Ross Statue

Should a statue of Bobby Ross be erected in Callaway Plaza?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
The three existing statutes don't represent coaches who won National Championships. That is only one attribute they each have in common. I believe those statues represent contributions to the Institute over many years including MULTIPLE nationally-recognized teams. While Ross did a great job and deserves recognition for the Natty, he was simply not at GT long enough to represent the same level of overall contribution as the three existing coaches/statutes... Simple answer is No - frankly it's not even close...

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm very thankful for Ross and believe he did GT a proper. I wish he had stayed longer, but what more can you expect than a Natty? Sure, it would have been nice if it wasn't one and done, but I'd take one and done every ten years over always in the wedding but never the groom. Unfortunately, we have been guests at the wedding typically.

All that for background, I care more about what a statue of Ross does for Tech going forward than how much it helps Ross's ego or personal history. You put up statues of famous coaches to remind the world of what The Institute did when that person was a coach more than (or at least as much as) to honor the coach.

Put up a dagum statue and let's write our own history!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The three existing statutes don't represent coaches who won National Championships. That is only one attribute they each have in common. I believe those statues represent contributions to the Institute over many years including MULTIPLE nationally-recognized teams. While Ross did a great job and deserves recognition for the Natty, he was simply not at GT long enough to represent the same level of overall contribution as the three existing coaches/statutes... Simple answer is No - frankly it's not even close...
That is precisely correct. Winning a national championship was just icing on the cake for those three illustrious coaches who built the Tech name, brand and reputation. They also each contributed major innovations to the college game.

slugboy

Staff member
Sorry for the temporary interruption, but if someone just rubs you the wrong way, the ignore button can make the site an easier place for both of you:
GTSwarm Ignore 2021-08-16 094010.png

(No offense meant, Northeast Stinger--you just had the post immediately before this one)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sorry for the temporary interruption, but if someone just rubs you the wrong way, the ignore button can make the site an easier place for both of you:
View attachment 11006
(No offense meant, Northeast Stinger--you just had the post immediately before this one)
Actually, using the ignore feature (or simply not allowing yourself to get drawn into a personal back and forth) makes this a better site for ALL of us. Please keep personal disputes to PM amongst appropriate parties if you feel obligated to get drawn into these kinds of discussions. Quite frankly there have been a few private spats that have crossed into several of these threads in the last week or so. They do not add much value to the type of discussion all of us hope and expect to get.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You’re really taking this hard.
I’m only taking it hard because Ross is the only coach in 69 years of GT football who has won a National Title. And yet we have GT fans who think he shouldn’t get a statute. It’s just bizzaro world. He’s the one coach we should be celebrating.

The fact he wasn’t here as long as some wanted - that’s a you problem not a his problem. He had a once in a lifetime opportunity to become an NFL head coach and he took it and proved his worth by getting the Chargers to the Super Bowl with Stan Humphries at QB. I’d argue he was the best football coach GT has ever had because he got it done in the modern era.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m only taking it hard because Ross is the only coach in 69 years of GT football who has won a National Title. And yet we have GT fans who think he shouldn’t get a statute. It’s just bizzaro world. He’s the one coach we should be celebrating.

The fact he wasn’t here as long as some wanted - that’s a you problem not a his problem. He had a once in a lifetime opportunity to become an NFL head coach and he took it and proved his worth by getting the Chargers to the Super Bowl with Stan Humphries at QB. I’d argue he was the best football coach GT has ever had because he got it done in the modern era.
Good post SOWEGA! Especially the modern era part. Winning a NATTY is one thing at factories, but it is most definitely a much much bigger accomplishment since the late sixties at GT. Doing so >>> his number of years here. Dodd was smarter than most (ask Bear), Johnson had his unique system (ask ugag), and Ross's contribution to CFB was working harder than most are capable of or willing to do.