Ross Statue

Should a statue of Bobby Ross be erected in Callaway Plaza?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
How I see things:

Dodd, Heisman, Alexander
Ross
Johnson, O'Leary
The rest
BL

Ross just doesn't have the same impact, he was only here 5 years. The biggest appeal to adding a statue for him is for marketing the program to recruits, and frankly that's a terrible reason to erect a statue of anyone.
Mods can we get a 24-hour ban for using HIS initials?

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
What planet are you from? Ross very well may have been the hardest working coach we have ever had. Luck? Ask Nebraska's defense with EIGHT NFL draftees on it in '90 if luck was involved in their Citrus Bowl spanking.
Well sure but just look at the records. He had one good year at Tech. Then he was gone. He was a good asset for a short period of time.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Well sure but just look at the records. He had one good year at Tech. Then he was gone. He was a good asset for a short period of time.
He had one good year. Is that what you call a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? A "good year"? What the hell does a guy gotta do before you call it a Great Year?

I'll go out on a limb and speculate you were not around at the time.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ross got really lucky, let's be honest. Paul Johnson had a far more important and overall successful stint than Ross.
Are you kidding me. I loved the option until it turned into the QB keep offense but Johnson can not sniff Ross’s jockstrap. Bobby Ross made Maryland legit. Not Penn State, but Maryland. Then he created the best GT team in the modern era and we’ve never reached that level since. And Ross actually improved all phases of the GT program from offense to defense to special teams to a coaching staff to recruiting. He improved all of them. He did not improve one or two and let the others wither. He did not whine to the press about refs or scheduling. And you know why - because he took no short cuts and built an overall program so he didn’t go into a fight expecting to lose. And his assistants went on to have successful careers. And then he took the San Diego Chargers to their only Super Bowl. Meanwhile Johnson came here for a retirement and mailed it in by keeping his boy Sewak on the payroll until the end. If anyone got luckey it was Johnson with his Orange Bowl. That was lucky. What Ross did was built.

Not sure about a statue, but Ross took the job and turned a miserable football program into relevant one! I might say that he saved GT football from oblivion.
Ok, so let's adjust history a bit. I 1985 Tech was a great Team at 9-2-1. In 86 they screwed up at Wake and UGA and ended up 5-5-1. they had a very good O line and Jerry Mays. Mays get hurt in Fall Camp and Ross struggles on offense as he has no QB. We go into 88 with the same issues with Mays returning to form. We did beat 6 ranked South Carolina. The nucleus of what he took over becomes 89 and 90. So we were not miserable at all at that point Ross took over.

Are you kidding me. I loved the option until it turned into the QB keep offense but Johnson can not sniff Ross’s jockstrap. Bobby Ross made Maryland legit. Not Penn State, but Maryland. Then he created the best GT team in the modern era and we’ve never reached that level since. And Ross actually improved all phases of the GT program from offense to defense to special teams to a coaching staff to recruiting. He improved all of them. He did not improve one or two and let the others wither. He did not whine to the press about refs or scheduling. And you know why - because he took no short cuts and built an overall program so he didn’t go into a fight expecting to lose. And his assistants went on to have successful careers. And then he took the San Diego Chargers to their only Super Bowl. Meanwhile Johnson came here for a retirement and mailed it in by keeping his boy Sewak on the payroll until the end. If anyone got luckey it was Johnson with his Orange Bowl. That was lucky. What Ross did was built.
Ok, more history. Ross was here 5 years and his last was a good team, not a great team. CPJ took us to multiple ACC championship games and Orange Bowls. Ross did not have to play, Miami, Fla State etc. We had the ball bounce the right way in 1990 and did have a great team. But nothing was really built as we know with the 3 years after.

And CPJ had 2 National Championships coming here and made Navy legit. He did not come here to retire, he came here to prove something and he did. Why don't you just recognize what they both did for Tech and let it be.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, more history. Ross was here 5 years and his last was a good team, not a great team. CPJ took us to multiple ACC championship games and Orange Bowls. Ross did not have to play, Miami, Fla State etc. We had the ball bounce the right way in 1990 and did have a great team. But nothing was really built as we know with the 3 years after.

And CPJ had 2 National Championships coming here and made Navy legit. He did not come here to retire, he came here to prove something and he did. Why don't you just recognize what they both did for Tech and let it be.
LOL

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You’re really taking this hard.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Oof. Shots fired. Nothing stings harder than a good Sewak Jab.