Robert Carter to transfer

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I can not understand this decision... Robert gets more attention here in Atl and the entire offense would be running through him next year. He has already put in two years in the program and all indications are that he is not struggling academically... but yet he still wants to leave.

There has got to be more to this story.

I keep coming back to this stat: 8 transfers/suspension in 3 years under gregory. That is either damning to the man as a coach and the atmosphere he is creating, or damning to the type of recruits we are getting. GT basketball will have a UGA foxesque season next year... single digit wins, fan attendance at stegmen levels and in the end I can only hope that MBOB reboots this program.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gregory needs Jaylen Brown if he wants to keep his job. He also needs to get my boys Malik and Kobi!!
You're 100% correct. If you have a reason why they should want to go to GT, I'd love to hear it.

If I'm honest with myself and I say this with a lot of love for Georgia Tech basketball, all 3 have better options. I'll tell any kid they should go to VCU over us right now (Malik) and Big Blue Nation is calling the other two. Why would you choose GT?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
You're 100% correct. If you have a reason why they should want to go to GT, I'd love to hear it.

If I'm honest with myself and I say this with a lot of love for Georgia Tech basketball, all 3 have better options. I'll tell any kid they should go to VCU over us right now (Malik) and Big Blue Nation is calling the other two. Why would you choose GT?
I would choose GT just because I have always liked them, but that is not the case with all of the recruits. I think Kobi has Kentucky on his mind and Kentucky only, Malik is a wildcard but I don't think he is coming here. I'm not friends with Jaylen so I couldn't tell you where he stands. The guy who is a beast and we have the best chance is Marcus Sheffield! He is a baller, but I held him to 9 points!! Still a beast though.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
There is just no way to explain away the damage this has done to GT basketball. There is no way to sugarcoat it. It is hard to argue with the post of dtm at 10:25.
As much as I would like to tell him he is dead wrong, I just cannot get the words to come out. Damn!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is just no way to explain away the damage this has done to GT basketball. There is no way to sugarcoat it. It is hard to argue with the post of dtm at 10:25.
As much as I would like to tell him he is dead wrong, I just cannot get the words to come out. Damn!
I truly wish you could tell me I was dead wrong. Unfortunately, the Paul Hewitt experience taught me to face reality and not be an apologist, which I was for many years.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would choose GT just because I have always liked them, but that is not the case with all of the recruits. I think Kobi has Kentucky on his mind and Kentucky only, Malik is a wildcard but I don't think he is coming here. I'm not friends with Jaylen so I couldn't tell you where he stands. The guy who is a beast and we have the best chance is Marcus Sheffield! He is a baller, but I held him to 9 points!! Still a beast though.
The irony of Marcus Sheffield! I personally don't know a thing, but my impression is that we're not recruiting him as hard as we should be. We doled out all the SG offers and he supposedly doesn't have one. He plays on the same AAU team as JB! He's tweeted about taking AP courses and took an official to Stanford! HOW DO YOU NOT KEEP THIS KID HOME?

Nice job holding him to 9. Every indication is that the kid is a big time scorer.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I don't follow basketball nearly as closely as football. I've had good impressions of CBG. I guess I have a couple questions for you guys.

1. How is it that most of you give CPJ a pass for any and all transfers (including our freaking starting QB!!!)? I love CPJ and am 100% behind him, just trying to see why folks in this thread seem to be judging him and CBG by inconsistent standards.

2. Seems like a coach with above average amount of suspensions or transfers could also be seen as a disciplinarian who won't take the crap from the spoiled, entitled children who are probably many of today's recruits. If a guy transferred or was suspended by CPJ, many on this site would probably be siding with CPJ rather than the 19-year-old. Again, I'm a CPJ fan, just trying to get a handle on what appears to be an inconsistency.

Once again, I don't follow the basketball stuff nearly as much as many of you, so I admit I'm not able to judge correctly. I would like some help in my judgement.

Thanks.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
1. CPJ has shown an ability to win. CBG hasn't shown much of anything. His former team didn't seem to mad that he left. CPJ has more leeway.
2. Also, it was clear that Vad and PJ were not on the same page. Vad didn't fit our offense and it was clear to all.
3. It's rare that the best player leaves in basketball. Even more rare for a big man to leave a D1-high major program in the ACC when he's the starter and likely leading scorer. That rarely happens.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't follow basketball nearly as closely as football. I've had good impressions of CBG. I guess I have a couple questions for you guys.

1. How is it that most of you give CPJ a pass for any and all transfers (including our freaking starting QB!!!)? I love CPJ and am 100% behind him, just trying to see why folks in this thread seem to be judging him and CBG by inconsistent standards.

2. Seems like a coach with above average amount of suspensions or transfers could also be seen as a disciplinarian who won't take the crap from the spoiled, entitled children who are probably many of today's recruits. If a guy transferred or was suspended by CPJ, many on this site would probably be siding with CPJ rather than the 19-year-old. Again, I'm a CPJ fan, just trying to get a handle on what appears to be an inconsistency.

Once again, I don't follow the basketball stuff nearly as much as many of you, so I admit I'm not able to judge correctly. I would like some help in my judgement.

Thanks.

@DSGB pretty much hit the nail on the head with his responses, particularly with #1. CBG hasn't won anything of any significance at any level so doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

We've all had positive impressions of CBG but the program is literally in worse shape than it was when he inherited it (anybody wanna debate that?) so the goodwill is evaporating.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Thanks.

3-4 seasons, 7 kids released or transferred out. Scholarship limit is 13. The football scholarship limit is 85. If CPJ had 50 kids released or transferred out in 3-4 years, that would bother me too.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haven't posted here in a while, but since this is a game changer, I thought I'd chime in as well. No doubt that this is devastating to the program. It hurts 2015 recruiting, it hurts the fan base, and it has to have an affect on team morale. I'd love to know what events led to this, but in the end, it doesn't really matter. The decision has been made, and we must now move on. As DTM mentioned, we must continue to support the program and most importantly those guys who wear GT on their chest.

As far as BG is concerned, I have been a big fan of his (despite the fact that I have expected more W's), and I have been pulling for him to turn things around and felt like the needle was beginning to point in the right direction. Yes, he deserves much of the criticism that has come has way, and I'm not sure how he let Carter get away, but without knowing more details of what occurred, I have a hard time calling for his head. If he were fired tomorrow, I wouldn't lose any sleep, and truth be told, it may be what is best for the program in the long run, but I go back to needing more information as to the chain of events to better form an opinion on the status of the GT head coaching position.

At the end of the day, he and Carter may have had an excellent relationship and this may simply be a case of where Carter wants an opportunity to play for a championship. If so, you can't fault the kid, and I'm not sure what Gregory could have done to prevent from going (other than win more or recruit better). With that said, I do not see any way that he is able to recover from this blow, so it is more than likely a matter of time, but until then, I will be rooting for the Yellow Jackets to win every game next season, and if Gregory somehow shocks the world and has a great season, I'll be extremely happy for him.

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes, he deserves much of the criticism that has come has way, and I'm not sure how he let Carter get away, but without knowing more details of what occurred, I have a hard time calling for his head. If he were fired tomorrow, I wouldn't lose any sleep, and truth be told, it may be what is best for the program in the long run, but I go back to needing more information as to the chain of events to better form an opinion on the status of the GT head coaching position.

Carter Jr. out of nowhere told Gregory he wanted to transfer a week ago:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/carter-to-transfer-from-tech/nfwSn/

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, he deserves much of the criticism that has come has way, and I'm not sure how he let Carter get away, but without knowing more details of what occurred, I have a hard time calling for his head. If he were fired tomorrow, I wouldn't lose any sleep, and truth be told, it may be what is best for the program in the long run, but I go back to needing more information as to the chain of events to better form an opinion on the status of the GT head coaching position.
I absolutely think he should be fired. Not sure who we could target, but that is the only way to salvage the upcoming 2015 class. The better players aren't coming here knowing that he will be fired within 10 months.