Sad, but true - A GT Hoops Story

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

This was a national article by Associated Press. Can't argue with any of it. Some good closing remarks by Jay Bilas, but unfortunately, we're not wired in a way to make a commitment to uplift the program. Not the AD, not the Administration, nor the fans.

From the article:
Gregory shrugged off questions about his future, and Bilas said it's going to take more than a coaching change to turn things around.

"It's not just hiring a good young coach," Bilas said. "It requires a commitment to be really good by the entire institution. That means the administration. that means admissions, that means everything."

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
It is hard to argue with, but I'm not sure that Bilas' citing "admissions" is really part of the solution. With the APR rules, you really have to make sure that the student-athletes are capable of doing the work.

Now, maybe given the academic problems at the end of the Hewitt era, Gregory has been under a shorter leash to provide a margin of safety. If so, I would agree that there could be some loosening. However, with only 13 scholarships you really can't take too many academic risks.

Given the caliber of athletes that Gregory has recruited but not landed, I think GT could be successful recruiting the same pool if they could close on the prospects. The question in my mind is how much of the failure to close is Gregory, the current status of the program, the academic load, etc. I'll admit to being wired as somewhat of a pessimist, and at times I worry that too many of the current top level players simply don't see the benefit in managing the GT academic load and collegiate basketball at the same time. It's not only a different world than when Cremins was here, but it's different than in Hewitt's time as well.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with your commentary about academics and it's something we've talked about here and in football threads to no end, but I think Bilas was making a blanket statement that would apply to any school, reeling off areas that need to buy in. The point that rings loudly when you compile what he's saying is that we need a total commitment from everyone involved and it would appear there's no unified front.

Whether it's MBob waffling on being able to fire BG or the boosters not supporting (or being tapped out) or the administration not making sure hoops is a crown jewel of the college experience or us fans turning our backs on the program because of poor performance.

How often do we see people on these message boards screaming "LOOK AT ME! I'm not spending another dollar on GT hoops until things get better!" when that lack of financial support will only serve to exacerbate the problem?

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
How do 1 n done affect APR?

My understanding is that to earn full APR points, at the end of the semester the S-A needs to be eligible to compete in the following semester, and then needs to either return, graduate, or transfer. If a one-and-done BB S-A stays through the end of their second semester and would be eligible to compete the following year, and then leaves to pursue a professional career the NCAA can make a case-by-case adjustment so they receive full APR credit.

If they withdraw from school to prepare, they would not receive APR credit and the team's score would be dinged. If they don't take enough credit hours to be eligible the following year, they would not receive credit.

IIRC, Gregory pushed Glen Rice Jr. to remain in school through the end of the year, even though he was kicked off the team, so that he would get the APR credit.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Solomon Poole even left in good standing, to the benefit of both parties, despite his medical issue & subsequent dismissal.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
How do 1 n done affect APR?

Yeah, @BeeRBee explains it well. Bottom line as I understand it, as long as they leave in 'good standing' no harm no foul. What I don't recall is whether or not APR was initially written this way or UK and the like pressured the establishment of the loophole.

On the article, sigh, sad but true. What a painful story to read. :(

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Reading that story felt just like the knife being twisted over and over again...I think that most of us have been generally optimistic that better days are ahead, but this sort of made me pause and think about it for a second.

Just what will it take for us to pull out of the funk that has hovered over us for the past several years? What is needed for us to once again become a program that even resembles what we were in Coach Cremins glory days or 2004 & 2005 under Hewitt?

I remember thinking at the end of Hewitt's tenure that things couldn't get much worse, but I am beginning to second guess that as well.

Not so much the play on the court, the games have been competitive, but just the general lack of any excitement around the program.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with Bilas to a point. It all starts with the right coaching hire. The correct hire makes everyone else look smarter. Pearl at Auburn is a little behind where I thought he'd be but the fans are at least in the building. He is bringing in talent. Miss St is on the cusp (yeah, I'll beat that drum forever, financial constraints blah blah blah, if you win, you make money)

Now, that said we were probably effed whichever way we went when we hired BG. Martin can't coach a lick, Mooney was apparently hugely benefitted by a senior laden team the year he went dancing. I can't remember who else was on our radar then. No one that was likely IIRC.

At this point I wouldn't even go Dollar, I'd let him go as well. In my eyes he has failed. Herrion would be my choice in their interim. I see him always coaching guys. Dollar just looks good in a suit, never see him doing much but I am at the mercy of the broadcast on that.

I have also beat the drum of AAU ties in Atlanta being absolutely paramount and still believe that. Why we haven't tapped that market with a hire like EVERY successful program around the country does is beyond me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@Peacone36 I believe former Tulsa coach Dave Wocjik was the other choice IIRC. I think he's been fired twice since then. I still LOL at Richmond for that lifetime deal they gave Mooney. Results have been slightly less than stellar there.

Dollar hasn't delivered the way we expected. He was supposed to be our guy with heavy AAU-ties.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we can get kids in school if they are legit college level students. What we cannot do is hide them for several years. What hurts us is the sense that playing at GT does nothing for the kids that playing somewhere else doesn't do better. MGH is a great example of a kid from a metro school who came to GT and thrived. Both as a player and as a student. I doubt Marcus would sign with GT right now.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think we can get kids in school if they are legit college level students. What we cannot do is hide them for several years. What hurts us is the sense that playing at GT does nothing for the kids that playing somewhere else doesn't do better. MGH is a great example of a kid from a metro school who came to GT and thrived. Both as a player and as a student. I doubt Marcus would sign with GT right now.

We were def aided with that class by the selling of the "new regime" , "rebuild this once proud program" line we were able to dish out.

Hell, we couldn't even keep that class in tact all the way through, no way would they be here if they were 16 kids.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I look at it like this, if Calipari were here could he recruit at the level he does/has? I say the answer is a resounding 'yes'. Disclaimer: No, I'm not saying he would come here.

My point (weird as it sounded) is, better results are possible with the right hire and that the right hire can drive a lot of other things surrounding the program.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I look at it like this, if Calipari were here could he recruit at the level he does/has? I say the answer is a resounding 'yes'. Disclaimer: No, I'm not saying he would come here.

My point (weird as it sounded) is, better results are possible with the right hire and that the right hire can drive a lot of other things surrounding the program.
Ironically, there were rumors way back in the day Calipari was a candidate to replace Cremins.