Rule Discussion: Object thrown on court, Technical assessed

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think the refs did the right thing, particularly given who was involved.

With that out of the way, I've never seen a technical on the first instance of objects being thrown on the court. I've seen objects thrown on the court maybe a dozen times before, and every other time the crowd was issued a warning over the PA with a statement that included "next time will result in a technical."

Does anyone know if that was the first instance in the game? Is there a new rule or emphasis in enforcement that warrants an immediate technical?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think the refs did the right thing, particularly given who was involved.

With that out of the way, I've never seen a technical on the first instance of objects being thrown on the court. I've seen objects thrown on the court maybe a dozen times before, and every other time the crowd was issued a warning over the PA with a statement that included "next time will result in a technical."

Does anyone know if that was the first instance in the game? Is there a new rule or emphasis in enforcement that warrants an immediate technical?

I have no idea what the actual rule is but when did that ever stop me from commenting ...

I'd imagine it's at the ref's discretion. I can't imagine a scenario where they couldn't assess a T if something was thrown onto the court.

And didn't the object sorta hit a guy in this case? Probably an auto-T, if so.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea what the actual rule is but when did that ever stop me from commenting ...

I'd imagine it's at the ref's discretion. I can't imagine a scenario where they couldn't assess a T if something was thrown onto the court.

And didn't the object sorta hit a guy in this case? Probably an auto-T, if so.
As I understand (understood?) the rule, the main reason a T is not immediately assessed is because you can rarely prove which team's fan threw the object on the court. Maybe not the case last night? Even when it's pretty obvious, I've always seen a warning before a T. Particularly with .5 seconds left in a game, it's an odd time for that trend to be broken.

To your point, maybe it's always been the rule that a T is given, but I've never seen it enforced on the first occurrence.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
As I understand (understood?) the rule, the main reason a T is not immediately assessed is because you can rarely prove which team's fan threw the object on the court. Maybe not the case last night? Even when it's pretty obvious, I've always seen a warning before a T. Particularly with .5 seconds left in a game, it's an odd time for that trend to be broken.

To your point, maybe it's always been the rule that a T is given, but I've never seen it enforced on the first occurrence.

No, I'm not suggesting the rule is that a T must be assessed. I'm suggesting that the rule may be that it's at the ref's discretion. Usually, as you say, they err on the side of caution because of uncertainty of who actually threw it. But they probably have the right to assess a T if they want.

Could be that the SEC didn't want Mississippi State to be in danger on the bubble by losing to UGA, so the fix got called in.

That's a bold moov, Cotton.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
No, I'm not suggesting the rule is that a T must be assessed. I'm suggesting that the rule may be that it's at the ref's discretion. Usually, as you say, they err on the side of caution because of uncertainty of who actually threw it. But they probably have the right to assess a T if they want.
It wouldn't shock me if what you say is true, but I'd be surprised if the rules allow discretion over when to assess a technical for objects thrown on the court. Interpreting the scenario is about as black and white as it gets, unlike charge calls, flagrants, etc.

The whole point of the rule book is to say "if this happens, then this is the response". Not "hey, if the guy gets elbowed in the face, use your best judgment as whether it was warranted."

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
keep in mind that even without the technical Miss St still had another FT coming. They missed the first of 2. So they had a second as well as a technical.
They hit the technical first and then missed the 2nd of 2.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It wouldn't shock me if what you say is true, but I'd be surprised if the rules allow discretion over when to assess a technical for objects thrown on the court. Interpreting the scenario is about as black and white as it gets, unlike charge calls, flagrants, etc.

The whole point of the rule book is to say "if this happens, then this is the response". Not "hey, if the guy gets elbowed in the face, use your best judgment as whether it was warranted."

lol @ you thinking an NCAA rulebook-related issue is less confusing than it should be.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
lol @ you thinking an NCAA rulebook-related issue is less confusing than it should be.
Totally get that point of view. I'm just sayin', even with the flagrant 1 vs. flagrant 2 vs. common foul stuff, the rules attempt to remove ambiguity in interpretation. There is really no ambiguity as to whether something was thrown on the court, ever. Maybe random objects could fall from the ceiling? I don't know.

I'm guessing it's straight forward and it's a matter of enforcement. I'll do some digging unless someone knows before I get there.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
keep in mind that even without the technical Miss St still had another FT coming. They missed the first of 2. So they had a second as well as a technical.
They hit the technical first and then missed the 2nd of 2.
Yeah but that's not as fun as saying they won because of the technical. Either way he made 2nd FT. My thought was the 3rd miss was on purpose due to the time remaining on the clock.

Deleted member 2897

This reminds me of a few years ago when Georgia at home scored as time was about to expire in football, to take the lead over Tennessee. The Georgia players got penalties for excessive celebration as they were taunting Tennessee. Due to the penalty pulling the kickoff back, it gave Tennessee one hail mary chance to win the game, which they did. I love it when idiots shoot themselves in the foot.