Respect ESPN Style

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, there are new threads by the minute and I can't keep up (or get enough :))

I'm usually not a fan of the analysts here, but they actually give a great preview of our game and if they aren't genuinely excited about the matchup they sure fooled me

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Lou Holz: "I love the option, but I had to move from it due to recruiting. Alumni were pressuring me to bring in the top recruits. We were winning, but the alumni didn't care."

Seriously?
I didn't here the section but I'm pretty sure that happened at Notre Dame. I remember seeing an option by them pick up 6 yds and there was boos coming from the stands. This was I about '94 or '95. Now let me remind you this was 6 years after winning a nation championship with an option QB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame won a national championship with Tony Rice leading an option attack.

C'mon people, when are you going lead and not follow the NFL? The NFL will adjust...as they're doing now.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
A vocal element of this fanbase thinks they should get to choose offensive scheme as well. Fans definitely get to complain about wins and losses, as overall record surely decides firings and extensions. I am not so impressed by fans wanting to make schematic and other coaching decisions though. Anyway, there is definitely an element like what Holtz encountered everywhere and they will peep up again here as soon as they feel again emboldened.

I am actually impressed that the most important big-money Tech donors have proven to have the good sense you would expect of Tech people. They seem to have decided to support CPJ based on overall results and an evaluation of the direction of the program rather than being distracted by whatever schematic preferences they may happen to have.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
A vocal element of this fanbase thinks they should get to choose offensive scheme as well. Fans definitely get to complain about wins and losses, as overall record surely decides firings and extensions. I am not so impressed by fans wanting to make schematic and other coaching decisions though. Anyway, there is definitely an element like what Holtz encountered everywhere and they will peep up again here as soon as they feel again emboldened.

I am actually impressed that the most important big-money Tech donors have proven to have the good sense you would expect of Tech people. They seem to have decided to support CPJ based on overall results and an evaluation of the direction of the program rather than being distracted by whatever schematic preferences they may happen to have.
Money can't fix stupid. It usually just makes it worse... We have been lucky with our donors.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Nothing like thinking about the long term! Successful people usually do :)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We need back to back success to cement our presence in the national discussion. If we can duplicate this year's success, next year, a tall order indeed, we'll see the blue chip/scholar athletes lining up at our door. There's not a ton of those types, but to have them targeting us for a change would be a godsend.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
no question Cheese.. we need to get to the level where they are looking at us as an option to play "bigboy" foosball and still get the world class education.

We really are an attractive choice for that type STUDENTathlete

Animal02

Banned

I remember all to well the booing as Tevin took the field in a game or two from fans that thought VL was the salvation for Tech football. IMO....Tevin was/is an exemplary Tech player.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Lou Holz: "I love the option, but I had to move from it due to recruiting. Alumni were pressuring me to bring in the top recruits. We were winning, but the alumni didn't care."
You have to remember where he was coaching. Being the coach at Notre Dame or Bammer or Texas and a couple of others is different and the alums have a much bigger role. Look at Bill Curry at Bammer. He comes in, wins 10 games in 2 of his three years, then leaves because he can't get along with Lee Roy Jordan, who hated Tech with a vengeance.

This is one reason why I, were I a football coach, I wouldn't coach in any of these places, even given the smooth path toward a great career. And, nowadays, with big donors looming so much larger in colleges and universities, it's even worse. Luckily, at Tech we tend to go by results, not by fan aesthetics.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Which is why - even if people don't want to follow the gold standard - we should NEVER boo our team. As a guy who played lots of sports (though never while at GT) I cringe anytime this happens
Especially when it's coming from someone overweight, and that never played the game themselves. People like that make me POed faster than anything.