Remarkable stat for TM

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps that's a more remarkable stat for the offensive line, which never gets enough credit. The OL coming together has a lot more to do with recent offensive success than any other factor.

We'll see how they do against Duke, which seems to have a decent defense. Folks should try watching the LOS and DBs instead of the ball.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not terribly mistaken (and I very well could be because I'm doing little more than guessing), our improvement has come from simplifying what our OL is doing. It seems to me that our splits have narrowed considerably for the last couple of games. I think what we're seeing from our OL is more like what Navy does than what we've been trying to do. Again, I could just be seeing things, but it has just struck me over the last couple of games that we look like Navy with better athletes.

I guess we'll see when we play Duke. They are a good team this year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not terribly mistaken (and I very well could be because I'm doing little more than guessing), our improvement has come from simplifying what our OL is doing. It seems to me that our splits have narrowed considerably for the last couple of games. I think what we're seeing from our OL is more like what Navy does than what we've been trying to do. Again, I could just be seeing things, but it has just struck me over the last couple of games that we look like Navy with better athletes.

Remember Duke lines up 1 to 1.5 yards from the LOS.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

It does appear that the splits have narrowed. It will be interesting to see if this forces the MLB at Duke to stay at home verses scraping hard over the top.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Lining up back a yard and half is a good strategy if we try to cut. At least this past week, we did more drive and trap blocking.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Good stat, except that TQM was not the quarterback on quite a few of those series...

/
Yes, he was. The stat does not include all drives in every game, just the ones led by TQM. Though, I’m not sure if they’re counting Oliver’s TD when TQM’s helmet came off against U of L.

Our improvement is also largely in part due to the opponents. We went from a top 2 team and defense(Clemson) to #125 and #100 (BG and Loserville). TM's QB Keepers look alot more impressive against weak teams than they did when he got stonewalled running the exact same plays vs Clemson.

What I took away is that we aren't making stupid mistakes in either of the last 2 games and our PK looks legit, as well as your observation that our OL is making plays too. The D still gave up a ton of yards vs Loserville, though much of that was when the game had been decided.

Duke's the big test. TBD.

I think Oliver is great and is only going to get better, but, at least for now, TM should start, unless he is injured. I would like to see Oliver come in at some unexpected times though, as long as overall things are under control.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member

Mason’s short setup behind TM is pretty Navy-esque to me too. That’s mostly a function of speed/acceleration.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Mason’s short setup behind TM is pretty Navy-esque to me too. That’s mostly a function of speed/acceleration.

I was hoping you or @steebu would chime in on this topic. I trust you know more about it than most who post here, especially me.

Is there something to my thinking about blocking assignment simplification?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, , I noticed the splits myself. It does look more like Navy now. I think their great year with Wirth had a strong influence on their OL schemes. In 2016, they lined up with smaller splits and did a lot of drive blocking. They've done more of that since. Army too, btw.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A huge improvement I’ve noticed over last year is the mesh. Last year’s mesh wasn’t fooling anyone, this year it’s very deceptive, like it’s supposed to be.

Pitch relationship is much better, too. I think a lot of it is opponent driven as well. When our OL gets push, it keeps Dlinemen from disrupting timing/spacing, etc. It remains to be seen how much of our better play is genuine improvement vs out manning the recent opposition.