Safety call

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Still a safety since we had possession. Touchbacks are only when the possessing team fumbles forward through the endzone or kicks & passes caught by the other team in the endzone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
In the past, this kind of weird stuff happened TO Clemson in Atlanta. Hope this is not the start of a reverse trend. We already have terrible luck playing uGA at home. We don't need another curse.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I told my girlfriend that it's not GT's night after that play. We've got to coach our guys better about situational awareness...no need to leave the EZ when taking the knee would have been the smart thing to do. Of course, Lance made a spectacular return last year against FSU when the safe play was to take a knee, so you can't really blame him for trying to make a play. Lord knows our offense wasn't making any plays at that point...

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Based on the game results up to that point, I thought it was a very strategic play by the DB. Via a rapid progression of comparative analysis after the moment of the interception, he decided that giving up two points was better than an offensive implosion deep in their territory and allowing the Clempson defense to score a TD on a turnover. Unfortunately, our DBs went into a classic "prevent you from stopping the other team" Defense and Clempson scored again after the safety which ultimately proved to be the death blow in a game that we weren't in from the beginning.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We've got to coach our guys better about situational awareness...no need to leave the EZ when taking the knee would have been the smart thing to do.

IMHO, if you watch the replay, he really didn't catch it and then decide to try to advance it. Lance steps up field to catch the ball. He catches it a step and a half inside the endzone. Forward momentum carries him two steps. He's out of the endzone before he can come to a stop. His first (and only) "football move" is to step sideways to try to dodge the WR's's tackle. Never had a chance to do anything differently.

He could not have taken a knee in the endzone, at best he would have downed it on the 1/2 yard line. To me it looks like even if he hadn't fumbled he was going to be tackled back into the endzone. Might have been ruled a safety anyway, if the refs decided his side step was partly backwards. (And anybody doubt they would have?)

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
IMHO, if you watch the replay, he really didn't catch it and then decide to try to advance it. Lance steps up field to catch the ball. He catches it a step and a half inside the endzone. Forward momentum carries him two steps. He's out of the endzone before he can come to a stop. His first (and only) "football move" is to step sideways to try to dodge the WR's's tackle. Never had a chance to do anythin

No. As soon as Lance Austin caught the interception he looked upfield and saw only one man to beat. All he had to do was evade the WR and he had a clear race to the other endzone. His brother should've made a beeline to block that WR instead of turning upfield himself. Then Griffen would not have cut back to block and inadvertently blundered into Austin to cause the fumble. Probable pick-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk