Rule Changes

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I may be misremembering, but it seems to me that back in the old days commercials were aired only when there was a natural break in the action. Games were not delayed because of TV, and sometimes the ball got snapped before the commercials ended. There was no such thing as a TV time out.

I understand that they increase revenue, but they're just too many and long. There's a sweet spot there, but it's been exceeded IMO. Nut don't hold your breath for that to get fixed.
Part of the reason you get more commercial break is due to more scoring plays. Also there are far more passing plate in college football now than decades ago which means more incomplete passes and stopped clocks.

CJP’s run orientedGT teams game’s were generally significantly shorter than the average college game, especially the few years he had an adequate defense

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You’re not misremembering... this time. :)
I also remember weird cuts (cutting commercials short or joining the game in progress). Ahh the good ol days! :ROFLMAO:

I agree we’ll never put those worms back in the can...
Thanks for the affirmation I'm not reinventing my memory, and my apologies for calling you a nut. :oops:

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
There should be a “ common sense” limit on automatic TV timeouts. In the 90’s I lived in Kansas City and was a Chiefs ST holder. One game I was at went like this on successive plays at the end of the first half: Injured Player - tv timeout, 2 minute warning- tv time out, TD-tv time out, kickoff- tv timeout. It was 18 degrees that day.

The injured player tv timeouts are sometimes an excuse to get a commercial in and can be annoying, especially to those in the stands. At one GT game 2 years ago, the player was walking off the field when the clock guy walked onto the field and we were subjected to a 3+ minute wait.

There, my vent is over. Carry on.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Let’s put in place limits on commercials, maybe that’ll trigger a renegotiation (downward) of those new SEC and B1G contracts since the broadcasts are less valuable now. Win win!

In all seriousness I’m not against the proposed incomplete pass change because right now it’s a bit of an advantage for pass-happy teams, IMO.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If they want to reduce the length of time the games take, then shorten and reduce the number of tv commercials. Have time limits on how long the refs can review a call.
FPNI. But that would take common sense, which is in short supply with the governing body.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I actually like the rules changes. The running clock after 1st downs should have a great impact on shortening game length. The ban on consecutive timeouts is long overdue. The untimed penalties I don't think buys much, but I have no issue with the new rule.
Running clock is good, but it’s only necessary because of the excessive media timeouts. Games weren’t that long in the 90s.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
They could go to split screen with commercial on half the screen and football on the other half. Could charge more for the full screen time.

Advertisers aren't that stupid. They know that you won't be paying attention to them if the football is still playing. They are paying for your undivided attention. While I loathe sitting in the stadium through ever increasing TV timeouts, the simple fact is that the minor inconvenience on the part of the fan is what generates major revenue for the team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Advertisers aren't that stupid. They know that you won't be paying attention to them if the football is still playing. They are paying for your undivided attention. While I loathe sitting in the stadium through ever increasing TV timeouts, the simple fact is that the minor inconvenience on the part of the fan is what generates major revenue for the team.
Then run commercials during the ref reviews. No one like to watch a dumb ref stick his head inside a tv hood for several minutes. Problem is they are not planned.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Then run commercials during the ref reviews. No one like to watch a dumb ref stick his head inside a tv hood for several minutes. Problem is they are not planned.
They do!
I’ve watched games where they didn’t even show the play under review. Just a commercial break and then return to live action with the announcer saying, “while we were away...”

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
With regards to TV time outs, the old adage applies: "There is no such thing as a free lunch." If you want TV revenue, then you need commercials. The more commercials, the more revenue. Sure, it suck for the fans while they are sitting through it, but it's how the teams generate revenue in an ever important attempt to remain competitive with their peers.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
If they want to reduce the length of time the games take, then shorten and reduce the number of tv commercials. Have time limits on how long the refs can review a call.
They would rather shorten game time and increase commercials. All about advertising.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
With regards to TV time outs, the old adage applies: "There is no such thing as a free lunch." If you want TV revenue, then you need commercials. The more commercials, the more revenue. Sure, it suck for the fans while they are sitting through it, but it's how the teams generate revenue in an ever important attempt to remain competitive with their peers.
The law of supply and demand also applies though. Stop supplying so many commercial spots, and the amount you can charge for them goes up.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I would think that people who make millions in advertising have already figured out how many commercial interruptions per game are ideal.
But you got the network on the other side running the bill up. It’s all about the $$. Who’s going to give up part of their slice?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I would think that people who make millions in advertising have already figured out how many commercial interruptions per game are ideal.
Those people would rather just sell a block of nonstop commercials if they could get viewers to tune in. The reason there are discussions around shortening the game is because it's been jammed too full of commercials and takes too long, so people are no longer watching as much. A quick google search suggests commercials take up about an hour of a 3.5 hour broadcast for an NFL game, and I'd bet the numbers are similar for college. That is excessive.