Robert Godhigh - The Cutback

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
So many times our A-backs try to stop and change direction on the outside when they see a defender waiting for them. Seeing Robbie put a move on a defender as he kept his momentum is refreshing.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Godhigh was awesome, but imagine he was 6" taller with more breakaway speed and that's what a guy like Demetris Robertson could bring to the position. It always makes me laugh a little bit when people talk about how no ABs have a shot at the NFL...if a guy is NFL material he would be an absolute stud at AB. So many opportunities for big highlight plays, both running and receiving. That game there was the perfect example of the huge impact an AB can have in all facets of the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So many times our A-backs try to stop and change direction on the outside when they see a defender waiting for them. Seeing Robbie put a move on a defender as he kept his momentum is refreshing.
Interesting observation. I wonder what the factors are in a player being able to run like Godhigh did in that film as opposed to the players who seem to just keep running toward the sideline or who seem to run right into the tackle rather than cutting while moving. Is it just that some players have more natural instincts as a runner at this point in their careers or is it that the offense presents some interesting broken field dynamics that they are not used to seeing? It certainly seemed to me like by the time we got to the Orange Bowl with the 2014 team, virtually every A-back had learned how to read the holes on wide plays. Last year seemed like almost all the backs did not know how to do that. Searcy would be one of the notable exceptions to that last year in my memory.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting observation. I wonder what the factors are in a player being able to run like Godhigh did in that film as opposed to the players who seem to just keep running toward the sideline or who seem to run right into the tackle rather than cutting while moving. Is it just that some players have more natural instincts as a runner at this point in their careers or is it that the offense presents some interesting broken field dynamics that they are not used to seeing? It certainly seemed to me like by the time we got to the Orange Bowl with the 2014 team, virtually every A-back had learned how to read the holes on wide plays. Last year seemed like almost all the backs did not know how to do that. Searcy would be one of the notable exceptions to that last year in my memory.
I think it's natural instincts. That's why there are only so many star running backs and many of them aren't even the fastest. They see the field, anticipate, and cut. They follow blocks before they happen. It's as if the game slows down for them. Not many have it, but I'm optimistic that some of our younger players do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I still believe he could have played in the pros if he had been given a chance. The guy just flat showed up on game day. He did not have great top end speed but he was the quickest back we have ever had when it came to seeing where the weak point was developing in the defense as the play unfolded.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
He was good. Needed elite speed and he woulda been like Sproles.

The best part with him is he could block and catch. Woulda loved to seen him with jet and laskey in the backfield. He was world class shifty but just so so in top end speed. But he could play i think i agree the best AB to date based on his overall game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Scary thing about the AB position is we still haven't had the "perfect" AB, yet some of them have been ultra productive anyhow. Godhigh is a great example: always the smallest guy on the field, didn't have the fastest 40 time, but he was ultra productive because his strengths were perfect for the AB position (quick in short spaces, great blocker, great in the passing game). And Godhigh was fearless. Can't remember how many times a 5'6 Godhigh would submarine a 6'2 250lb linebacker without hesitation.

Just my opinion...but I still think AB could be one of the most exciting positions in all of football.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Scary thing about the AB position is we still haven't had the "perfect" AB, yet some of them have been ultra productive anyhow. Godhigh is a great example: always the smallest guy on the field, didn't have the fastest 40 time, but he was ultra productive because his strengths were perfect for the AB position (quick in short spaces, great blocker, great in the passing game). And Godhigh was fearless. Can't remember how many times a 5'6 Godhigh would submarine a 6'2 250lb linebacker without hesitation.

Just my opinion...but I still think AB could be one of the most exciting positions in all of football.
Good thought to share.

And as I reflect it occurs to me that we might say something similar about WR and B-back. Not that we haven't come pretty close to the perfect B-back and the prefect WR. Dwyer at B-back was pretty near perfect and Thomas and Smelter certainly would be hard to improve on at WR. But you got me thinking. A-back, B-back and WR are all positions that can really highlight a player's skill sets if you get the right person in the position. If we were to finally get the perfect A-back and couple that with the best WRs and B-back we have had in the past, the offense would put up basketball scores.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Good thought to share.

And as I reflect it occurs to me that we might say something similar about WR and B-back. Not that we haven't come pretty close to the perfect B-back and the prefect WR. Dwyer at B-back was pretty near perfect and Thomas and Smelter certainly would be hard to improve on at WR. But you got me thinking. A-back, B-back and WR are all positions that can really highlight a player's skill sets if you get the right person in the position. If we were to finally get the perfect A-back and couple that with the best WRs and B-back we have had in the past, the offense would put up basketball scores.
Combine that with a Cam Newton type at QB.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Godhigh was another guy with that innate ability to avoid punishment. I guess it's vision or instincts, but defenders rarely got a square lick on him. This ability kind of rendered his small frame a moot point. The only knock on him was his lack of blazing speed, but he wasn't slow by any means. Best all around Aback to date. I'd take another RG in a heartbeat.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good thought to share.

Would be exciting to see our offense with the "ideal" players at each position all at one time. There's a chance over the next few years with the skill guys we've signed, and adding a QB like Lucas Johnson. There's no out and out stud at WR like Calvin or Demaryius, but some of the WRs have a great skillset and could be great by the time it's all said and done. ABs are LOADED, and the guys we have on the roster are more athletic with a more diverse skillset than anything we've had in the past. I don't think there's a Dwyer in the BB group, but I have a feeling someone with the production of Anthony Allen can come out of there...if not one, then by committee.

QB will be interesting. Looking forward to seeing the guys not named JeT mature and see what they have. Not going to lie, I'm excited about seeing how Lucas Johnson fits into the big puzzle. Gotta salivate at his size, ability to run, and polished passing game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not going to lie, I'm excited about seeing how Lucas Johnson fits into the big puzzle. Gotta salivate at his size, ability to run, and polished passing game.
Sounds a lot like Vad. The big difference is his experience with the option in hs. I'm sure he was told in no uncertain terms we are a run first team so we should expect no blow back from not passing so much like we did with Vad.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sounds a lot like Vad. The big difference is his experience with the option in hs. I'm sure he was told in no uncertain terms we are a run first team so we should expect no blow back from not passing so much like we did with Vad.

I don't think CPJ did anything questionable with Vad's recruitment. Even Vad said CPJ always told him the "triple option" had to be perfected. IMO, there was just a disconnect in CPJ selling our passing game, and Vad wanting to hear that we will pass. I also think CPJ never really had the personnel to do what he envisioned with Vad...it's hard to execute our basic option plays when they were getting blown up due to poor blocking. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you hope they would.

With LJ, I'm quite certain CPJ let him know in no uncertain terms that he better just think about the option running game, and when the team has perfected that, he'll expand the passing game around LJ's ability. Something tells me CPJ is BURNING to unleash his complete offense...something he was close to doing in 2014.