Ride the Playmakers

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I found this post hard to figure out. If you have two straight games where you post over 600 yards total offense and over 40 points, then I think you can say that the ball is in the hands of the "playmakers" almost by definition.

It's like Embry Peeples said once, "If the offense is clicking, it's like watching a video game!" We're in that zone on O now. Wish I could say the same for the D.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Paul Johnson said:
You could give the fans $100, and they would complain about the denominations
Seriously, we've put up 104 points and over 1200 yards the last two games and we're complaining about the offense??

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
oddly enough--even with 460 yds on ground we still could not get over 50% on passing ( 5-12) ,it shouldn't be that hard --we pass just enough to concern the def but we could complete a better%--

Completion percentage is the wrong way to judge our passing game IMO. Look at yards per attempt as a better figure. If I go 0/3 on 3 passes and then complete 1 50 yard TD bomb on 4th down, that's 25% completion, but a pretty good day at the office.

JT also takes care of the ball and doesn't force too many throws and I believe 3 of those incompletions were throwaways.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
oddly enough--even with 460 yds on ground we still could not get over 50% on passing ( 5-12) ,it shouldn't be that hard --we pass just enough to concern the def but we could complete a better%--
I'm pretty sure we had one or two running plays break down and JT threw the ball away to salvage yardage...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think I understand the desire to get the ball into the best playmaker's hands although running option plays by definition doesn't pre-direct the ball to a singular "playmaker". To the extent that it can be done, I believe CPJ already tries to do so through substitutions and play calls. Regardless, when the option is run, having a "playmaker" get the ball can't be predetermined. Certainly we would rather JT option it to someone who has plenty of room to run than try to make something out of nothing. Having said that, there are certainly some players that I would love to see handle the ball more. Surprisingly Snoddy is now high on my list!!!
In a way, you can. When the ball is on either hash, it creates a field side and boundary side. D's tend to put numbers to the field side and that predetermines which way our option plays go based on counting heads. If we put a particular Aback to the field side and run rocket toss, it's a good bet he's getting the ball going towards the boundary.

Animal02

Banned
Completion percentage is the wrong way to judge our passing game IMO. Look at yards per attempt as a better figure. If I go 0/3 on 3 passes and then complete 1 50 yard TD bomb on 4th down, that's 25% completion, but a pretty good day at the office.

JT also takes care of the ball and doesn't force too many throws and I believe 3 of those incompletions were throwaways.

Also......what is better......JT taking a sack for a loss of 5-8 yards or throwing it into the 1st row of seats and getting recorded as an incompletion?

Animal02

Banned
In a way, you can. When the ball is on either hash, it creates a field side and boundary side. D's tend to put numbers to the field side and that predetermines which way our option plays go based on counting heads. If we put a particular Aback to the field side and run rocket toss, it's a good bet he's getting the ball going towards the boundary.

But at the same time, the whole concept of the offense is the inability of the D to predict who is going to get the ball. And I do like the plays CPJ has thrown into the mix to keep the D guessing.....the reverse against UNC and the slow release pass play that was successful against Pitt.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
that is what I meant when I said CPJ "already tries to do this through substitutions and play calls..."

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't mean it as a bad thing. I'm glad we don't depend on one route passing. That Perkins TD was a thing of beauty that I don't think any other CPJ QB (JN, TW, VL) hits.

Hard to criticize a decisive win but CPJ has to get our playmakers the ball more.
Cant keep riding JT, he's not built for the pounding.
With that said got to get Snoddy, Zenon, & Smelter more touches. I'll add Days and Waller to the mix as well. They have shown they are more than capable. Screw a death march and score, score, and score again. Run teams out the stadium.
I thought the distribution was pretty good. No?