Robert Godhigh - The Cutback

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Navy wr looked like skinny tight ends ( yes I know they were seniors)
They often both shifted in tight - right next to ab. They would down block or seal lb and were big enough to not get steam rolled. Plus they were big enough to get away w legal holding.
Would love to see big ab/ wr package on one side and speed package on other on other side. I think we are getting bigger at wr.
What a fun offense when we are tough up the middle. Bring on 16!
I think you missed the part where having a "big" side on one side and a "speed" side on the other is not much advantage to us when we don't know the direction of the play in the huddle.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That's why you get a "big" who can still run.

Not sure what Marcus Wright did to get "the treatment" from CPJ, but dude was a good blocker for his size. Goes to show, you don't have to be big to be an effective blocker at AB. Roddy Jones, all 5'9 of him, was probably the best and most consistent blocker at the AB spot. Someone once asked about Orwin Smith's career at GT, and CPJ said that Orwin had the benefit of having to play with Roddy Jones who led the blocks on his runs.

As for the "Big" ABs, Charles Perkins and Anthony Allen were great examples of big ABs who provided the defense tenderizing runs. Loved watching them turn the corner and running through DBs and LBs. Goes to show how this offense can be tailored to personnel, and how you can shine at the position no matter the skillset or size.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think you missed the part where having a "big" side on one side and a "speed" side on the other is not much advantage to us when we don't know the direction of the play in the huddle.
Perhaps we could shift into a formation that u agree is valid. Looking at wr recruit this year we are definitely getting bigger

I am a firm believer would like for you to consider the advantage of having personnel packages that are very well trained to run a set of plays.
This does limit the play selection.

Please consider please watch the replay of baylor bowl game. As u know I support gt and baylor football. Also my son is high school coach near there. The following is info from him: by the end of season the air raid offense was crippled since the first, second, and third string quarterbacks were injured. In 12 secret practices, art bryles put in a run first pass second offense using 4-5 player specific set packages. Each package of (non OL ) players ran a limited set of well practiced plays. They used several run wr types as qb to really exploit any defenses that came up in two deep. on certain plays the wr/qb was looking for a blown coverage for a pass. Yes a number of times the plays were stuffed.

However even though there were limited plays to be called, the kids would run their plays very well which often made for big gains. Then before the defense could adjust another package was brought in.

In 12 practices Baylor converted to a run offense. They handily won thier bowl game by Rushing for over 700 yds.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, for sure. Pretty interesting running the toss to the weak side. I didn't see who got the big block but it was an Aback to decleated somebody. Again, it didn't happen in '15.
That play worked because Curry, their stud MLB, ran himself out of the play by shooting the gap instead of going wide. When he got through the gap there was nobody there, lol. Unfortuanately, MLB's know better now. Defenses have evolved and I know that's not a popular theory around here or with CPJ.

I just relooked at it and the playside Aback, Marcus Wright, made a really nice block on the corner and our playside wr (#8) took out the safety clearing the way for Lucas. So everything went right and we scored handily.

Unfortunately, we rarely had all aspects of our O working on any given play last season.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Watching the 2013 dites on how to defend the spread option shows techiques we seldom saw in 15. Stay in position and guard your spot has been changed. Now its make gt make the pitch sooner than they want. Do that by being in the gt backfield by taking chances.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Every time I think of Godhigh and Laskey it reminds me that the star system has faultlines everywhere, and that coaches who can find those faultlines and stand up to popular opinion, much of it sad to say coming from message boards, can pluck out some of those unheralded 2-star recruits and grow them to 4 or 5-star players before they leave campus, while many of the 4s and 5s out of HS spend their eligibility on special teams and practice teams. I remember a book about Sandy Koufax, who became arguably one of the great pitchers ever, but who rode the bench his first few years despite an occasional gem when he was allowed to pitch. The former Dodgers' GM at the time said of the manager, Walter Alston, "Walter did not have much scout in him." Some of those GT coaches have a lot of scout in them for sure.
Yep, just think about Conklin at Michigan State, or Wentz at SDS or Lynch at Memphis - all of these (plus many more) are going to be drafted into the NFL. None of these guys were even 3 stars coming out of HS. Conklin was a walk-on. Lynch late offer by Memphis. These three are probably first round picks (Conklin and Wentz for sure). Star system just gets it wrong many times, and then sometimes it is right. Godhigh showed it was wrong.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yep, just think about Conklin at Michigan State, or Wentz at SDS or Lynch at Memphis - all of these (plus many more) are going to be drafted into the NFL. None of these guys were even 3 stars coming out of HS. Conklin was a walk-on. Lynch late offer by Memphis. These three are probably first round picks (Conklin and Wentz for sure). Star system just gets it wrong many times, and then sometimes it is right. Godhigh showed it was wrong.
I didn't know about those guys. Some grow beyond HS, some not so much.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is one of the reasons I hate it when people simply go on star rankings. I accept the argument that the rating services have a statistically good record of picking out talent. But I wish people would also accept the counter argument that when the services are wrong, which they are regularly, it means someone else (a coach or coaching staff) did a much better job evaluating the talent than they did.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is one of the reasons I hate it when people simply go on star rankings. I accept the argument that the rating services have a statistically good record of picking out talent. But I wish people would also accept the counter argument that when the services are wrong, which they are regularly, it means someone else (a coach or coaching staff) did a much better job evaluating the talent than they did.
The guy from Mississippi whose name I can't spell, the DT who fell out of a window high on dope in Atlanta, was a four-star. He now has thrown a teammate under the bus by saying he was also with him and intimated the drugs were actually his. So much for star ratings.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The guy from Mississippi whose name I can't spell, the DT who fell out of a window high on dope in Atlanta, was a four-star. He now has thrown a teammate under the bus by saying he was also with him and intimated the drugs were actually his. So much for star ratings.
Tragic.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Nkemdiche was actually a composite 5 star #1 overall player in his class but yea he's really making some dumb*** decisions

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nkemdiche was actually a composite 5 star #1 overall player in his class but yea he's really making some dumb*** decisions
His mother flipping him out of Clemson was Swinney's lucky day. Of course Mississippi got yet another from Clemson by way of a junior college, Jim Kelly's nephew who was summarily dismissed by Swinney over some shenanigans involving honesty.