Sad, but true - A GT Hoops Story

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I was a freshman, being a millionaire bag man was my goal in life, too. Now that I have reached half that goal, the bag man part is as far away as ever.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cal was interested when Cremins left. it was a pretty short conversation. His reps first question was how many academic exceptions would he get each year. That pretty much sealed any chance of anything happening.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At this point, a piece like this is just noise in a faraway place. If things don't change, it could get a lot closer. And, a lot louder.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it's interesting that these articles are all of a sudden appearing from atypical news sources. All of a sudden, there's a bit of hot take commentary on GT hoops and it'll be interesting to see if the administration ignores it (they will).

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's interesting that these articles are all of a sudden appearing from atypical news sources. All of a sudden, there's a bit of hot take commentary on GT hoops and it'll be interesting to see if the administration ignores it (they will).

Do you know who "Holmes" is? The article is on Channel 46's website, so I'm guessing this is a local sports guy? I've managed to totally ignore the local TV stations long enough that I have no idea who the anchors are.

Hot take, though.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you know who "Holmes" is? The article is on Channel 46's website, so I'm guessing this is a local sports guy? I've managed to totally ignore the local TV stations long enough that I have no idea who the anchors are.

Hot take, though.
He's apparently a 92.9 radio guy. Some of his numbers were kinda dicey. You can find both Matthews & Okogie as 3 stars somewhere, depending on what sources you use.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Irrespective of what he says, we need an infusion of talent to avoid a serious letdown next season. Hopefully we will get a couple more transfers in. It is scary right now. Of course, even with the talent on our current roster, we are experiencing a letdown. So, the question probably should be, "Letdown from what? 4-14?"

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He's apparently a 92.9 radio guy. Some of his numbers were kinda dicey. You can find both Matthews & Okogie as 3 stars somewhere, depending on what sources you use.

FWIW, I checked and Matthews and Okogie are 3 stars on both Scout and 247. To most, those are probably the most reputable of the national brands with ESPN right behind. If "Holmes" really wanted to source good information on recruiting stars, he should have contacted Justin Young... He is pretty well known in recruiting circles, and he is essentially in this guys backyard.

Hate to say it, but the numbers don't lie. To @orientalnc point, we are playing well enough to win many of these games, yet still losing...I shutter to think what next season might look like. Even if the AD is compelled to make a move at seasons end, who wants to step into that void? I think that is what is concerns me most...Do we get stuck in a perpetual loop of suckiness by not having enough resources to hire the right person.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I checked and Matthews and Okogie are 3 stars on both Scout and 247. To most, those are probably the most reputable of the national brands with ESPN right behind. If "Holmes" really wanted to source good information on recruiting stars, he should have contacted Justin Young... He is pretty well known in recruiting circles, and he is essentially in this guys backyard.

Hate to say it, but the numbers don't lie. To @orientalnc point, we are playing well enough to win many of these games, yet still losing...I shutter to think what next season might look like. Even if the AD is compelled to make a move at seasons end, who wants to step into that void? I think that is what is concerns me most...Do we get stuck in a perpetual loop of suckiness by not having enough resources to hire the right person.

Thanks.

Fwiw, Rivals has them both as 3* as well.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If you want a good laugh YouTube:

Hitler reacts to Georgia Tech not firing Brian Gregory.

I can't link it because it has some pretty strong language. But it's basically me at the end of last year. Hilarious stuff

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Hitler reacts to Georgia Tech not firing Brian Gregory

that Hitler video was the funniest thing I've seen in YEARS! when he said "I broke 3 remotes,etc" .I thought I would split a gut! That needs to be sent to the President for him to get a feel for how the "true few fans" are thinking.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Another sad thing about this program is the fact we've had 1 season over .500 in ACC play in 20 years! That was the 2004 season. Honestly besides 04's national title game run the program has been irrelevant since 1996. In 20 years we've been to the NCAA Tournament 5 times! 5 times in 20 years. 01,04,05,07,10. There's a hell of a lot more going on here than just the last 5 years with CBG. It's going to take the right hire and probably a few more seasons after we do to get this program back to what it should be. But it's been so long since its been a consistent year in and year out tournament team I personally wonder if we will ever get back to what it was in the late 80's early 90's. Face it, we are irrelevant! And the next coaching hire better be very well thought out and someone that can create a buzz quickly or we can kiss the hoops program goodbye.