retiring #90

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Man, reading this thread has me feeling some kinda way about this whole situation all over again. I hope we do something to commemorate him, and take @33jacket at being wise to mention there is a precedence for this kind of tragedy. I am not in a position to speak about what would be appropriate, but will say I do think the single retired jersey means something and is a unique way to pay respect to Clint and ALL Veterans who have come before and after him.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't think we would retire it. Definitely see us doing something in line like the other comments in this thread: patch/helmet decal and someone rotating through the number each game. Maybe we will even line up first snap of the season on defense with 10 men and an empty spot for Adams like the Redskins did after Sean Taylor was murdered.
I'd like to see something like this too but it's hard to plan for something like this unless we kick to start the game. If we get the ball first, you never know how that first possession will play out and if it will be a good time or key moment to try and execute something like that. With that said, we likely will be kicking to open the season anyway. Clemson probably will want the ball first to get their season rolling with offense, and I see us deferring if we win the toss.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
This is all too soon for me. At some point in the future, I’d like TStan or CGC talk with the family about how they’d like to see GT honor their son’s memory and maybe GT could accommodate. I can’t imagine what they must be going through right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think GT should, and will, honor him in a number of ways this upcoming season. How? I don't know. I leave that to the people closer to him, although I do like the idea of awarding him a degree.

That being said I can't imagine his jersey being retired with what GT has chosen to do with that particular option. My understanding is that Castlebrry has his number retired because not only was he an outstanding player, finished 3rd in the Heisman as a freshman, but he willing gave that up to risk his life serving his country which ultimately cost him everything. It is more an honor for his willing sacrafice than anything else, and in that way extends not just as a way to honor the individual but also to honor all those who made the same choice. As tragic as this is, it doesn't come close to meeting that bar imo. I can't imagine another situation that would to be honest.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At end of the Collins talk at memorial they had q and a. Many nice words and a final question about what gt will do in regard to something to honor BB ( more than stickers). Coach said t stan and I will let some time pass get w family.