Returning players for 2021-22

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Let’s say Jose and Moses both stay in the draft and we get Mike back, along With the addition of DSmith, the return of Ush and Bubba, are we set up to be a top 1/3 tier team in the acc next year? Which obviously is an NCAAT team. I’d hate to see us step back with all the momentum we’re building.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Let’s say Jose and Moses both stay in the draft and we get Mike back, along With the addition of DSmith, the return of Ush and Bubba, are we set up to be a top 1/3 tier team in the acc next year? Which obviously is an NCAAT team. I’d hate to see us step back with all the momentum we’re building.

We'd have the potential. Mike, ush, and hopefully Coleman should make for a good scoring trip. Smith gives us another option alongside Kyle at the 1 which can only help. If rev works his magic and one or more of the bigs develops then we should still be competitive.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I suspect he is leaning the other way, but that's just my guess.

If you have a family to feed, and you have the opportunity to make good money regardless if it's the NBA or not, you have to take that over playing for free and having to scramble to get by as a college student while trying to provide for your family.

Obviously we will miss Alvarado's production, but we'll miss his leadership and will to win the most. If Jose does end up leaving, you have to hope guys like Devoe (if he returns) and Usher step up. Usher really stepped up his game in the leadership department towards the end of the season to match his production. Sturdivant looks ready to run the show full time and he's flashed good potential.

It will be different without Jose if he decides to leave, and it will make Moses's decision even more important.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a family to feed, and you have the opportunity to make good money regardless if it's the NBA or not, you have to take that over playing for free and having to scramble to get by as a college student while trying to provide for your family.

Obviously we will miss Alvarado's production, but we'll miss his leadership and will to win the most. If Jose does end up leaving, you have to hope guys like Devoe (if he returns) and Usher step up. Usher really stepped up his game in the leadership department towards the end of the season to match his production. Sturdivant looks ready to run the show full time and he's flashed good potential.

It will be different without Jose if he decides to leave, and it will make Moses's decision even more important.
NIL + Jose Alvarado = match made in heaven

(assuming it’s in effect next year)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
AJC article on Jose

“(Alvarado is) going to get his information and decide if he’s coming back or not,” Pastner told the AJC. “Nothing’s changed. He’s been planning this all along.”

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Usher (coming back) and Devoe are more important than Jose coming back in my mind. We will be a really deep team next year with those guys plus dsmith, meka, Saba, Coleman, Kelly, sturdivant, Moore, Howard. That’s about 9-10 guys that should be good enough to all get minutes. We’ve been playing about 7. Add Jose and that is firmly 10 guys getting minutes I would think. Add Moses and someone that really might be good enough to get minutes won’t be getting them.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I see it a little differently. I am not sure Jose can do much more in the college game to improve his stock for the draft. Winning ACC DPoY was well deserved, but will be hard to repeat. Especially given the class we have coming in and the likelihood that his minutes will decrease (not that they could increase from where he was at which was 2nd most minutes in ACC: 18th most nationally). He has been one of my all time favorites to come through the flats in any sport, so selfishly I hope he comes back one more year. I just don't know that it is a good business decision for him. Maybe he could make some $$ off the NIL, but it won't touch the upside of the NBA, and given his measurables I think it will only get harder for him to crack the code and get picked up somewhere if he waits. This is the hottest his ticket is likely to get.

Moses, I could see improving his shot from outside and playing more of a traditional 3/4 hybrid to improve his draft stock. If we have the bodies to allow that move then an argument could be made that the year of development here would let us highlight him and Ush in tandem off the wings (which is in and of itself a really exciting prospect).

I still think it comes down to what they hear and the likelihood of returning for either of them is low. Either way I have loved following them both at GT, and will continue to do so wherever they end up playing next year.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I see it a little differently. I am not sure Jose can do much more in the college game to improve his stock for the draft. Winning ACC DPoY was well deserved, but will be hard to repeat. Especially given the class we have coming in and the likelihood that his minutes will decrease (not that they could increase from where he was at which was 2nd most minutes in ACC: 18th most nationally). He has been one of my all time favorites to come through the flats in any sport, so selfishly I hope he comes back one more year. I just don't know that it is a good business decision for him. Maybe he could make some $$ off the NIL, but it won't touch the upside of the NBA, and given his measurables I think it will only get harder for him to crack the code and get picked up somewhere if he waits. This is the hottest his ticket is likely to get.

Moses, I could see improving his shot from outside and playing more of a traditional 3/4 hybrid to improve his draft stock. If we have the bodies to allow that move then an argument could be made that the year of development here would let us highlight him and Ush in tandem off the wings (which is in and of itself a really exciting prospect).

I still think it comes down to what they hear and the likelihood of returning for either of them is low. Either way I have loved following them both at GT, and will continue to do so wherever they end up playing next year.

I think if Jose comes back, it will be because he really wants another year of college ball and/or sees the benefit for a post-basketball career.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
I am seeing stuff on Twitter talking about an ACC guard putting their name in the transfer portal. Sounds like Jose from what I see? Anyone else hearing anything?

GT1988

Jolly Good Fellow
I am seeing stuff on Twitter talking about an ACC guard putting their name in the transfer portal. Sounds like Jose from what I see? Anyone else hearing anything?
That would be very very surprising to me based on what he said in the post game presser after Loyola Chicago. Basically saying that GT has done so much for him and he is so grateful or WTTE. But stranger things have happened.