Rocket Toss Observation

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
There's no narrative. It was a simple (and correct) statement about one team on our schedule--Va Tech. That has been extrapolated by others to include the entire schedule. This is not hard to digest. If we beat them, and I want us to, and I think we might be able to, it will still not be comparable to beating them in 2009. It will be great, but it won't be a "great win".

I disagree for this team and with our history it would be a great win. It would set the tone for the year and position us for the Coastal.

As much as I'm not a fan of PJ's offense, I have to admit that it will work if everyone makes their blocking assignments. We've been cursed with half-*** blocking a lot lately.
This entire conversation began with the OP saying it HAS worked well, just not lately. And asking why not. Blocking is definitely a factor, I think Vad's lack of option technique has had an impact. Our lack of a passing threat has been an impact, and opponents' defenses adjusting to our successes has been a factor. The lack of the big body WR ala Demaryius Thomas hasn't helped. When it is run properly it has at times appeared to be almost unstoppable. It would be a quantum leap for this offense if when a DC decides to sell out to stop the rocket toss, we had a credible passing threat to burn them and back them out of the box. Hopefully that will be there this fall.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as I'm not a fan of PJ's offense, I have to admit that it will work if everyone makes their blocking assignments. We've been cursed with half-*** blocking a lot lately.

The seal block the Aback makes when we go outside is critical, and lately been hit or miss (pun intended) for us. Which is why CPJ says the best blockers are the ones that see the field. If you can't get that safety or LB on the ground or at least hold him up for a second or two there is no reason to even try to run a pitch.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The seal block the Aback makes when we go outside is critical, and lately been hit or miss (pun intended) for us. Which is why CPJ says the best blockers are the ones that see the field. If you can't get that safety or LB on the ground or at least hold him up for a second or two there is no reason to even try to run a pitch.

We have also had a rash of pitch plays whereby the AB runner runs over the blocker/blockee and neither cuts inside or outside of the attempted block and we wind up with 3 on the ground for a 2 yard gain. One RS senior AB in particular made this a bad habit in 2013. Goodhigh helped the blocker by threatening the outside and then cutting sharp inside or dipping inside and then bouncing it around the end. The runner can/should do a lot to help set up the block. Thats part of the "seeing the field" issue.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
There's no narrative. It was a simple (and correct) statement about one team on our schedule--Va Tech. That has been extrapolated by others to include the entire schedule. This is not hard to digest. If we beat them, and I want us to, and I think we might be able to, it will still not be comparable to beating them in 2009. It will be great, but it won't be a "great win".

It's not a simple (and correct) statement. You're giving your opinion and trying to pass it off as a fact. The only fact is that you have no idea what is going to happen this season. None of us do. VT could win 10+ games this year. And if they lose to us but end up with double digit wins it doesn't count as one of those specious "great wins" because they didn't win that many the last two years? Frankly, that's idiotic. I'm sure before last season began no one thought beating Auburn would be a "great win" because they only won three games the year before. Oops. Moral of the story: let's wait until the season gets rolling before we decide what will or won't be a "great win."

I'm not sure what you're talking about extrapolating to the entire schedule. I don't think I'm doing that.

As for the narrative part there isn't one yet but a post like this really seems like you are setting one up for later. The posters, who some would call glass half-empty folk, do this all the time. They overstate the bad and try to diminish the good. It sounds like you are doing that with your last sentence. For example, CPJ's record against VT is thrown around all the time. If we win that game you know people will come out of the woodwork saying exactly what you said above. The accomplishment is being diminished before it even has a chance to happen. (Note: I hope this paragraph makes sense. Writing it on the run and don't have time to proofread.)