Roll Call (and tailgating?) for Saturday

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am coming from North Carolina for the game. I usually only wear the mask when going inside a business and take it off while outside and walking to or from the car. What's the procedure in Atlanta. Will wear it at the stadium.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
So, what is the Bobby Dodd footprint? Is 5th St. bridge included?
FYI, I contacted the GT ticket office, and they said the bridge is considered on-campus. Therefore, no tailgating there.

I am disappointed in the way this was handled. I wonder when this decision was made and why they waited till after season ticket holders had selected seats before they made the announcement. It may have been coincidental. They could have said something on ramblinwreck.com about a decision being forthcoming, instead of stating that tailgating would be allowed.

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
Is the ChickfilA open in the Student Center on Saturday afternoons? Is the cafeteria in the Student Center open?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
FYI, I contacted the GT ticket office, and they said the bridge is considered on-campus. Therefore, no tailgating there.

I am disappointed in the way this was handled. I wonder when this decision was made and why they waited till after season ticket holders had selected seats before they made the announcement. It may have been coincidental. They could have said something on ramblinwreck.com about a decision being forthcoming, instead of stating that tailgating would be allowed.

The original statement on ramblinwreck.com didn't really say tailgating would be allowed, it just said that "Social-distancing guidelines apply to institute-controlled parking areas around the stadium." The City of Atlanta which surrounds the campus is on a 10 person maximum gathering size restriction. This announcement was made on 9/15 and it specifically says "NO ON-CAMPUS TAILGATING FOR HOME OPENER". It is just an assumption, but I assume they will continue to monitor and either change or not change the policies depending on the COVID situation and the restrictions in the City of Atlanta.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
The original statement on ramblinwreck.com didn't really say tailgating would be allowed, it just said that "Social-distancing guidelines apply to institute-controlled parking areas around the stadium." The City of Atlanta which surrounds the campus is on a 10 person maximum gathering size restriction. This announcement was made on 9/15 and it specifically says "NO ON-CAMPUS TAILGATING FOR HOME OPENER". It is just an assumption, but I assume they will continue to monitor and either change or not change the policies depending on the COVID situation and the restrictions in the City of Atlanta.

It seems like they're just monitoring unlike some schools that completely banned it for the season because their school had an explosion of COVID cases (cough mutts cough). Georgia Tech got ramblin wrecked the first week and made it to national news with the COVID outbreak at a fraternity but now the situation seems to be largely under control on campus. If we can keep doing a good job for the next month, im sure we'll have a good shot at tailgating for the next home game!

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Stansbury spoke to the press today. He said that one of the factors was that after the campus outbreak, there had been restrictions on social gatherings by Greeks on campus. So it'd set a bad example to allow tailgating while that was still banned. That makes sense.

Glad they are leaving the door open for other games, but seems to be something more in the hand of campus or state rather than GTAA.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like Stansbury spoke to the press today. He said that one of the factors was that after the campus outbreak, there had been restrictions on social gatherings by Greeks on campus. So it'd set a bad example to allow tailgating while that was still banned. That makes sense.

Glad they are leaving the door open for other games, but seems to be something more in the hand of campus or state rather than GTAA.
I don’t really see how they could allow tailgating with Atlanta’s restrictions anyway.

Actually that was hinted at a couple of months ago. I figured it would become official sooner or later.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I was reading too much into it, but the ramblinwreck.com link that I put on the first page of this thread (which was updated/changed yesterday to the current verbiage) mentioned everything about social-distancing, etc being followed under a “Tailgating” heading. Oh well, at least we can attend games (unlike season ticket holders for that unnamed pro team down the street).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I was reading too much into it, but the ramblinwreck.com link that I put on the first page of this thread (which was updated/changed yesterday to the current verbiage) mentioned everything about social-distancing, etc being followed under a “Tailgating” heading. Oh well, at least we can attend games (unlike season ticket holders for that unnamed pro team down the street).

Here is what it originally said about tailgating:
TAILGATING

Social-distancing guidelines apply to institute-controlled parking areas around the stadium.

Additional hand-washing and hand-sanitizing stations will be added throughout Institute-controlled lots to encourage and increase opportunities for fans to disinfect during pregame and postgame activities.

Fans are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings at all times on Georgia Tech campus, beginning with when they leave their vehicles.

I didn't take that to mean that tailgating would be allowed. Only that to mean that any tailgating would have to follow the current social-distancing guidelines, whatever those are. Apparently at the moment, the guidelines are too strict for any tailgating. I think it is a positive for those who want to tailgate that they haven't made announcements about the rest of the season. They are leaving things open to allow tailgating if the on-campus and city guidelines are loosened.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
There are only 2 of us who are coming (less than the ATL guidance for 10 or more). My buddy is a great griller and really wants to tailgate. Does anyone have any suggestions about where we could go (off campus, of course)? A private lot , park , etc.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are only 2 of us who are coming (less than the ATL guidance for 10 or more). My buddy is a great griller and really wants to tailgate. Does anyone have any suggestions about where we could go (off campus, of course)? A private lot , park , etc.
Bring a grill in the flatbed of a pickup truck. Grill in the bed and sit on the rails. It just says you have to go from your car to the stadium. If you're still in the truck, then you should be good to go.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the Varsity Lot.... close to the tunnel?

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Cook on the way:
Manifold Destiny small.jpg

Technically that would be cooking in the car.