Returning players for 2021-22

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My lunchtime project today while eating leftover pork chops. Pardon any greasy spots on the post.

Here are the ACC players on the NBA draft early entry list, by team, plus the number of players exiting those programs via the portal. Most of these teams have talent coming in via the portal or high school, but this demonstrates the turnover in the league this year.

Boston College: Steffon Mitchell 6-8 Senior (four in transfer portal)

Clemson: Aamir Simms 6-8 Senior, Clyde Trapp 6-4 Senior, Jonathan Baehre 6-10 Senior (four in transfer portal)

Duke: Jalen Johnson 6-9 Freshman, DJ Steward 6-2 Freshman, Matthew Hurt 6-9 Sophomore (three in transfer portal)

Florida State: M.J. Walker 6-5 Senior, Scottie Barnes 6-9 Freshman, RaiQuan Gray 6-8 Junior Quade, Balsa Koprivica 7-1 Sophomore (two in transfer portal)

Georgia Tech: Moses Wright 6-9 Senior, Jose Alvarado 6-0 Senior (one in transfer portal)

Louisville: David Johnson 6-5 Sophomore, Carlik Jones 6-1 Senior (two in transfer portal)

Miami: Kameron McGusty 6-5 Senior, Isaiah Wong 6-3 Sophomore (five in the transfer portal)

North Carolina: Day’Ron Sharpe 6-11 Freshman, Armando Bacot 6-10 Sophomore (two in transfer portal)

N.C. State: D.J. Funderburk 6-10 Senior (three in transfer portal)

Notre Dame: Juwan Durham 6-11 Senior (one in transfer portal)

Pittsburgh: Justin Champagnie 6-6 Sophomore (five in transfer portal)

Syracuse: Alan Griffin 6-5 Junior, Quincy Guerrier 6-7 Sophomore, Marek Dolezaj 6-10 Senior (six in transfer portal)

Virginia: Trey Murphy III 6-9 Junior, Sam Hauser 6-8 Senior, Junior Jay Huff 7-1 Senior (three in transfer portal)

Virginia Tech: Keve Aluma 6-9 Junior, Cartier Diarra 6-4 Senior (two in transfer portal)

Wake Forest: Ian DuBose 6-4 Senior, Jonah Antonio 6-5 Senior (five in transfer portal)

Notable: UNC lost all four of their bigs. Cuse has a whole new team. Pitt, Wake, and Clemson lost a ton of talent.
So, of those in the Draft, how many of them come back to their school after being undrafted?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Orientalnc thanks for the info. Anyone have any idea of which of those players won't be drafted and return to their schooL?
So, of those in the Draft, how many of them come back to their school after being undrafted?
Here is timeline for the 2021 NBA draft.

July 1 is the deadline to enter the transfer portal.
July 7 is the early entry withdrawal date to remain NCAA eligible.
July 19 is the NBA withdrawal date to be eligible for a future draft.
July 29 is the draft.

The NBA and NBAPA agreed that undrafted players who participated in the combine could remain eligible for a future draft if the notified their AD by Aug 2 that they wanted to return to school. I am not sure if the NCAA or the member schools will allow that since these players missed the July 7 deadline.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the obvious good news here is that Devoe is not even on the list. So he is coming back.

Most of the ACC players on the list will not be back at their schools. Some have already mentioned transfer spots if they don't stay in.
The players most likely to maybe come back to their current school are
Alvarado
McGusty and/or Wong - Miami
Aluma - VT

Those may be the only still considering coming back to their schools at this point. All the others are basically going to play professionally or have already announced transfer destinations.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
after the 0-2 start, there were some (a minority) gtswarmers that were adamant that pastner was/is the right guy and that people calling for his head were delusional. if memory serves, @MtnWasp had the post of the year way back in october or november where he laid out why it was asinine for gt fans to think we needed a new coach.
Yeah, that would have been me getting POed and walking out of the GTSwarm....my Momma always taught me if you didn't have anything good to say, then STFU. So, I did.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think the obvious good news here is that Devoe is not even on the list. So he is coming back.

Most of the ACC players on the list will not be back at their schools. Some have already mentioned transfer spots if they don't stay in.
The players most likely to maybe come back to their current school are
Alvarado
McGusty and/or Wong - Miami
Aluma - VT

Those may be the only still considering coming back to their schools at this point. All the others are basically going to play professionally or have already announced transfer destinations.
The Athletic updated their top 100 players in the NBA Draft. Moses is their #57 and Jose is their #99.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Small ball can play half court offense by spreading the floor. The idea is to make opposing bigs defend on the perimeter or have to cover a lot of space away from the paint, which is not what they want to be doing. If they stay low, that leaves open a perimeter shooter. If they come out, that opens driving lanes.

The issue with going small is on defense. How does a small team counter the post-up game? One way is to extend the defense by picking-up ball pressure further from the basket. The idea is to disrupt the entry passes at the level of the passer. Another way is to use quickness on the blocks, with a lot of switches, alternating fronting and to go for the ball if the big brings it down. We saw Alvarado have considerable success defending bigs in the post in this manner late last year.

I think we have seen the staff make progressive moves toward positionless basketball, for instance, in prioritizing guard rebounding, playing switching defenses, having perimeter players guard the post and playing multiple guard sets. The question now is do we develop a big to go back to a more traditional Princeton high post set (which I think that Gigiberia could excel in) or do we continue the towards the goal of positionless basketball with all the guys on the floor having perimeter skills and that we try a swarming style of defense with lots of perimeter pressure and to really spread the floor on offense?

Traditional roles simply don't really apply in the positionless scheme. You need nearly all of the players to be able to fill all the roles, they all need to handle, shoot from the perimeter, be quick in cuts and to pass. They all have to be rangy defenders on the perimeter that can switch without leaving a bad match-up but also be willing to stick their nose in there on the boards and in the post. Guys like Smith (if you watch his high school tape, he is not afraid of post play) and Sturdivant who is a strong guard who likes to penetrate.

Then there is the question whether you can have different sets based on different personnel? Can we effectively run Princeton sets with a traditional 5 but also go positionless with a small but quick line-up? Could we see where we try it one way and if it doesn't work go to the other later in the season?
We actually do have an issue in going small on offense - that being teams have shown they can ignore Moore on the perimeter and have their big play a one man zone. Regardless of whether he plays 4 (most likely) or slides to the 5 in a positionless game, he is going to have to improve his shooting over the summer. Usher has improved his shooting for sure, but I would expect to see teams with a certain amount of "show me" with him as well.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea if the poster on youtube knows anything but he says "New members of the Georgia Tech team Deivon Smith and JerMontae Hill". JerMontae Hill would be a nice addition to the team.

Hill posted a committed to GT message on twitter or instagram a month or so ago. As I recall there were some behind paywall information stuff that hasn't come to light yet.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It bears without repeating, but I will do so anyway.

This is for 60 slots. Some of the rankings don't matter (if you want a guard there isn't much reason to take a #40 Forward versus a #50 Guard) so it's obviously not as simple as a stacked rank.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It can’t be terrible to see this:
60537AF4-5252-4101-873B-211064695E53.jpeg