Roddy on the ACC race

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
http://www.theacc.com/video/55c2157ce4b0171b0e690bba

Talks FSU then Clemson, ... then GT

"Ton of talent on defense so they've got to be better. Justin Thomas on Offense makes that thing run."
... need to find the supporting cast for JT

... "defense is the question (the offense never is)" ... "Defense is set up so that they can be one of the premiere defenses in the ACC and maybe even the country." ... talent coming back and experience, maybe depth is a an issue

picks Clemson over GT in Charlotte

AE 87: If GT's D is close to one of the best in the ACC than I'll be surprised if we get beat (assuming JT stays healthy) One of the best D's in the ACC would give us pts/drive vs power5 D of ~1.7 ppd allowed. We should have an Oppd vs pwr 5 of >3 (last year we were > 3.5). A differential of > 1.1 would put us in top 5 mostrecent years, iirc.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Take notice fellow Swarmers, you are witnessing the beginning of an illustrious career for Roddy in this business. He may end up as big as the next Herbsrteet. He already sounds soooo much more polished than Pollack and Mr. "Third and California" Jesse Palmer on the ESPN prime crew right now. He won't last long at Raycom.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Kind of a bummer to have him pick Clemson above us, but his logic was at least well presented.

Having said that, let's prove him wrong! :happy:
As someone already intimated, I think he almost had to pick anyone but Tech. He is the new guy and he is going to kind of be on trial for awhile for his commentary. If he picked Tech right off the bat it would look like homerism. Give him a couple of years and give Tech a couple more winning seasons and he can pick Tech in perpetuity with impunity. (y)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Take notice fellow Swarmers, you are witnessing the beginning of an illustrious career for Roddy in this business. He may end up as big as the next Herbsrteet. He already sounds soooo much more polished than Pollack and Mr. "Third and California" Jesse Palmer on the ESPN prime crew right now. He won't last long at Raycom.

I really, really enjoy Kirk Herbstreet. That is high praise indeed for Mr. Jones ( who,btw, I also believe has that kind of potential.) What's more, Roddy's best work as a player and broadcaster have both occurred in Athens, Ga. The 215 yards and the "What a kick,,, what a kick!!!!!" remarks make him immediate GT HOF material.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I like not being picked first. Gives coaches more material to keep things in perspective. Always motivating to have something to prove. Especially when you have competitive mind set our young men have.

Also we play Clemson in their house. It won't be easy, as it won't be easy in South Bend or Miami. Proof of the pudding is on the grid iron.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Thanks for the link, great to see Roddy being put to work already over at the ACC. He looks very comfortable.

Still, I'd be lying if I say I won't miss seeing Roddy with a GT polo shirt on.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well have to see how it plays out. As Nuke points out, injuries can make a big difference. To quote many a coach "play one game at a time". Just need to win one game a week to keep everyone happy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As someone already intimated, I think he almost had to pick anyone but Tech. He is the new guy and he is going to kind of be on trial for awhile for his commentary. If he picked Tech right off the bat it would look like homerism. Give him a couple of years and give Tech a couple more winning seasons and he can pick Tech in perpetuity with impunity. (y)
Who is this Impunity guy you're talking about? But really, he sounded a lot more confident and organized than I had heard him before. Very laid back kind of discussion. It works for him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Roddy Jones is an example that you don't need a "Journalism" or whatever degree not available at GT to become a Sports Broadcaster. You just need want to and the willingness to sacrifice at the beginning. That goes for pretty much any job out there.

Good on RJ for finding his passion at GT, working non-glamourous jobs at the beginning, and leveraging opportunities to bigger and bigger gigs. Hopefully the staff highlights this to recruits who want to get into Sports Broadcasting.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Roddy Jones is an example that you don't need a "Journalism" or whatever degree not available at GT to become a Sports Broadcaster. You just need want to and the willingness to sacrifice at the beginning. That goes for pretty much any job out there.

Good on RJ for finding his passion at GT, working non-glamourous jobs at the beginning, and leveraging opportunities to bigger and bigger gigs. Hopefully the staff highlights this to recruits who want to get into Sports Broadcasting.
It's just too bad that Craig James is a member in good standing. From being paid at SMU (but "nothing substantial," is the way I think he blew it off) to whining about his son's playing time and treatment at Texas Tech, and eventually getting Leach fired, he's still standing, more or less. The sad thing for his son is how much better off he would have been if daddy had made him stand on his own feet.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
On paper today, I think Clemson would be favored. But there is a bit of football to play till then. And a few injuries and a few surprise players.
We have always had trouble scoring big on several teams: VT and Clenson being two. Their defense will always keep them in the game. Unless it is WVU in an Orange bowl:)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We have always had trouble scoring big on several teams: VT and Clenson being two. Their defense will always keep them in the game. Unless it is WVU in an Orange bowl:)
Their DC at the time, with the great football name of Steele, just signed a big contract with LSU. Perhaps their offense is more conducive to his defense, because at Clemson that fast pace of Morris drove him out of his mind and he tried to get it changed. Fat chance, and the WVU game is not what cost him his job, rather his rejection of the idea that a coaching staff was a team and the head ball coach ruled.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
???
Since '08 we scored : 21, 30,39,13,31,31,31,& 28
Can't argue with the points, except the last of course, when we "scored" 14. But every time I look at a schedule, there are two games mentally circled as being a hard slog offensively: VT and Clemson. And when we are hitting 38, 38, 42, 27, 28, 25, 43, 56, 35, 56, 35, 49 .... then the 27 and 28 look a bit different.