Safety call

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Can someone explain the safety call where we intercepted, fumbled the ball outside the endzone and then recovered it in the endzone? The announcer's really did not explain it. Was it because after we ran it out of the endzone and fumbled no clemson player touched it, so its a safety? That call really was confusing.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Change of possession on the interception. We stepped out of the endzone so we can no longer take the touchback. Fumbled it back into the endzone and it’s a safety.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
After the interception and bringing ball out of the end zone, it was "our ball" just as if we were on offense and pinned at the 2 yard line. So, just like if we were on offense and recovered our own fumble in end zone it would be safety. If they recovered, it would their TD.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain the safety call where we intercepted, fumbled the ball outside the endzone and then recovered it in the endzone? The announcer's really did not explain it. Was it because after we ran it out of the endzone and fumbled no clemson player touched it, so its a safety? That call really was confusing.
After the int, we became the offensive team. At that point, if we lose the ball in the endzone it's a safety. It would be the same if we intercepted in the endzone and tried to run it out and got tackled before getting out. Instead, we ran it out, then lost it back into the endzone. At that point, we would have to advance it out for it not to be a safety, it's too late to down it.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
My thought was that we lost possession, so recovering in the endzone was equivalent to a new possession and therefore a touchback and not a safety. Oh well, i hope next time we intercept in the endzone, we simple down the ball.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He may not have realized he was in the end-zone when he initially caught the ball. He took a couple of steps and was hit. It all happened very quickly. Our young DBs had their hands full last night, so they will get no criticism from me.

I'm sure I've seen a guy catch an int straddling the goalline but given the touchback. So technically they 'safetied' themselves. However, none of them tried to advance the ball the way we did. It was just a crazy, bang-bang, 2015-esque type of play.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Which was worse tho. Tevin running out the back of the end zone, Orwin kickoff safety, or own player knock the ball out of his teammates hand for a safety

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Which was worse tho. Tevin running out the back of the end zone, Orwin kickoff safety, or own player knock the ball out of his teammates hand for a safety
I don't remember Tevin running out the back of the end zone but I do remember Reggie doing it (against VT, I think?)...although I've tried to wipe the memory of that happening out of my memories.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
It's hard to see on the replays but Lance Austin definitely made the right decision trying to return his INT. His teammates just botched their roles...

When Austin catches the ball he only has one man to beat, WR Mike Williams. His brother sees the pick and takes a step upfield. That one step ruined the play. If he had just headed straight for a block on Williams, then Lance gets free, and it's off to the races. Instead, Corey Griffen stepped back to block and ends up stepping over Williams and accidentally colliding with Austin, which caused the fumble. If brother Austin had just immediately targeted the Clemson WR, then Griffen heads upfield to block D.Watson and we've got a pick-6.

slugboy

Staff member
Know this was rhetorical, but I'll go with Orwin's kickoff safety. The others I understood, but the kickoff safety seemed like the biggest brain cramp of all.

I was remembering Reggie stepping out of the end zone and the 4th down throwaway too.

It's hard to see on the replays but Lance Austin definitely made the right decision trying to return his INT. His teammates just botched their roles...

When Austin catches the ball he only has one man to beat, WR Mike Williams. His brother sees the pick and takes a step upfield. That one step ruined the play. If he had just headed straight for a block on Williams, then Lance gets free, and it's off to the races. Instead, Corey Griffen stepped back to block and ends up stepping over Williams and accidentally colliding with Austin, which caused the fumble. If brother Austin had just immediately targeted the Clemson WR, then Griffen heads upfield to block D.Watson and we've got a pick-6.
I think he'd have been lucky to get to the 10 yard line.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
My thought was that we lost possession, so recovering in the endzone was equivalent to a new possession and therefore a touchback and not a safety. Oh well, i hope next time we intercept in the endzone, we simple down the ball.

To lose possession the other team must gain possession of the ball. Int was change of possession because we had ball. A fumble is not change of possession , the fumble recovery is if other team recovers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk