Reggie Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTBMike

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure if you guys caught BuzzTalk Radio last night but Reggie Ball called in and dropped a couple of gems. Was surprised by his level of commitment to GT with all the grief he gets from the fan base. Not sure for you guys, but it changed my perception a bit.

www.buzztalk.podbean.com

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I never thought Reggie was disliked by Tech fans. His play might have been criticized or him flunking out before a bowl game, but I think everyone always appreciated his toughness and contributions to Tech football.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Disagree. Tech fans took his struggles personally. Every time I hear his name brought up in conversation the majority present express their disdain clearly. Which I think is shameful. No doubt in my mind, in good and bad, he gave his all. I will always respect him for that.

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
Reggie frustrated the hell out of me, but a lot of it wasn't his fault. And you're damn right he gave it his all every snap. As a kid, I sent him a random pick-me-up email after the loss to ND in the opener and I was pretty pumped that he sent back a response, so I have always had a soft spot for him. I hope he succeeds at whatever he is up to these days.

OTBMike

Georgia Tech Fan
Reggie Ball is the most "hated" GT football player of all time which is sad. It's even recognized outside the program that he is not thought highly of. If he was that bad, then the coaches should have sat him down and put someone else in who was better.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If he was that bad, then the coaches should have sat him down and put someone else in who was better.

There WAS no one better. That is on the coaches, not Reggie. The vast majority of us have no doubt he did the best that he could and gave all that he could. With that being said,he no doubt would better remembered without his unfortunate comment after one of the Uga losses.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am not a Reggie fan, but it has nothing to do with football. I'll just leave it at that. I do recognize that he tried really hard on the field. He tried to do too much at times, and I don't think he got the coaching help he needed.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Reggie Ball is the most "hated" GT football player of all time which is sad. It's even recognized outside the program that he is not thought highly of. If he was that bad, then the coaches should have sat him down and put someone else in who was better.
"Hated"? Tech fans are generally so mild that it is difficult to believe they really bear a grudge against any man who wore gold and white.
Reggie frustrated me at times but I was always impressed with his effort and want to. Great to see he is a Tech man and wish him all the best. He deserves our support and heartfelt thanks for what he did. Welcome Reggie to that most exclusive fraternity the Georgia Tech fan. No doubt he will recognize the highs and lows that come with being a Tech man.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. Tech fans took his struggles personally. Every time I hear his name brought up in conversation the majority present express their disdain clearly. Which I think is shameful. No doubt in my mind, in good and bad, he gave his all. I will always respect him for that.

One of the few times in my life I was ashamed of being a GT fan was in 2008...CPJ's first game for GT. Reggie was attending the game and coming down the stairs in crutches to get to his seat. He got injured that summer in Detroit Lion's mini-camp. As he was coming down the aisle, a supposed "GT fan" started booing Reggie then yelled "You suck, Reggie!"

I said out loud to my buddy so everyone around could hear us "Seriously, what kind of person cares to boo someone who use to play for their team?" Then the "fan" said..."Reggie's a grown up...and he sucks."

I think if we could have, our section would have voted that "GT Fan" off the island that day.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I remember Reggie in a Jekyll and Hyde manner because that is basically who he was, or who fans made him out to be, or so my 10 year old head thought.

He was the first QB that I really remember specifically around the time that I became a GT fanatic as a kid. I remember going to games with Joe at QB when I was 6-7, but those memories are faded and very vague. I do specifically remember being at the UNC game when Godsey (more like Joe Burns) lead us to a 28-21 win, and I remember a heartbreaking beat down we received by Maryland that same year (2001 I think). But, the magical moments of beating auburn twice in a row (while living in Alabama was HUGE), and the always memorable Calvin Clemson game, were really the moments that made me the GT fan that I am today, and Reggie was a huge part of that.

I think a lot of fans were frustrated by Reggie because he showed so much promise as a freshman, but he just couldn't live up to the expectations, whether they were fair or not. I do appreciate Reggie, and I wish him nothing but the best.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
He got everything that comes with the position. The QB always gets too much credit for wins and losses. Reggie always gave it his all and that's all you can ask. Ask NY Giants fans how they feel about Eli Manning any given year. You'll get a different answer from every one of them

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Reggie never played behind a good offensive line, but ignorant fans always blame the QB. That hasn't happened at GT since...last Saturday.

Reggie never played for a good QB coach. He wasn't any better as a SR than he was as FR. Is the lack of improvement his fault?

Reggie never played for a good OC. People blame him for the 4th down spike at UGA, but his OC was on the sideline telling him to do it. Ignorant fans blame the QB, not the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.