Reggie Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Reg's big problem was Gailey's: he never played a season where Tech had a full bench. I always thought Chan was a magician because we kept on winning despite the NCAA recruiting limits. Chan's first few years we played a Power 5 schedule with a FCS bench. It got slightly better, but not by much.

Reg's other problem is that he played under a real pro style coach. The pick of the players went to Tenuta's D. Further, after his first staring season, it was obvious that Chan told him to quit throwing interceptions, even if that meant a lower passing percentage and fewer yards. Passes he would have forced when he was a frosh, he threw away for the next three years, even with Calvin to throw to. Soooo … fewer TDs, less yardage, and fewer turnovers. With a good D, it was the last that Chan was aiming at. That worked until the ACC championship game with Wake. A few more risks would have won that game.

I always liked Reg and I think he would have been lights out in our present system.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember the Wake game a bit differently. It was wet and cold and we kept throwing the bomb. If we had let Choice have the ball, I believe we would have won. Reggie won some big games, and let's remember his offensive coordinator- who I can't remember his name - rated right up there with b**** l*w** in my book. Former Auburn QB.

I think Reggie will never live down his UGA performances however. Throw out of bounds, interception at goal line late one year to lose 14-7 and another year we lost when we had a much better team by 15-12.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he would've been very good with Friedgen as his OC/QB coach.

Pat Nix did nothing to make him better.

Honestly, IMO, the worst thing that could've happened for Reggie was beating Auburn in his first collegiate home game and getting carried away on the shoulders of the student section. I think this built up an expectation that he could never live up to.

I respect the heck out of the way he competed, but he never really had a chance to live up to the expectations laid on him. Especially with the offense he was asked to run.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
I never thought Reggie was disliked by Tech fans.

You don't know too many Tech fans who were on campus during Reggie's time then. I know a couple of people who will still start cursing at the mention of his name. It's kind of pathetic actually, the amount of hatred they hold for someone who despite his flaws gave his all for Tech on the football field.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I will admit to being one of those who felt anger and cursed Reggie Ball's name. I will also tell you I am ashamed of that and that I was totally wrong. In fact, I vowed after the Reggie Ball years to never, ever swear or curse or even yell nasty things at another GT player...a pledge that I have faithfully kept since.

Reggie did not really deserve my anger. (Now, Patrick Nix DID deserve my anger...but not so much Reggie). I do believe Reggie tried his best and played when hurt and did things many others would laud. He was hurt (imho) by saying things that put him in a bad light. His comments after losing to Georgia...the infamous "it's just a game, dawg" comment....irritated...no, enraged, many older GT fans. It suggested he did not care about the game the way "we" cared, and then you add in language that sounded like thuggish, from-the-hood speech....and you get a bad combination. I think he likely had a healthier attitude about the game than many older GT fans, but it came across all wrong.

I have always been embarrassed by my own reactions to Mr. Ball. I am sure he wasn't perfect, but then, neither am I.

I do now maintain my pledge to be only positive at GT games. I always remember these are young men doing their best, and that it IS just a game. I am close enough to be heard on the bench and yell supportive things rather than negative things. Any time I get frustrated, I think of Reggie, and I STFU rather than say anything nasty. So, in that sense, I learned something indirectly from Mr. Ball.....thanks Reggie!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
In a bit of irony, I happen to believe that Reggie would have made an unreal option QB. He had toughness, running ability, and big arm.

EDIT: Apparently this has been covered. Apologies.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's how I remember the Wake game... First possession we drive down the field, and it's 3rd & goal from the 4 yard line, right hash. Calvin drags underneath from right to left, Reggie rolls left, and all he's gotta do is deliver the football in front of his receiver near the pylon. Instead Reggie rears back and fires a bullet so hard and so behind that even Megatron can't get a finger on it. From my vantage point in the stadium I was right in-line with the throw and I kid you not Reggie slung that crap off-target by ~6 yards. That is no exaggeration. After that we never score a TD and lose 9-6.

I know that's just one play but it's a microcosm of Ball's horrendous ineptitude right there. Easy play that any Div-1 quarterback could make but Reggie found a way to screw it up. It always felt like we won games in spite of our QB rather than because if him. On few occasions when he'd put the football on target to Calvin he'd take it to the house, but those moments were so rare Johnson made a career of making superhuman catches of errant throws. To those who blame Nix's unimaginative offense I'll counter that he could only install basic pass plays because Ball could only be trusted to attempt the most rudimentary of throws.

Reggie Ball: The consistently-poor decision-making.. the exceptional inaccuracy.. the feeble scrambling ability.. the surely attitude. How can you Ball apologists not remember all that?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's how I remember the Wake game... First possession we drive down the field, and it's 3rd & goal from the 4 yard line, right hash. Calvin drags underneath from right to left, Reggie rolls left, and all he's gotta do is deliver the football in front of his receiver near the pylon. Instead Reggie rears back and fires a bullet so hard and so behind that even Megatron can't get a finger on it. From my vantage point in the stadium I was right in-line with the throw and I kid you not Reggie slung that crap off-target by ~6 yards. That is no exaggeration. After that we never score a TD and lose 9-6.

I know that's just one play but it's a microcosm of Ball's horrendous ineptitude right there. Easy play that any Div-1 quarterback could make but Reggie found a way to screw it up. It always felt like we won games in spite of our QB rather than because if him. On few occasions when he'd put the football on target to Calvin he'd take it to the house, but those moments were so rare Johnson made a career of making superhuman catches of errant throws. To those who blame Nix's unimaginative offense I'll counter that he could only install basic pass plays because Ball could only be trusted to attempt the most rudimentary of throws.

Reggie Ball: The consistently-poor decision-making.. the exceptional inaccuracy.. the feeble scrambling ability.. the surely attitude. How can you Ball apologists not remember all that?

You're pretty new and seemingly every post is RB-bashing. Jilted ex?

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah it started as a little jab that I figured everyone would chuckle at. Instead I'm astounded to discover an incredible phenomenon of Tech fans actually *defending* Reggie Ball? Mind-blowing stuff.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You're pretty new and seemingly every post is RB-bashing. Jilted ex?

Glad u are on board. Laugh off the long time posteds and I will learn a lot on this forum.

He and chan were like vad and cpj, they did not work out.
He tried his hardest imo and being qb is tough.
Yes I yelled at tv but on reflection I know he stood tough for gt.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it started as a little jab that I figured everyone would chuckle at. Instead I'm astounded to discover an incredible phenomenon of Tech fans actually *defending* Reggie Ball? Mind-blowing stuff.
We defend Reggie because he always played his hardest for us, he's been a good representative of the school off the field, and he loves Tech despite receiving a lot of abuse/criticism while he was here. It's not his fault his coaches completely failed to put anything even resembling a competent offense on the field. His year to year progress was a clear indicator of bad QB coaching. Sorry, dude, I'll defend Reggie all day long. It's been 10 years since he played here...maybe you should let it go, buddy. It's not good to hold on to grudges like that.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

There were some tough moments to watch during the RB years. But as I get older I tend to look back fondly on the guys who left it all on the field. RB was certainly one of those. That doesn't mean I didn't lose my mind from time to time! ;)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We defend Reggie because he always played his hardest for us, he's been a good representative of the school off the field, and he loves Tech despite receiving a lot of abuse/criticism while he was here. It's not his fault his coaches completely failed to put anything even resembling a competent offense on the field. His year to year progress was a clear indicator of bad QB coaching. Sorry, dude, I'll defend Reggie all day long. It's been 10 years since he played here...maybe you should let it go, buddy. It's not good to hold on to grudges like that.

Pretty much exactly this.

At this point it's beyond petty to continue to ride the guy. Now Luginbill, that's a different story. :mad:

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure how trying hard has anything to do with this -- We're talking about football not basketball or distance running. Honestly before logging-on I have never met any Tech fan who sees RB as anything but awful. Clearly the 10+ years have faded some memories around here.

Let's just move on and focus on signing Campbell, Woods, Finely, Carter...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how trying hard has anything to do with this -- We're talking about football not basketball or distance running. Honestly before logging-on I have never met any Tech fan who sees RB as anything but awful. Clearly the 10+ years have faded some memories around here.

Let's just move on and focus on signing Campbell, Woods, Finely, Carter...
Just FYI it's a very bad look for fans to talk smack about guys (and you definitely cross the line from "valid criticism" to "smack talk") 10 years after they are done playing for just not being as good as you hoped. He was a 4 year starter, had decent numbers, and won some huge games for us (including taking us to a conference championship game). That is by its very definition not "awful". But hey, you have a 10 year old axe to grind.
Also, the Ball family is very well regarded around Stephenson HS, which is a major producer of D1 talent. You really think it's a good idea to keep crapping on the guy if you want us to get the best players possible?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As a reminder for all members of GTSwarm (old and new) the following rules are in place for a reason so please be aware of them when talking about current/former players, coaches, and staff.

GTSwarm.com Georgia Tech Forum Rules
We would like to try to keep the community rules to a minimum as we want GTSwarm.com to become a great place for Georgia Tech fans to come discuss all topics related to Georgia Tech and its athletics teams. However, as passionate fans, we must also realize that discussions can get heated and turn ugly in a hurry. As a matter of keeping this site an open yet civilized place for all Georgia Tech fans, we have the following rules:

No Personal Attacks.

Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff. There are ways to disagree with someone or an idea but still be civil about it in public discourse. We are not like other fans that like to bark at each other. For a better definition of personal attacks, please see ad hominem and no personal attacks.
Any member who is intentionally obnoxious, abusive, disruptive, spammy, or "trolling" may be sent a warning as a reminder or even be banned without warning at the discretion of a moderator. These rules may be changed at any time without notice. However, if you have any feedback about the community rules or ways to improve the site in general please post here.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Whoa whoa where did anyone cross the line? The only part where somebody went beyond civil was the joke about a jilted lover. (hehe btw). I'm trying to drop this - Don't make me throw down statistics just to prove a sad point and bury the guy.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Whoa whoa where did anyone cross the line? The only part where somebody went beyond civil was the joke about a jilted lover. (hehe btw). I'm trying to drop this - Don't make me throw down statistics just to prove a sad point and bury the guy.
Im not sure you get it. Nobody in here is trying to argue with you about whether Reggie Ball was a great QB or not. Most fans just don't feel the need to keep bashing on the guy 10 years later when he took plenty of abuse during his playing days and still somehow has a positive attitude about GT. If you are still upset over his level of play then your gripe really should be with Chan Gailey anyways. He had plenty of time to develop him or find a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.