Remarkable stat for TM

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Coach has been more hands on the last 2 weeks.
Bingo

Navy ran this bunch formation against ND when they had manly wide receivers - watch Camp take the o l b! Looks like smelter!

On one the runs by 8 - we ran a b 31 starts right and the breaks down field with 75-- 83 seals and 73 down blocks. Track meet!

This is the best the skill players have played since the 2014 run - when cheese called it!

What if we open the full play book - oh please beat hxxx out of the dukies.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I was hoping you or @steebu would chime in on this topic. I trust you know more about it than most who post here, especially me.

Is there something to my thinking about blocking assignment simplification?

I only saw our first 3 drives against Louisville; I don't think anything is glaringly different in terms of splits or blocking assignments. In my opinion I'd go back to something CPJ often says (paraphrased): "Sometimes it isn't calling a particular play or a using a different strategy. Sometimes guys just have to play better."

Watch the RG and RT on this triple option - both get cleanly to the 2nd level and get hats on the LB's and spring TQM (great read by TQM on the dive key):

We often moan and groan about the Counter Option, but it can be so effective when we run it properly. What springs it here is Parker pulling from his LG spot and logging the ILB. Kudos to Jahaziel for not getting pushed into the backfield and obstructing Parker's path. Everyone is accounted for: the MLB, the backside LB's, and the ILB to the playside (cut by Parker). Watch how the initial counter step by TQM freezes the LB cut by Parker.

Now, to be fair, we're not playing Clemson. But I've heard rumors that sometimes Clemson's D-Line makes shotgun spread offenses look pretty ineffective, too.

Ultimately it just really comes down to this: when we are facing relatively equal talent and we execute we can't be stopped. Our execution has been far, far better the last two weeks than the first four. Whether that's because CPJ is coaching TQM or the OL coaches lit a fire under the OL's rear end, I don't know, but I'm glad it's getting better.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
all seven vs Louisville on 10/5 (6 TD, 1 FG).

.....go read it again

Yes, he was. The stat does not include all drives in every game, just the ones led by TQM. Though, I’m not sure if they’re counting Oliver’s TD when TQM’s helmet came off against U of L.

Mate it removed the ones Oliver led

I missed that. Didn't realize how many touchdowns we've scored lately.

He got the math wrong though against Louisville. TQM came out of the game when we had 38 points (which isn't 6 touchdowns and a field goal).

But it's all good - happy TQM is playing well.

/

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
all seven vs Louisville on 10/5 (6 TD, 1 FG).

He counted the drive that got us .That 6th rd because oliver took over for Marshall for 2 plays

I missed that. Didn't realize how many touchdowns we've scored lately.

He got the math wrong though against Louisville. TQM came out of the game when we had 38 points (which isn't 6 touchdowns and a field goal).

But it's all good - happy TQM is playing well.

/

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I had to rewatch this game Saturday because I was watching in my phone Friday night. But the thing that caught my eye was the speed that we ran at. The Oline, TM, the Bback and Abacks. The Oline was firing off the line faster than I have seen all year. TaQuon and the backs looked like it was a replay of last years UT game. When TM or TO put that foot in the ground they flat out took off.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Love seeing TM let the game come to him. He needs to consistently do that and we’ll be okay. Of course, Duke will be a grind and a much bigger task than the last 2 weeks and we need him to stay focused.

One encouraging play that I haven’t seen mentioned was a particular triple option. TaQuon pulled it from the bback and immediately pitched it to The A-back (Cottrell I think). A defender was coming quick off the edge and had TM carried it down the line at all he wouldn’t have had a chance. It was a pretty big gain that probably would’ve been a short loss if he had just ate it like he’s done in the past. Nesbitt was great at pulling and quick pitching but that’s the first time I’ve seen TM ever do it. Hoping to see our QB continue to make strides over the 2nd half of the season.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s a small thing, but I think TQM and TO were both setting up for the snap lower than at the beginning of the season—they were in a squat to take the snap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So the pitch seems to be fixed.

Also the see, stop, pop pass(not throw) gas been working.

Looks like we are about to see the full playbook.

Go Jackets.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Coach said Taquon didn't miss a read against Bowling Green. He played exceptional in both.

I think he actually said he made the majority of the reads correctly and we still managed positive plays on the few he might have missed.

That’s still good play no matter how ya slice it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think he actually said he made the majority of the reads correctly and we still managed positive plays on the few he might have missed.

That’s still good play no matter how ya slice it.

Sometimes the read is you just got bea ton that play and to eat it. If you want to know more fidn the CPJ playbook from southern there is a huge section on how the QB is suppose to think.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The thing more encouraging for me is that many of the improvements I am seeing are not primarily dependent on opposition level.

For example, the Abacks tracking more smoothly and quicker when TQM turns it up field is all about the guys being keyed in (yes it is possible that top 5 level def may have been more disruptive but still this shouldn't be improved just because of competition).

The Offensive line looked to me to be a step quicker last week (maybe it is just because we were on turf, but I hope it is them waking up from the funk and playing as a unit, in fact THE UNIT that coach wanted originally but hasn't fielded yet due to injuries).

Our BBacks seem to be hitting the gap with more certainty and seem to be looking for a hit and the Defenses are getting shucked a little more.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
The thing more encouraging for me is that many of the improvements I am seeing are not primarily dependent on opposition level.

For example, the Abacks tracking more smoothly and quicker when TQM turns it up field is all about the guys being keyed in (yes it is possible that top 5 level def may have been more disruptive but still this shouldn't be improved just because of competition).

The Offensive line looked to me to be a step quicker last week (maybe it is just because we were on turf, but I hope it is them waking up from the funk and playing as a unit, in fact THE UNIT that coach wanted originally but hasn't fielded yet due to injuries).

Our BBacks seem to be hitting the gap with more certainty and seem to be looking for a hit and the Defenses are getting shucked a little more.
TM's pitches were a thing of beauty as well. He seems to force the LB's to commit to him before he would pitch. Took a couple of hard steps towards them to bring them in then pitched it. Was really good to see, reminded me of the JT would pitch the ball sometimes.