RIP Demaryius Thomas

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
"Most people saw what Demaryius Thomas could do on the field. Off the field, he was even more special."

I pray the peace of God is with his family.
Romans 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen

What higher praise can be given to anyone, but especially to someone who excelled as DT did on the grid iron, than to say "off the field he was even more special". That is the mark of warrior and a man.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This one hurts. He was one of my favorite players at GT. Actually made me a Broncos fan for a while as well. I was never lucky enough to know him in person but you can tell from the outpouring of twitter goodbye messages from friends and teammates that he was a really special individual. He will be missed.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So sorry to hear about Demaryius passing away way too young. He was one of my favorite Yellow Jackets in the modern era. To me he was right there with Calvin as one of the best receivers ever to play the game. From such humble beginnings to great achievement. His life story, though short, stands as a shining example of what can be accomplished with great effort, hard work, and commitment.

Rest in peace.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
One of the best to ever wear the white and gold on Grant Field. His passing reminds us of how fragile life is. Even for a big, strong, gifted athlete like him. He will always be remembered as the best of the best. Thanks for the memories.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So I wanted to share this story here. This morning my grandson and I went to Waho for breakfast. He loves waffles as do I but I wasn't feeling the All Star Special today which is odd as that is my "go to" order. But I digress which my better half tells me that I am wont to do.

My waitress of course was rocking the silly Christmas sweater and a pair of antlers. A wonderful and witty soul, as most of them tend to be. She commented on my Georgia Tech sweatshirt and pointed to her face on which was painted #88. I did not notice this at first when she brought the menus. This woman was transferred from Denver by her corporation to my area and was downsized sometime recently thereafter due to loss of business related to Covid. (She was trying to move back home but was working at Waffle House as a way to plug the financial hole until the right opportunity came along.) As a lifelong resident of Denver, she was a big Broncos (and DT) fan.

She shared a story of volunteering with the Boys and Girls Clubs (iirc) out there. During this time, she and DT became not quite friends but knew each other on a first name basis. She told of his countless hours of unpublicized work with the Clubs and how he impacted the young men and women he came into contact with. She introduced me to her young daughter (20?) who also was waitressing there. She had met DT through her mom as a young girl and how he made her feel happy with his smile and stories. The two were crying at the end and I was doing my damndest not to as well. As they said (and has been repeated often) "we remember him more for what he was off the field than what he did on the field."

I do not want to leave this world but when I do, I would want to be remembered by the people I encountered in the same way as Demaryius Thomas is remembered by the people he met along his journey here. It's probably not going to happen anymore than I will make a Pro Bowl team or win a Super Bowl ring but one can dream I suppose.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
When you have so, so many people whose lives were touched by your presence and smile and sacrificial giving persona, you had a life well-lived. I am so touched by DT and these testimonies. (unfortunately, as a Dad of a child that died way too soon, I have experience in this area)

I am praying for those close to DT that have lost so much, and offer this very small comfort. DT lived life and TRULY made a difference along the way.