Rivalries

After UGA, which school is Tech's biggest football rival?

• Clemson

• Duke

• UNC

• Other (please specify in the comments below)

• We don't have a real second rivalry.

• And btw, I don't really give a damn about Clemson. It's just another game to me.

Results are only viewable after voting.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting history that I didn't know.e Thanks.
When I was a freshman we had just gotten out of SEC. We still played several SEC teams like Tenn, Auburn, Bama. We also were playing Clemson. I think Dodd would only play them in Atlanta every year. We played them something like 16 straight years in Atlanta.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree about Auburn. Not only does it date back to 1892, we hired Heisman away from Auburn. Auburn and Tech were both technical schools and competed against each other for recruiting in West Georgia. Likewise, Tennessee was a big rivalry because of the Dodd connection AND the many GT alumni who worked in Oak Ridge.

I feel like Clemson is a manufactuEd rivalry that Clemson could caRe less about.
Wrong, we hired Heisman away from Clemson

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree about Auburn. Not only does it date back to 1892, we hired Heisman away from Auburn. Auburn and Tech were both technical schools and competed against each other for recruiting in West Georgia. Likewise, Tennessee was a big rivalry because of the Dodd connection AND the many GT alumni who worked in Oak Ridge.

I feel like Clemson is a manufactuEd rivalry that Clemson could caRe less about.
I completely agree - they have an engr school and were great fames while i was their.

We have a long way to go if we want the tv guys to PROMPT OUR GREAT HISTORIC RIVALRY WITH UGA. Uga is Mega P5. We are Mega G5. We remain a legend in our own mind and not wallet.

Time to Diversify to a SINGLE ( here/ away ) SEC GAME A YEAR. Lets go with Auburn , Tennessee , Uga

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

Heisman was at clemson after auburn. Tech hired him away from clemson, not auburn

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I would say Clemson and VT and my VT friends agree. The ACC should recognize that as a rivalry. It’s dumb we don’t play them this year.

Nothing comes close to UGA, though. UGA could be 0-10 playing a 10-0 Clemson or 10-0 VT and I’d still root agains the mutts.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Kirby lost his last game as a player against Tech (a team CBK was on), and the total score differential between UGA and Tech in Kirby’s 4 years was UGA +11. The largest margin of victory was 9 points in 1997. Kirby grew up and played in one of the last stretches where the rivalry was legitimately competitive. He also knows that owning in-state recruiting and the casual in-state fans is a big deal, and winning the COFH game every year really limits the amount of support Tech can accumulate. He can probably feel that Tech is way more of an actual threat with CBK at the helm than the last couple years of PJs tenure and all of Goof’s time here. It’s no surprise he’s really trying to instill hate into a program that UGA has been able to beat with their eyes closed for over half a decade

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This really comes down to how you define a rival and your archrival. For Tech and uga, that's always been easy. What team, when you lose to them, hurts the worst? I don't think you could find a uga fan who would feel losing to any other team is worse than losing to Tech. While Florida, Tennessee, and Auburn have more meaning for uga, losing to Tech is probably the most gut-wrenching. Losing multiple games in a row, regardless of your success, can and will cost you your job at uga. It cost Gailey his job in 2007 (that and scoring 6 points with Calvin Johnson in an ACCCG).

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone who discounts the historical and geographic significance of the Clemson rivalry is severely afflicted with recency bias. Not playing Clemson would be dumb for many reasons and it is nothing near a "forced" rivalry. They hate that we have historically dominated them. Their norm is not to be a national power and our norm is not to be a doormat.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who discounts the historical and geographic significance of the Clemson rivalry is severely afflicted with recency bias. Not playing Clemson would be dumb for many reasons and it is nothing near a "forced" rivalry. They hate that we have historically dominated them. Their norm is not to be a national power and our norm is not to be a doormat.
There is no question that uga is our archrival. However, our most significant rival is Clemson. Historically, the games have been significant to the health and prosperity of each team. The last 5-7 years aside, GT and Clemson has always been a very close rivalry. It's what I would consider Auburn was until 1988, when we stopped playing them every year.

Between Auburn and Clemson, ViPISUe filled that roll. Interesting how all three of those are the complement to the Land Grant University in their respective state and the "technical" school in that state.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Voting today, based on recent history I would say we don't really have a 2nd rivalry. I have a couple Clemson buddies and I can tell you they pretty much look down their noses at us. And, again based on recent results, in talking to a UNC fan over the summer, he was pretty fired-up to play/beat us, but its hard to rank them as a rival because we would fall way behind Duke and NCState. for them.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Voting today, based on recent history I would say we don't really have a 2nd rivalry. I have a couple Clemson buddies and I can tell you they pretty much look down their noses at us. And, again based on recent results, in talking to a UNC fan over the summer, he was pretty fired-up to play/beat us, but its hard to rank them as a rival because we would fall way behind Duke and NCState. for them.
There is a pretty good rivalry between UVA and WF toward UNC as well. Those ACC teams are also ABC -- Anybody But Carolina. It probably goes back to basketball rivalries with Dean Smith but it still exists among the league.