Resilient Taquon Marshall: CPJ’s last QB...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's been doing excellent work for at least the last 2 years, and what he did before that wasn't bad either.

You must have missed the thread where some fans were complaining about him.

I always thought Ken got a bad rap because CPJ went off on him and threatened to withold info because Ken reported on an injury. Lots of fans sided with CPJ. There's a HUGE difference between the pieces Ken writes for the bball team and the pieces he writes for the football team. I think TStan coming in and understanding the value of media and having media on your side changed a lot of things in the past couple of years...which coincides with your "at least the last 2 years".

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Gee, my mistake, folks! I just assumed Ken wrote it, and did not notice in the byline that Steve Hummer is the author of the piece. I’m sorry for my mistake... and thank you for correcting me.

Steve Hummer is another one of the AJC’s few good sportswriters. Hummer doesn’t write about GT daily like Ken does (Ken is the AJC’s GT beat writer, after all) but when he does, it’s usually a good report. And here in this piece about TaQuon, Hummer did a splendid job.

Again, I apologize for my mistake. Thanks, guys.

Gee, my mistake, folks! I just assumed Ken wrote it, and did not notice in the byline that Steve Hummer is the author of the piece. I’m sorry for my mistake... and thank you for correcting me.

Steve Hummer is another one of the AJC’s few good sportswriters. Hummer doesn’t write about GT daily like Ken does (Ken is the AJC’s GT beat writer, after all) but when he does, it’s usually a good report. And here in this piece about TaQuon, Hummer did a splendid job.

Again, I apologize for my mistake. Thanks, guys.
I think several others of us made the same mistake.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
FWIW Ken has done multiple “human interest” stories about CPJ (like the ones about his daughter)...

To me, that doesn’t signal a bad relationship.

Also pauls wrestle him comment at the last pressure suggests the two have a bit more of a friendly banter than that. I have no doubt he was pissed when ken went around his back. but they probably patched that up years ago.

Deleted member 2897

What a piece of excrement article. How many jabs must you take at people when you're supposed to be writing a human interest story?

"completing three of his four meager passes"
"if by chance someone cares to remember him"
"not by any charitable stretch could Marshall be called the best player Johnson has ever coached"
"More immediate is a lower-tier bowl game on the day after Christmas in Detroit"

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I always thought Ken got a bad rap because CPJ went off on him and threatened to withold info because Ken reported on an injury.

It was not about an injury, it was about a player who was ruled academically ineligible. CPJ asked everyone not to report it for ONE day out of respect to the kid and to let the player announce it in his own way (twitter, whatever), but Ken went ahead and posted 'DUMB GT PLAYER INELIGIBLE CUZ NO STUDY STUDY".

Of course that's not how the headline read, but if you were the player, I'm pretty sure you would take it that way when everyone in the world sees it on the front page of the sports section of the paper.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It was not about an injury, it was about a player who was ruled academically ineligible. CPJ asked everyone not to report it for ONE day out of respect to the kid and to let the player announce it in his own way (twitter, whatever), but Ken went ahead and posted 'DUMB GT PLAYER INELIGIBLE CUZ NO STUDY STUDY".

Of course that's not how the headline read, but if you were the player, I'm pretty sure you would take it that way when everyone in the world sees it on the front page of the sports section of the paper.

Dang message boards...that was the rumor floating around all these years.

I mean I get it...but I don't think CPJ ever really let it go. IMO, there are better ways to handle it. He's been pissy towards Ken for a while, and it was a running joke among the media that Ken was CPJ's whipping boy. GT and the AJC should work together. There is definitely a disparity between the articles being put out on the bball side and football side. I think we'll start seeing higher quality work on the football side now...if only because CGC is VERY aware of the positives that comes with working well with the media.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Dang message boards...that was the rumor floating around all these years.

I mean I get it...but I don't think CPJ ever really let it go. IMO, there are better ways to handle it. He's been pissy towards Ken for a while, and it was a running joke among the media that Ken was CPJ's whipping boy. GT and the AJC should work together. There is definitely a disparity between the articles being put out on the bball side and football side. I think we'll start seeing higher quality work on the football side now...if only because CGC is VERY aware of the positives that comes with working well with the media.

It's well-known that CPJ doesn't suffer fools, and there are many times that Ken puts his foot in his mouth. CPJ probably just barely tolerated Ken because he was, after all, GT's beat writer for the Atlanta paper. Remember the whole, "Do you teach your corners to look for the ball?" question from Ken? CPJ probably could've handled it better, but he's probably too old to care about it. And to your point, CGC will probably do a better job with the local media.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's well-known that CPJ doesn't suffer fools, and there are many times that Ken puts his foot in his mouth. CPJ probably just barely tolerated Ken because he was, after all, GT's beat writer for the Atlanta paper. Remember the whole, "Do you teach your corners to look for the ball?" question from Ken? CPJ probably could've handled it better, but he's probably too old to care about it.

Oh I get it...but I think as an HC, unless a writer out and out disrespects you and the program, sometimes you gotta hold back a little. IMO, he should have let the SID handle Ken behind the scenes and not make such a public scene out of it. Does GT no good to have the biggest media outlet in GA lukewarm towards the program.

As they say, the pen is mightier than the sword.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Oh I get it...but I think as an HC, unless a writer out and out disrespects you and the program, sometimes you gotta hold back a little. IMO, he should have let the SID handle Ken behind the scenes and not make such a public scene out of it. Does GT no good to have the biggest media outlet in GA lukewarm towards the program.

As they say, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Let it go. Seriously, do you not see the irony of posting a complaint about cpj not letting it go after he's gone?

Of course, now's the time to turn it back on me.