we would have scored a TD there without it. I never did see a replay on the penalty on that first drive that negated the big play.

Scubapro

Banned
Penalties were a big reason Sims even had those picks. I don’t fault CDP for running the ball on first and goal but you can’t have an illegal hands to the face call in that situation. I have full confidence we would have scored a TD there without it. I never did see a replay on the penalty on that first drive that negated the big play.
Fair enough about the penalties...The Covid lockdown gave me way too much time to watch his body of work. Sorry if I am not impressed with his accomplishments. I am thrilled with the win. Like I said earlier, Coach P, did a great job getting Sims ready. He has the rest of the season to do a great coaching job and for me change my mind about him.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Fair enough about the penalties...The Covid lockdown gave me way too much time to watch his body of work. Sorry if I am not impressed with his accomplishments. I am thrilled with the win. Like I said earlier, Coach P, did a great job getting Sims ready. He has the rest of the season to do a great coaching job and for me change my mind about him.

What in his body of work led you to believe he's a "douche"?