Robert Carter to transfer

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I can assure you I won't be giving any money to the Tech basketball program while CBG is still the coach. Hope that doesn't hurt the program too much.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
First, while devastatingly disappointing, I'm going to wish Robert Carter the best of luck. He did represent GT well. Twitter is alight with rumors of him going to Maryland, Auburn, and Tennessee already.

Second, I don't know the back story. I don't know how this decision came to pass. I don't know if I'm even allowed to say this here, but Brian Gregory should be fired this afternoon.

I've been on the record as wanting to see BG turn things around and succeed at Georgia Tech, but he needed to have results with regard to 2014 - 2015 record and the 2015 recruiting class. Before either of these things have even had a chance to occur, we've now seen our best player, sure to be our centerpiece this year, and a DEAN'S LIST STUDENT decide he'd rather sit out a year after transferring than play for us, put up a monster year, and potentially go pro early.

To call this occurrence, under any circumstances, unacceptable is an understatement and the tone of the press release would lead one to believe that maybe there's something shady going on, as opposed to anything else (i.e. - be closer to an ill family member, academics, etc), indicating that it should have been defended against.

That's all I've got. I'll continue to support GT and I'll root my heart out for our current players, but that's the fat lady singing for this Head Coach as far as I'm concerned.

This was very well put. CBG doesnt play a fun style of basketball, I dont blame him one bit for leaving. Losing the focal piece of your team has got to be the final nail in the coffin for this regime. It was a cheap hire to keep us afloat until Hewitts contract was up. I dont see Mbob standing for all the transfers and lack of recruiting. He has yet to put his stamp on GT so I think hiring a new bball coach would be a great place to start. We dont stand a chance in hell next year and thats sad to already know that.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This whole ordeal reminds me of the Ed Nelson's transfer to ucon. He was rookie of the year Bosh comes in he bolts for ucon under fishy circumstances. I am certain there has to be a bagman some where in this equation.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Everything I have ever heard about Robert Carter was the he was a positive young man with character. To see something underhanded in this is unfair to Mr. Carter unless there is evidence to support your wild speculation.

I have no idea what has happened, but whatever it was, it happened on CBG's watch, and that indicts him no matter what.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everything I have ever heard about Robert Carter was the he was a positive young man with character. To see something underhanded in this is unfair to Mr. Carter unless there is evidence to support your wild speculation.

I have no idea what has happened, but whatever it was, it happened on CBG's watch, and that indicts him no matter what.
Agree with your second point without question.

Agree and believe that Robert Carter is a positive young man with character. I really do wish him success in the future.

That doesn't mean the mentors/role models/advisors in his life are, nor does it mean that they couldn't get in his ear in a way that led to where we are today.

Just because I think something underhanded may have occurred, it doesn't mean I think Robert Carter was directly part of the underhandedness.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
First, while devastatingly disappointing, I'm going to wish Robert Carter the best of luck. He did represent GT well. Twitter is alight with rumors of him going to Maryland, Auburn, and Tennessee already.

Second, I don't know the back story. I don't know how this decision came to pass. I don't know if I'm even allowed to say this here, but Brian Gregory should be fired this afternoon.

I've been on the record as wanting to see BG turn things around and succeed at Georgia Tech, but he needed to have results with regard to 2014 - 2015 record and the 2015 recruiting class. Before either of these things have even had a chance to occur, we've now seen our best player, sure to be our centerpiece this year, and a DEAN'S LIST STUDENT decide he'd rather sit out a year after transferring than play for us, put up a monster year, and potentially go pro early.

To call this occurrence, under any circumstances, unacceptable is an understatement and the tone of the press release would lead one to believe that maybe there's something shady going on, as opposed to anything else (i.e. - be closer to an ill family member, academics, etc), indicating that it should have been defended against.

That's all I've got. I'll continue to support GT and I'll root my heart out for our current players, but that's the fat lady singing for this Head Coach as far as I'm concerned.

I hope people realize the gravity of what you're saying. You've certainly been supportive and have actually talked me off the ledge in the past, believe it or not.

This last occurrence has some tinges of shade to it (him ending up at Auburn seals it for me) but it should've never gotten to that point. Are we at a point where we're not able to win recruiting battles for players currently on our team?

I'll always support GT and the players on the team. I think it's possible to do that while realizing and acknowledging the staff just isn't getting the job done.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
CBG had better put together a heavy restrict-list (featuring AUB to start). IMO the timing of this justifies being heavy-handed with it.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe Carter would be dumb enough to transfer from Tech just before is Junior year and then sit out a year. That puts the NBA 3 years into the future.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's unfortunate I had to say it, but it's the reality of the situation. Prior to this, I could extrapolate why this staff deserved our continued hope.

While I'll still be 100% behind the players, the opportunity to allow for low expectations is gone.

When you deseve no more mulligans and you manage to lose your best player, I have no more confidence in you as the Head Coach. This is compounded by the fact that in order to sell the hope of the next recruiting class putting us over the top, 50% of your foundation has been wiped out by an earthquake.

Look at the roster at this point. We'll have 1 senior who hasn't played for us, 2 juniors, and then underclassmen. It's one thing to sell playing time when you first arrive, but when you're selling it 3-4 years in with no results to show for it. Forget about it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Next season will be a disaster.

At this point I just want CBG to keep the rig in the road for one more season before turning the wheel over to a professional driver. Just don't run it completely off the highway. :meh:

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Our most talented player... Smh. We need new blood. Someone needs to come in now and work JB for the 15 class. No way he comes here if we give BG another year just for S's and G's.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe Carter would be dumb enough to transfer from Tech just before is Junior year and then sit out a year. That puts the NBA 3 years into the future.

This is what doesn't make any sense to me.

Whatever issues he has with the staff, he was only 1 good year away from declaring for the draft. He was rated one of the best young big men in the nation and that's why he was invited to try out for Team USA Junior along with MGH. Last year he was injured and only got to show a little bit of how much he's improved. Now he has to sit out a year, then play another year before he declares.

Not that his decision is based solely on declaring for the NBA...which leads me to believe something weird is going on. Kelly Quinlan brought up an interesting stat regarding CBG: In the last 3+ seasons, CBG has had 7 players transfer out or been released from scholarship. That's a A LOT of turnover.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think CBG pushes guys out more than is healthy. If Stacey Poole was playing by the rules and trying to do the right thing, he should've been able to stay.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If I thought we could get a good coach now, I'd be ready to move on. Keeping CBG another year will only ruin our shot at a decent 2015 class.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I personally didn't understand the CBG hire the day it happened. And furthermore I didn't understand the contract extension when he had accomplished nothing thus far.

However, I like him as a person. As a coach I just don't understand why he is here.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I personally didn't understand the CBG hire the day it happened. And furthermore I didn't understand the contract extension when he had accomplished nothing thus far.

However, I like him as a person. As a coach I just don't understand why he is here.
Yea as a coach, the only thing he can hang his hat on is he was on IZZOs staff. Maybe his assistants developing Daniel Miller could be thrown in there too but thats IT. Theres no way a top recruit is coming to Tech if CBG is still running the show. Sad but true.